PDA

View Full Version : New Star Wars RPG in playtest

Grimace
18 August 2012, 09:25 PM
It looks like Fantasy Flight has now released a beta version of the new Star Wars Roleplaying Game. It's going to cost you about 30 bucks to take part in the beta playtest, but you could have a part in forging the new game by providing useful and helpful feedback.

Check out the details: HERE (http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_minisite.asp?eidm=218&enmi=Star%20Wars:%20Edge%20of%20the%20Empire%20Beta)

red5_5
19 August 2012, 06:45 PM
Sounds interesting...I'm not sure if I'll spring for the beta book or if I should wait for the finished product. I'm intrigued by FFG's decision to split the game into different core books for different settings. It will be a different take on the setting than WotC and WEG. I can't wait to learn more.

boccelounge
20 August 2012, 07:58 PM
I dunno... great news that FFG is finally moving ahead with the license, and I look forward to seeing what they come up with... but $30 to playtest? I don't care about $30 (if it's a good game), but it seems rather greedy. I have my name in a handful of sourcebooks as "original playtester," but I've never been asked to pay for it.

Are they experiencing a little "sticker shock?"

Say what you want about WotC... but they previewed all the games for free. Just sayin'.

Grimace
21 August 2012, 04:15 AM
Yeah, the pay-to-playtest seems a little odd to me. At one time I think they do a disservice to the gaming community by not putting the playtest out there for everyone to run through the wringer. While at the same time I guess I can understand that if you spend 30 bucks you might actually feel invested to give it a playtest and turn in a playtest report rather than just picking it up and letting it languish.

Sithspawn
21 August 2012, 10:15 AM
I'm really looking forward to seeing what FFG do with the game. But I'm not going to pay for the Beta version, I'll wait for the full release.

Only thing I'm a bit hesitant about are the custom dice. We're old school RPGers who all want our own dice, so that will be extra spending. That said, I was against WFRP 3rd. ed. having custom dice and it turned out that was the bit of the system that I liked.

Seghast
21 August 2012, 10:53 AM
There's actually been a discussion about this on the SWAG boards as well, so I thought I'd share a couple of links that popped up over there.

First (http://dicemonkey.net/2012/08/17/star-wars-edge-of-the-empire/) we have an article with some scans of the book/pages from GenCon. Personally, I didn't like what I saw here but I may just be pessimistic since I haven't been able to enjoy any system other than the old WEG D6 stuff.

This thread (http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_foros_discusion.asp?efid=319&efcid=3&efidt=700880) on the FFG forums is a review from someone who has beta-tested the game with a group. Again, I'm not really impressed with what I'm hearing. I have little doubt that my group will want to pick it up and try it once it's officially out in stores, but I'm not looking forward to it.

Grimace
21 August 2012, 02:07 PM
I was reading the second link and I see that this new version of rules goes even further towards the idea that ALL Force Sensitive are Force Users. I hate that aspect, and started seeing it take hold in the WOTC versions and translate to people playing the D6 versions. Just because a character is Force Sensitive doesn't mean they're a Force User. *shakes head*

I'll probably look at this new version of Star Wars when it comes out, but I doubt I'll buy it. If I play any Star Wars, it'll be with D6.

I'm curious for those that have this beta version...what's with the dice? How do they work?

stoic_75
21 August 2012, 07:30 PM
WOTC has the right idea when it comes to play tests. I am part of their 5th Edition D&D play test. All I had to do was sign up on their website and download the pdfs whenever they are released. After playing through each phase with my group, we fill out a survey and send it back to WOTC. It is all free for both parties. I don't get paid by WOTC for soliciting my opinions and I certainly don't pay them. The way I see it, it is a win for all involved.

I am not sure why FF would pay to have a book published, charge people to review it, then put out another book with revisions at a later date. The cynic in me thinks they are hoping people will pony up and buy two books. I hope it is because of something else.

Ardent
22 August 2012, 05:40 PM
Yeah, the pay-to-playtest seems a little odd to me. At one time I think they do a disservice to the gaming community by not putting the playtest out there for everyone to run through the wringer. While at the same time I guess I can understand that if you spend 30 bucks you might actually feel invested to give it a playtest and turn in a playtest report rather than just picking it up and letting it languish.

It is the new model.

Incidentally, you get the "print" book at a discounted rate (or free) with most companies; I haven't actually read FFG's offer but I would hope they intend to duplicate the model fully.

JegerGryte
26 August 2012, 03:47 AM
The main reason one has to pay for the beta is that it's a dead tree version and that the license from Lucas doesn't cover PDFs (some archaic notion of electronic stuff being different from printed stuff or something) and they don't like freebies as far as I have come to understand. I for one have no problem with this, but I understand that some feel its "greedy" to demand payment to participate in the beta, but then again no one have to participate and I for one think its nice they actually have a beta test phase. Instead of waiting to sometime next year, I have a more or less finished product earlier. For me that's worth the 30 bucks plus shipping (almost the same amount since I live in Norway and they have odd shipping options).

As I'm still waiting for my book I can't really comment on anything directly game-related. For concerns on the force sensitivity concerns, I share those, but there's always a way to tweak that. I have yet to meet a game that survives actual play.

My question for Moridin and/or the moderators/admins of this site is if there's going to be a dedicated sub-forum here for the FFG version, like that of D6 and D20? I would appreciate that as most official forums tend to focus more on naysaying and disagreeing than anything else. At least in my experience. Plus the swrpgnetwork forums have always been good to me, the people polite and interested, even if they don't particularly like a certain incarnation of the game or not.

Moridin
26 August 2012, 11:14 PM
I picked up the beta at GenCon, but I had to ship it back here to Seattle so I didn't get much of a chance to read it during my vacation. It looks like it is mechanically similar to WFRP3, with some MMO-style talent trees for character advancement.

My question for Moridin and/or the moderators/admins of this site is if there's going to be a dedicated sub-forum here for the FFG version, like that of D6 and D20? I would appreciate that as most official forums tend to focus more on naysaying and disagreeing than anything else. At least in my experience. Plus the swrpgnetwork forums have always been good to me, the people polite and interested, even if they don't particularly like a certain incarnation of the game or not.
My feeling is that the FFG version is sufficiently different from the D6 and d20 versions to warrant its own subforum, once traffic is high enough to warrant that.

JegerGryte
27 August 2012, 02:22 AM
Well, I should get on the recruiting then ;) been a while since I was active myself, but I pop by every now and then. It's good to see the hard core still using the forums. My interest in swrpg has been somewhat reinvigorated by this new game, but we'll see if my thesis let's me dabble enough with rpgs again. :( I certainly hope so... been far too long since I ran and did some proper rpg stuff.

boccelounge
27 August 2012, 06:08 PM
Thanks for the insight, Jeger. I completely agree on the need for a distinct FFGSW forum.

JegerGryte
29 August 2012, 02:15 PM
My copy of the book is now en route. Exciting days, got my new laptop today too. Just now re-installing everything on the nice ssd.

Once I have the book and have had a test run or two, I can post some comments on the shebang. The FFG forums are already "thriving", but a smaller another corner to post notes, compare notes (if anyone on these boards' got the book) and answer questions is also nice I think.

Donovan Morningfire
1 September 2012, 08:14 AM
I got my copy about a week ago (ordered it the Friday that FFG put it up for sale on their website). Given the hassles with LucasArts and PDFs, I'm not surprised at FFG being forced into the dead-tree version.

Haven't gotten a chance to actually play this yet, but it does seem interesting, mainly as the book's primary focus is Firefly-style groups of "independent operators" during the Rebellion Era (no prequels, NJO, or KOTOR material), and the starting "classes" (for lack of a better term) really reflect that. Character building isn't quite as free-form as WEG, but it's not quite as rigid as d20 was; you can go in most any direction in terms of character type, the only trade-off is that it's going to be very costly to raise "non-class" skills, although the specialization system can allow a player to expand or alter several of their class skills.

As for Force-sensitives, you can have someone that's "Force-sensitive" without a single Force "power" to their name. Yeah, you'd be paying valuable XP for something that would only have a minor benefit unless you delved into the Force Exile talent tree, which has some pretty nifty first-tier talents that boost your perceptiveness and initiative; i.e. see things before they happen ;) Just don't get your hopes for any Jedi, as not even Luke circa ESB would really be possible with the given rules. Although the lightsaber in this version is probably one of the deadliest versions I've seen to date. Damage equal to a blaster rifle, pretty much ignores armor, grants some nice defensive perks, and can easily score critical hits that are going to hurt. It's also well out of the hands of a starting player character, which is just as well.

I do have some qualms with a couple of the design decisions, namely the uber-effectiveness of Force Powers and the pricing of some aspects of them, and I'm still not 100% sold on the "custom dice" thing, but at least it doesn't have the excessive cards and tokens that really soured me on WFRP 3rd edition. Combat is pretty abstract, much like D6 in a lot of respects, and the species presented so far are fairly simple in comparison to the d20 versions.

So overall, it's interesting, and I probably will pick up the "finished" version when it comes out (thinking next year, maybe GC '13?). While a free playtest like what Paizo and WotC did would be fantastic, at least FFG is giving us the chance offer feedback on where the game works and where it still needs work. And if worse comes to worse, Edge of the Empire is still a complete and fully playable game.

Treefrog
4 September 2012, 07:12 PM
For me, SW is all about Force Users. Since this first incarnation doesn't include them, I think I'll wait to get the second one.

coldskier0320
4 September 2012, 07:22 PM
Haven't gotten a chance to actually play this yet, but it does seem interesting, mainly as the book's primary focus is Firefly-style groups of "independent operators" during the Rebellion Era (no prequels, NJO, or KOTOR material), and the starting "classes" (for lack of a better term) really reflect that. Character building isn't quite as free-form as WEG, but it's not quite as rigid as d20 was;

Although Dono and I tend to look for very different things in our SWRPG, this is probably the most encouraging thing I've heard since the confirmation that somebody had picked up the ball and ran with it.

Lucas Carr
5 September 2012, 01:11 PM
For me, SW is all about Force Users. Since this first incarnation doesn't include them, I think I'll wait to get the second one.

The second won't have them either. They are the focus of the third installment.

Treefrog
5 September 2012, 05:57 PM
The second won't have them either. They are the focus of the third installment.

I guess I'll be waiting till 2014 then... (Just a guess).

JegerGryte
5 September 2012, 11:23 PM
There are still rules for force users and the like in EotE. Although you cannot play big badass Jedi type Kotor or Swtor or prequel era in it... There are talents and powers, and its pretty beardy from what I have come to understand, but there are no Jedi "classes" as such.

Uron Teff
6 September 2012, 07:56 AM
Very interesting. I didn't even notice that the license was sold again, though I was wondering for quite some time what had happened with it. I'll probably end up buying at least the first book to check it out (and continue my collection of "core rule books").

Treefrog
9 September 2012, 07:55 AM
I don't know if it still will be worth getting if you can't start off playing one of the most recognizable facets of SW.

Ardent
9 September 2012, 08:21 AM
Personal preference, I suppose.

Past experience with FFG leads me to believe that they'll get the relative power levels close enough to satisfy some people, but too close to satisfy others, and basically everyone will wonder what the point of playing anything but a Jedi is.

I'd prefer they flat out don't make (separate) rules for Jedi and just leave it as a Force-user progression path, but there's always a demand for ridiculously broken Jedi-related mechanics.

Uron Teff
10 September 2012, 09:09 AM
I'd prefer they flat out don't make (separate) rules for Jedi and just leave it as a Force-user progression path, but there's always a demand for ridiculously broken Jedi-related mechanics.
Yeah, but let's face it, Jedi are ridiculously broken in terms of what they can do, apart of being fugitives (in the Empire era) or awkwardly social inept (in all other eras).

Fingon
11 September 2012, 08:06 PM
Yeah, but let's face it, Jedi are ridiculously broken in terms of what they can do

Amen. Even if you take away all of their powers besides levitation, a creative player can still be far more powerful than a non-force user of the same level. IMO, there has to be something (the fugitive element, for example) to balance out game play. Often, I'd just have jedi a level or two lower than the other players, and they usually held up fine.

JegerGryte
15 September 2012, 02:24 AM
First off, from my reading, playing a Jedi in EotE or a force user at least, involve using a lot more xp on the force stuff. If you in addition want to be able to do other stuff - I mean one talent tree doesn't give you all the beard you want now does it? - and use force powers, you have a lot of xp to spend, whereas non-force users have "less" to spend xp on. This might at least even the odds on low-powered play, I have no idea how it plays once you cross the 300 or 400xp mark, at which point most will have at least one talent tree maxed out and a few skills really high.

The force die also evens the odds slightly, since you have to roll for force points to spend on force powers, in EotE the max number of force dice a character can roll is two, which means at best you can generate 4 light side force points, dark side force points can't be used unless taking strain damage, or if the GM agrees and there is destiny points in the pool, he can use one of them.

There are lots of discussions over on the FFG boards, some quite good and productive. The only issue is that the devs are shining in the absence, and if they pop by the usually only answer one question in a thread, usually not related to the discussion as a whole. Other than that its good.

Derrynger
22 September 2012, 08:24 PM
I think overall it should play out pretty nice. I am a little upset at having to get new dice but i think that with the very simple match the pictured idea behind it it will speed up and simplify a lot of tasks. I think that the force point system and added expense of skill points does a fairly decent job of keeping your force users inline. If there is one thing I am really worried about it is game longevity as Jeger mentioned what happens when you hit that skill point wall. I understand that the reward base in this game is smaller than in other incarnations but it could still occur quickly especially in a very militaristic game where you go from major battle to major battle in a couple of weeks like in Lucas's version of the Clone Wars. within a few years major battles occur over and over enough to make a cartoon series about it.

JegerGryte
8 November 2012, 04:15 AM
Right, its less than a month till the public beta-test is over, and I got the impression that they will shut down the beta-forums some time after that. I'm sure they have their reasons, but it annoys me.

Anyways, after 9 updates over the ten last weeks I think they've been doing a good job - although there are still things to be done. Hopefully some people will migrate over here as a forum is def needed for continued discussion and improvement until the finished game comes some times next year GenCon or SW Celebration Europe II time. Who knows. Hopefully before.

Anyone else than DM and me that have the beta here?