PDA

View Full Version : What speed was luke going at in the trench run?

wolverine
14 May 2013, 11:05 AM
I ask, cause over on Rancor's pit we are discussing force points, and whether the example given in concentration where luke uses it on his to hit shot for that proton torp was correct or incorrect.

Vanger Chevane
15 May 2013, 07:28 AM
Just prior to the run, Luke tells Biggs & Wedge "go in full throttle". Presumably he'd have the X-Wing's throttle firewalled - somewhere around the max speed for the model & level of maintenance at the time, say 80-95% of the statted max speed.

I wouldn't put the FP into Concentration, what we see in the Movie is more akin to Force Pilot or Force Aim IMHO. Red Leader was concentrating with a lot more skill & experience, missing just before Vader took off to upper Starboard S-foil.

Grimace
15 May 2013, 08:54 AM
I'd say he's going fast, but not full speed.

Grimace
15 May 2013, 08:54 AM
I'd say he's going fast, but not full speed.

Sarge
15 May 2013, 10:44 AM
I imagine he was going full out while Vader was on his tail, but after the Millenium Falcon blew the TIEs away, he probably throttled back to give himself an extra moment or two to line up his shot.

Evil Steve
21 May 2013, 08:05 AM
I did some math a long time ago, worked out to about mach 2 (if I remember correctly, which is questionable), based on several large assumptions.

First, the exhaust port is "...2 metres across...", so we know meters are used as a system of measurement.

The targeters on the X & Y wings have a range counter at the bottom. It doesn't seem to have a decimal, so (I'm assuming here) the units would be in meters (anything larger or smaller would be awkward). The range it ticking down two fast for the smallest placeholders, but the middle ticks at a workable pace, and would represent hundreds of meters.

Youtube clip shows what I'm talking about. I've linked it a few seconds before the shot I'm talking about so you won't miss it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=6v5VahaEL7s#t=462s

When I did this originally, my time measurements were very rough, and the linked shot is not from Luke's cockpit. The 100s of meters per second (approx.) worked out to about mach 2.

If any one has a more precise way of measuring (via video editing software, which I lack), they could get a better estimate.

Evil Steve
21 May 2013, 08:06 AM
I did some math a long time ago, worked out to about mach 2 (if I remember correctly, which is questionable), based on several large assumptions.

First, the exhaust port is "...2 metres across...", so we know meters are used as a system of measurement.

The targeters on the X & Y wings have a range counter at the bottom. It doesn't seem to have a decimal, so (I'm assuming here) the units would be in meters (anything larger or smaller would be awkward). The range it ticking down two fast for the smallest placeholders, but the middle ticks at a workable pace, and would represent hundreds of meters.

Youtube clip shows what I'm talking about. I've linked it a few seconds before the shot I'm talking about so you won't miss it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=6v5VahaEL7s#t=462s

When I did this originally, my time measurements were very rough, and the linked shot is not from Luke's cockpit. The 100s of meters per second (approx.) worked out to about mach 2.

If any one has a more precise way of measuring (via video editing software, which I lack), they could get a better estimate.

wolverine
21 May 2013, 10:31 AM
I was thinking more of what speed in game terms was he going at.. Cruise, cautious, full or all out.. Cause that should have changed whether he could have concentrated on firing his torp, or not.