PDA

View Full Version : How'd he blow all that money?

stoic_75
6 January 2014, 09:59 AM
Han is clearly shown loading up his reward for rescuing the Princess near the end of ANH. Yet, he is still wanted by Jabba the Hutt? Why didn't he pay his debt?

coldskier0320
6 January 2014, 10:40 AM
You know, I seem to recall hearing a few theories on this, but I can't for the life of me remember what they were.

Maybe they paid him in Trident Layers gum?

There's also the offhanded TESB line, "Yeah well the bounty hunter we ran into on Ord Mantell changed my mind."

Perhaps he foolishly decided to just lie low with the rebels, hoping Jabba would forget?

In the end though, it probably saved his life. When the Empire caught Solo at Bespin, Vader would have likely preferred to kill him (to create a greater disturbance in the force to bait Luke), but Jabba (and by extension, Boba Fett) required him alive for his bounty.

wolverine
6 January 2014, 12:57 PM
Perhaps he thought to pay off Jabba, but was rebuked, due to the incident with Greedo.

coldskier0320
6 January 2014, 01:45 PM
Perhaps he thought to pay off Jabba, but was rebuked, due to the incident with Greedo.

Jabba knew about Greedo before the Falcon left Mos Eisley. I'd think if he was that upset about the incident, their meeting in docking bay 94 would not have gone as it did.

darjr
6 January 2014, 07:08 PM
Jabba needed to make an example of Han.

Malkarris
13 January 2014, 04:56 AM
Well, after the Battle of Yavin the Rebels had lost something like 2 squadrons of fighters, that can't be cheap. Maybe they asked for the money back, and Han agreed, for whatever reason, and decided to stick around until they could pay him back. And he just kept sticking around until events kicked him back into survival mode.

darjr
14 January 2014, 07:31 AM
Oh, Looks like he lost it to Pirates, then recovered it, then gave it back to the Alliance anyway. Good ole' Han Solo!

boccelounge
17 January 2014, 08:01 PM
It was Crimson Jack!

I have no idea if this fits the "canon," but in the old Marvel Comics series, which immediately followed the events of EpIV, the Falcon was captured by Jack and his Space Pirates, and they took the reward money.

I still have the original issue, somewhere in storage... must have read it a hundred times as a kid. Thanks for bringing up some great old memories (and a good plot point question, of course).

Space Pirates!

Donovan Morningfire
30 January 2014, 04:24 PM
I think this got mentioned in the Scoundrels novel, but for the life of me can't remember if Tim Zahn went into any detail about it.

Tried skimming through the Wookieepedia article, and it mentions that at one point Han did manage to get the bounty removed, but events conspired that Jabba had it re-issued at a much higher value. So it's possible that Han did manage to use some of those parts to pay off some or maybe even all of his debt to Jabba, but the Hutt being who he was decided to place a new bounty on Solo's head, leading him to "lay low" with the Rebels until ESB.