PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars Rebels - Disney

darjr
21 February 2014, 07:47 AM
http://disneyxd.disney.com/star-wars-rebels

I'm interested and kinda worried. I hope they hit this one out of the park. Anybody see any sneak peaks they can talk about?

Lucas Carr
8 March 2014, 12:43 PM
I've seen some sneak peeks on youtube. Go there and search for "star wars rebels" and you should find some. It looks interesting to me.

Donovan Morningfire
9 March 2014, 08:44 AM
While I'm fairly apathetic where the Clone Wars was concerned, I'm actually interested in what this new series has to offers. Sterling Hershey has noted on his Star Wars Wednesdays that the core cast very much feel like an RPG group in how varied they are from one another. My personal faves of the lot (so far) are Sabine (artistic Mandalorian) and Ezra, who bears a lot of similarities to an EotE PC that I've been playing for some time. Some folks are less than thrilled with there being an Order 66 survivor amongst the cast, but seeing as how Greg Wiessman is on board and he's yet to disappoint in my eyes, I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. It's also nice that there's a female Twi'lek that's both in a position of authority (captain of the ship) and is sensibly dressed (running joke has been that Twi'lek females are required to dress like strippers) on top of being something of "team mom" for the group.

stoic_75
5 November 2014, 04:46 PM
I've watched the first three episodes and I like it. Now we'll need someone to stat out the main characters. I wonder who we can find to pull that off...

Vanger Chevane
9 November 2014, 12:31 AM
I've been able to catch a few episodes here & there. I doubt Lesat are in the UAA, but one or two of Zeb's lines imply it's a high-grav planet.

Is it just me, or did Ditzknee make Ezra look a lot like Aladdin with a new hairdo & color contacts? :raised:

Darth Fierce
12 December 2014, 03:28 PM
Personally I don't really care for Rebels. None of the characters seem particularly likeable with the exception of the Twi'lek captain in my opinion. I was tired of Zeb within a few minutes of the first episode.

Vanger Chevane
13 December 2014, 09:07 PM
Personally I don't really care for Rebels. None of the characters seem particularly likeable with the exception of the Twi'lek captain in my opinion. I was tired of Zeb within a few minutes of the first episode.
As far as the high-end Fiction, like the pre-NJO & Clone Commando novels, goes I agree.

You have to take the big ol' salt pill that it's built for Tweens, probly more so than Clone Wars was as the 7-15 market is The Big D's goldilocks zone. ;)

Would be nice to see something similar built for an adult (25-65ish) audience. Troops than can actually hit & be a serious threat, Stormies would be Elite Threats like Rangers, SEALS, or other SFCOM units.

A half-dozen starfighters should be a major "run away" threat for most freighters. Those that it isn't would be threat-tagged & the crew arrested as far away from the (impounded) ship as reasonable, or kept "pacified" by well-aimed turbolaser batteries & possibly an Interdictor.

More intelligent situations & character development, and a more believable 'verse in general.

But ya just can't expect that from one of the planet's largest Toy Merchandisers.

Darth Fierce
15 December 2014, 12:23 PM
As far as the high-end Fiction, like the pre-NJO & Clone Commando novels, goes I agree.

You have to take the big ol' salt pill that it's built for Tweens, probly more so than Clone Wars was as the 7-15 market is The Big D's goldilocks zone. ;)

Would be nice to see something similar built for an adult (25-65ish) audience. Troops than can actually hit & be a serious threat, Stormies would be Elite Threats like Rangers, SEALS, or other SFCOM units.

A half-dozen starfighters should be a major "run away" threat for most freighters. Those that it isn't would be threat-tagged & the crew arrested as far away from the (impounded) ship as reasonable, or kept "pacified" by well-aimed turbolaser batteries & possibly an Interdictor.

More intelligent situations & character development, and a more believable 'verse in general.

But ya just can't expect that from one of the planet's largest Toy Merchandisers.

Yeah...I had high hopes that Rebels could compete with what Clone Wars gave us. Even though it was generally kid-fare, I enjoyed Clone Wars, especially the later episodes. Rebels, on the other hand, I can't get behind. The one thing that surprises me about Rebels though (since it's under Disney's control) is the amount of gratuitous death shown. I mean, from what I've seen in most cases it's pretty clear that stormies are unambiguously getting killed left and right.

If the live action Star Wars series had seen the light of day I have a feeling that it would have been adult fare. That's why I have a feeling there might be a stand-alone Boba Fett film sometime in the future that fills what was lost when the live action series was axed.

Vanger Chevane
15 December 2014, 04:14 PM
Yeah...I had high hopes that Rebels could compete with what Clone Wars gave us. Even though it was generally kid-fare, I enjoyed Clone Wars, especially the later episodes. Rebels, on the other hand, I can't get behind. The one thing that surprises me about Rebels though (since it's under Disney's control) is the amount of gratuitous death shown. I mean, from what I've seen in most cases it's pretty clear that stormies are unambiguously getting killed left and right.

If the live action Star Wars series had seen the light of day I have a feeling that it would have been adult fare. That's why I have a feeling there might be a stand-alone Boba Fett film sometime in the future that fills what was lost when the live action series was axed.
Not really, they're following the old GI Joe method of just knocking ppl down, presumed-to-be-unconscious. The only "Joe-isms" I haven't seen is ppl running blithely through explosions, or being rocketed untouched through high-speed fan blades. ;)

It it were to really portray the death they deal, there'd be Stormies with bleeding burn marks, missing limbs, armor smashed in an obviously unsurvivable manner, lots of Collateral Damage... Stuff for a Big D Halloween episode. :P