PDA

View Full Version : SW Galactic Battlegrounds worth buying?

Corr Terek
25 December 2001, 10:13 AM
Um...not sure what forum this actually belongs in, so if it's in the wrong one please move it.

But, I wanted to know if y'all out there consider Galactic Battlegrounds a good buy?

crazyguy7007
26 December 2001, 05:41 PM
Haven't played it, but it looks to me like a big time star craft rip off, (from what I heard too) look online for reviews and see what the proffesionals think about it, but for me, I don't plan to buy it, I will just play starcraft.

Talon Blackfrost
26 December 2001, 06:30 PM
It is age of empires set in the Star Wars universe. If you like aoe ( or games like that) then you will like GB. Tow guys in my gaming group and I have it and really like it. We look forward to when we can network a large group and play teams head to head. Anyway, hope that helps.

Talon

Lokar
29 December 2001, 05:42 PM
I got it for Chirstmas, plays like AoE and Starcraft. I like it. Its a fun game and if you like tatical/low level straegtic games then you'll like Galatic Battlegrounds.

Nazgul
9 April 2002, 11:39 AM
I've been playing it lately and I like it, :) Good game, but then again I liked Force Commander and Harpoon...

dgswensen
9 April 2002, 11:55 AM
GB is not really at all like Starcraft -- it's based on the Age of Empires 2 engine. Starcraft has three very different races that are dissimilar but balanced; GB has several different races (Rebellion, Empire, Naboo, Wookies, Gungans, Trade Federation, etc.) that are pretty much the same except for a few unique units.

As the previous poster said, if you liked AOE2, you will definitely like GB.

I have been playing this game a lot -- it was only recently ousted by Jedi Outcast as my number one game. I like it a great deal.

I wrote an in-depth review of the game on another web site, if you want to check it out:

http://www.boufdot.org/article.php?story=20020120205729191

I definitely think it's worth the money. Plus, a Clone Campaigns expansion is coming out soon. I want me an army of Clonetroopers!

Nazgul
9 April 2002, 02:01 PM
They are coming out with an expansion which has the Confederacy and the Republic (Includes Clone Troopers, :))

dgswensen
9 April 2002, 03:28 PM
Didn't I just say that? :) Seriously, though, I'm glad someone besides me is excited about that. Maybe they will follow in the footsteps of the original, and you'll get to play older Obi-Wan / Anakin / maybe even Senator Palpatine? Mace Windu? The possibilities are endless...

You get to play all sorts of Episode I and classic trilogy characters in the original, so why not...?

Rouge8
9 April 2002, 04:04 PM
THis is an excellent game tat is worth every penny.

madpoet
9 April 2002, 08:17 PM
I REALLY dig Galactic Battlegrounds, but, I admit that I was (and still am) an avid player of AoE 2. This game was a wish come true for me. Also, as someone else pointed out, it is NOTHING like StarCraft. Not even a little bit.

A great game overall. Good for both AoE fans and beginners alike. Easy to learn, good details, and a great engine. Pick it up and enjoy!

Sogoth
10 April 2002, 04:31 AM
I've been playing it since it's initial release and still love it to bits. The add on pack should be great fun. One of the screen shots I've seen had a little yoda wandering about in the middle of a big batte :D

can't wait!

Bombaatu
10 April 2002, 05:09 AM
I loved AoE and AoK. However, I played the demo for SWGB and was left with an overwhelming sense of "eh... been there, done that". There didn't seem to be anything added to AoE/AoK, just a change in graphics (which now look horribly dated). Overall, it wasn't worth my paying for the full game to find out if I was wrong. YMMV

darth maim
10 April 2002, 09:40 AM
I think it's definately worth it... so it's based on AOE etc... it's still a frickin starwars version of them. Myself I'd rather play as vader than some crappy aztec warrior.

reliant
10 April 2002, 10:15 AM
Galactic Battlegrounds is EXACTLY like Age of Empires. Not that this takes away from the game at all, because it's fun to play. I'd say it's worth the money, but not if you already own Age of Empires II. I didn't know they were putting out an expansion though, that could change things considerably...

On a personal note, it's really fun to smash the gungans with the might of the imperial army!!! :D

dgswensen
10 April 2002, 12:34 PM
I have to respectfully disagree with Bombaatu about the GB graphics. They're not state of the art (it's a 2d isometric RTS, for crying out loud), but I still find them quite attractive.

Granted, they are grainy on the default 640 x 480, but what game isn't? Crank up the resolution a bit and they look fine.

Besides, I think graphics are overrated as the be-all end-all. Starcraft's graphics are several years old, extremely dated by any standard, and that game's still a blast to play :)

ALFRED_THE_EWOK
24 April 2002, 06:02 PM
I played a demo of SW Galactic Battlegrounds, and i'ts basically a mod for Age of Empires 2. I wouldn't pick it up unless you saw it lying in the bargain bin, it looks like they didn't try too hard on it.

Superdog
25 April 2002, 02:59 PM
My advice: Don't buy it. If you're looking for a strategty game, buy Empire Earth. Battlegrounds is quite literally SW pasted over top of Age of Kings. I think it should come boxed with the Age of Kings, because it is esentially a SW mod. If you've got video game money to spend and are looking for stragety game, trust me, buy Empire Earth.

Nerpine the Verpine
26 April 2002, 04:45 AM
For the record, GB is NOT simply AoE and AoK pasted over. Having played all 3 extensively, I can say they have many similarities. The game concept of GB is based on AoK, but there are certain new additions that make it worthwhile, at least to those who like these types of games.
1. Air units: There are none in AoK that I recall. This new dimension changes the way I play. Used to be I could quietly sit behind my defences in AoK and build a Wonder. This was a very easy way for me to win, especially on lower difficulty levels. Now I have to split up my resources to build air defences as well as land/water defences. This makes the Wonder/Monument victory much more difficult. Nazgul and I have played GB separately and together, and we've found it's very effective to surprise an enemy with an air strike from an unexpected direction. This is something I could never hope to do in AoK.
2. Shields: The only unit that regenerated in AoK was the Viking Beserk. And those guys didn't have shields (rats!). So imagine having a Castle in AoK with effectively doubled HP and half of those regenerate over time. Well that's what a Fortress in GB can be like if you design your defences right. I've NEVER lost a Fortress, but I have lost castles in AoK. Big difference in strategy here. And then there's Shield walls B) Also there's the Fumbaa mobile shield generators for the Gungans. Speaking as someone who plays against the Gungans, I can tell you they definitely present a new challenge to an attacker.
3. Jedi/Sith attack: Let's just say that in AoK, I never had to worry about a Monk attacking my units back. Having your units converted can really bite, but worrying about Jedi/Sith attacking just makes the game that much more difficult:D

One gripe though, and I know Naz will second me on this... The AT-AT is not powerful enough. I guess I'm spoiled by the 'chin-gun' option from Force Commander ;)

Nazgul
26 April 2002, 04:50 AM
Originally posted by Nerpine the Verpine
One gripe though, and I know Naz will second me on this... The AT-AT is not powerful enough. I guess I'm spoiled by the 'chin-gun' option from Force Commander ;)

Ummmmmm. Oh Sweet Chin-gun. ::Insert Sounds of Homer Drooling::

Force Commander Note: As a really sweet feature with the chin gun. Did you know that when your opponents lands shuttles and barges they count as ground targets, and as such become viable Chin-gun targets. Hehehehe. No need for AT-AAs, one chin-gun.

Nerpine the Verpine
26 April 2002, 04:57 AM
As a really sweet feature with the chin gun. Did you know that when your opponents landing shuttles and barges they count as ground targets. Hehehehe. No need for AT-AAs, one chin-gun.

That's just rude, Naz! :) Thank God you're on my side, most of the time:D

BTW, when I'm in one of my darker moods, I like to use the cheat code in GB to create Simon the Killer Ewok. Just one of these little guys can devastate an enemy (but that's why it's a cheat). They're mean little furballs:D