PDA

View Full Version : Vergere (NJO SPOILERS, and references to ROGUE PLANET)

Ronin
3 January 2002, 01:03 AM
I thought I`d start up a thread to discuss that weird little birdy: Vergere.
She first appeared in the (IMO bad, but this ain`t the place to discuss that..) novel Rogue Planet, set a bit after Ep1...in it we learned that she had left the galaxy (willingly?) with the Yuuzhan Vong (though they weren`t specifically mentioned as such)....

...and now she`s turned up in the NJO!
I`ve now read all the NJO up to and including Star-by-Star, in which her motives seem even more weird and twisted!
Anyone care to comment or guess as to exactly what the hell she is up to?!

I have my ideas, but I`ll keep `em for the moment....

Iris
8 January 2002, 09:56 PM
Hmm, I read Rogue Planet and don't recall Vergere in it. Can you reference where she shows up? I just want to scan it again so I can hypothosize a little better about her motives.

I must admit, she's an interesting character becuase you aren't quite sure what she's doing. I enjoy characters like that because they keep you guessing.

Wade Trenor
10 January 2002, 06:19 AM
She's the Jedi Obi-Wan and Anakin go to the planet looking for. Finding her was the whole point of their mission. However, they found out that the planet had been attack by some alien race, but had been fended off. They were going to attack again, but Vergere offered herself to the invaders so they would spare the planet. The invaders (who have now been revealed as the Vong), accepted, and she left the known galaxy with them.
I've only read small snippets of the NJO books (as I own them, but am some time before I'll get round to reading them, and Corsair keeps telling me the plots), so I'm not entirely sure of Vergere's intentions.

MadMysticMoose
12 January 2002, 11:25 PM
In my mind she is not working with the intent to help the Vong nor is there anything that strongly suggests she has abandoned the Jedi Code. Any Vong that know her true nature might think this, although I think the shaper she hung out with understood her better than we think. I think she is where she believes she can do the most good... right next to influential Vong like the warmaster. If she can find an opening to convince them to stop the invasion, great, but it seems more to me like she kind of sabotages some of the Vong's plans and gives them advice that in the long run will blow up in their faces.

She can't give blatantly false or bad advice. She can't seem useless to the Vong. She can't get caught helping out Jedi. This will either get her killed or almost get her killed and she'll have to escape. Her position in the Vong, in her mind, is probably where she can do the most good, especially if a crucial turning point comes up. She might also have grown used to the Vong and hope that she can change them or soften their hostilities somehow.

That's how it seems to me. I'm kind of hoping she will be the new 'Yoda'... someone wise in the ways of the Force that can teach the 'new Jedi order' a thing or two about what the Jedi were really about and pass on the knowledge of the old order. When the dust settles on the war, I'd like to see her at the head of a new Jedi Council.

Frobi-Wan Kenobi
22 January 2002, 12:36 AM
I agree with most of M.M.M.'s points; however, I wouldn't be to hopeful of a Jedi Master Vergere sitting on the Jedi Council.

I think that she went with the YV orginally to learn about them so that she could stop them from the inside. A long time has passed since she left with them.

I believe that if Vergere can still use the Force (I can't recall her using any abilities off hand) than she has fallen to the dark side. Trying to bring her back to the Light would probably destroy her.

Kupferdachl
22 January 2002, 04:46 AM
Vergere used the force quite often, she scaned both Jana and Jacen and let the forget about it after. I don't remember exactly but I think she used the probes the lead the Vong to them. She is quite powerfull as a jedi.

the most curious thing about her is that she can hide herself from the force in a way that not even a Voxyn feels her even when she is using the force.

but what I think is in the end that she will die rescueing the jedi no matter if she is a good or a bad guy. we will see or better read.

Corsair
22 January 2002, 04:02 PM
Having not read Star by Star yet, but everything else up to it, the situation with Vegere is not really explored as much as I hoped it would be. Maybe I am just being impatient. Patience was never my best virtue. Follower of the Dark Side I am. Hehehe.

From what I have read, all I know about Vegere is that she, of course, is (or was) a Jedi who disappeared around the time of Rogue Planet. The description of the effects of the battle on the planet Obi-wan and Anakin go to are very, very similar to the effects of YV weaponary.

Vegere has been with the YV a long time, and it is quite possible she has probably spent too long with them that she feels somewhat attached to them and believes she can change them. OR maybe she has gone completely to the Dark Side and is actually being manipulative, and has worked out a way (or is working on a way) in which she can sense the YV using force without the aid of anything such as a Lambent (which resides in Anakin's lightsaber).

Lord Kjeran
26 January 2002, 04:15 PM
Vergere is also in "Cloak of Decption" as a Jedi master....

Aaron B'Aviv
26 January 2002, 04:41 PM
Vergere was a Vong pet. I don't think they biomodified her, but it's possible, and after seeing what they did to Tahiri... well, anything's possible.

That's one possibility, that her brain functions have been tinkered with to the point that she can't recall being anything but a Vong.

But if that were so, her special abilities- Force abilities, Fosh tears, etc...- wouldn't be secrets to the Vong, and I feel certain that they are.

Vergere works for nobody but herself, and I think she's made a fool of all the main characters on both sides- Nom Anor, Shimrra, Han, Luke, Jacen, Jaina, Anakin, etc...

But she's cool anyway.

phoenixbrose
22 February 2002, 12:37 PM
I am so glad to see other people caught the NJO tie-in with Rogue Planet! I thought I was imagining things.

As for Vergere - just speculation or wishful thinking, but I think she will reveal her true intentions in the next few books. She did help Mara fight her disease, and is now in the best position to be able to help Jacen (if he's still alive).

If this is the case, then we have the link from the Prequel Era to the "modern" era of the NJO.

Dark Knight
16 March 2002, 01:50 AM
Wow, i didn't realize that rogue planet had anything to do with the vong. That's pretty cool. Cool enough to convince me to go and get it that is. i have everything NJO up to dark journey and i can't wait to see exactly what Vergere is up to.

darth maim
16 March 2002, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by Dark Knight
Wow, i didn't realize that rogue planet had anything to do with the vong. That's pretty cool. Cool enough to convince me to go and get it that is. i have everything NJO up to dark journey and i can't wait to see exactly what Vergere is up to.

So are you also going to get cloak of deception?

Dark Knight
16 March 2002, 11:14 PM
ick.....great there's another book too......that Lucas..... always going for the wallet isn't he? If not in ads, and whoring out the Star Wars name then by having so many books spawned out of his baby.....but alas like many of you im addicted.

Ronin
17 March 2002, 03:02 AM
Dark Knight: I`d recommend Cloak of Deception, which does feature Vergere, but NOT Rogue Planet...
I know some ppl disagree w/ me, but IMO Rogue Planet stunk, badly. And Vergere is only mentioned in it IIRC, she doesn`t actually `feature`.

madpoet
23 March 2002, 09:30 AM
I've gotta agree with Ronin, Rouge Planet wasn't the best book.

As far as Vergere is concerned, she's obviously a very powerful Jedi, but her motives are somewhat unclear to me right now. She may be playing both sides just to see who winds up on top. Her surviving among the YV for so long indicates the she as allied herself with the strongest beings she can find. When Han Solo managed to beat Elan, she allied herself (however briefly) with the Jedi by providing a cure for Mara. Now she's back among the YV at the side of Tsavong Lah. If the New Republic manages to get the upper hand over the YV, she'll find herself in the position to aid the NR by turning on Tsavong Lah at a critical moment.

She's a survivor, and she'll do whatever is necessary to stay alive.

MFalls
30 March 2002, 11:27 PM
I read a synopsis on the book I believe it was Traitor and Vergere teaches Jacen new ways of the force. And he's suppose to come back to help out with the battle against the Vong. So it sounds like she's a good guy.

silverknight
31 March 2002, 05:37 PM
I am new here and i have not read all of the post on there tread but i think Vergere may be the reason why everyone but Leia thinks Jacen is dead. If she/he is a Jedi Knight/Master from that era then s/he has to be very powerful and could have put Jacen in a hipernation (i know i can't spell). Like in I, Jedi Coran not Luke could find Coran's wife. That and they are somewhere where alot of Vong 'tech' is may be messing the Force up. That is just my opion.

Mathis Kharr
31 March 2002, 09:44 PM
This has intrigued me as bad as rogue planet sounds i may have to read it to find out more about Vegere so i can make my own guesses

silverknight
31 March 2002, 09:53 PM
I just saw on some other site (can't remmeber right now) that Vergere trains him on some new and different powers in Traitor and he is back with the 'gang' in the next Hardback book

Sogoth
10 May 2002, 08:28 AM
I've just finished reading Rogue Planet and I got thinking.

Vergere is still out there with the Vong and the New Republilc are still looking for some real way to fight back against them. What's the likelihood of Zonama Sekot being the reason Vergere is still acting behind the scenes? Maybe she's using the Vong's reports to track down Sekot so that they can be reunited and help defend the galaxy from the invasion?

With Vergere's knowledge of the Vong combined with Sekot's powers they would be a force to be reckoned with in the defence of the galaxy she used to call home.

Discuss ;)

JediStarWind
10 May 2002, 09:06 AM
I tend to agree with Madpoet... i believe she is playing her cards right till the outcome is "clear" in her mind... as in if she will be able to tell who will come out on top... as far as some of it goes... has anyone seen the ads for traitor? if you havent go to starwars.com and look for it (big spoiler) but still well worth it to keep the bloodflow going on this topic.. haven't red rogue planet or cloak of deception yet... wasnt really planning to but might just to see the connection... think its a good idea for kicks... especially if your planning on GMing a campeign in NJO... tigh in's are your friend :)