PDA

View Full Version : What novels should lucas use for episodes 7 to 9

wolverine
5 January 2002, 04:27 AM
The poll says it all....

Paul Klein
5 January 2002, 06:11 AM
NJO, considering Lucas could just get the old gang back together and they would look the right age.

Not that Harrison Ford would ever agree.

Not that Lucas will ever make 7, 8 and 9.

=)

Deck
5 January 2002, 09:50 AM
<p align=justify>Well, there are various rumors about that topic. ANd really many of them, too. ;) Some say that Lucas - if he ever decided to do episodes 7-9 (but what he doesn't want currently) - wanted only have a very old Luke Skywalker left, the other characters already being dead.
But that's only one of many rumors, and I must admit that I'm not quite sure where I read this one.

However, I would not really like this idea. I would prefer a novel trilogy, such as the <i>Thrawn Trilogy</i>, <i>Black Fleet Trilogy</i> or <i>Corellia Trilogy</i>, while I like Zahn's books best of those. :)</p>

sebulba524
5 January 2002, 10:15 AM
You need to add another option, None. I want a whole new story. Lucas should have an old Luke training one Padawan, and several of his old Padawans training more. Lucas isn't one to use someone else's work about his story in his version. I mean, his would be the definitive one. The other stuff would be just an afterthought.

Andrw
5 January 2002, 10:46 AM
I would love to see the first three books in the NJO for episode 7,8,9. Those books in my opinion set us up with killing machines with no mercy who ruthlessly took control of whole worlds populace but then the NJO books after that in my opinion weakened the Vong up. Making them weaker, friendlier, and ect. In the first three books none of the Vong would think of dealing to the New Republic like they did in Stars End. Some people may say well the Jedi where kickin their butt, but now lets look at the first three books... in them it was nearly impossible to kill a hardened Vong soldier and nearly impossible also to kill two regular Vongs. Once again people may say well they know more about the Vong now and know how to counter them. Well i can agree on that a little but what happened in Stars End when that group of Jedi padawans came was rediculos. The Vong are much stronger than that. They where acting like the stupidist Stormtrooper on a bad day. Come on cant they dodge a few lousy grenades and when did the Vong become so bad of swordsmen dying to Padawans that they outnumbered 100 to 1.

I beleive if he did make the first NJO he should make it like the books did but with a little Lucas Touch to it and make it in its full detail.

sebulba524
5 January 2002, 01:38 PM
You just want an Uber-race of Crazed killing machines. It's no good if everyone from a beloved series is dead. If he uses any EU in his movies(most likely not), it shouldn't be the Vong. He should have it set after they're defeated, if he uses it at all.

Nova Spice
5 January 2002, 10:09 PM
Here's a thought...how about just forgetting about Episodes 7-9...it will never happen and I hope it never happens.

READ MY POST......

EPISODE 7-9= a lost cause and a major afterthought by Lucas. Lets finish the prequels and then retire the story. If someone wants to do a solo STAR WARS movie on X-wing:Rogue Squadron or something like that when GL is long dead, then that's fine, but I believe everyone should be happy with 1-6 and forget about any "sequel" trilogy.

Iris
6 January 2002, 03:47 PM
I had to pick "other" because there was no option for "none".

If, and at this point it's a HUGE if, Lucas does deside to make Ep 7-9 I want to see an original story as Lucas views his world, not the way another author views his world.

FlipDog 2000
7 January 2002, 10:46 AM
It would never work (age wise), for the Zahn Trilogy. But it would make the most sense. And what hardcore SW fan wouldn't like to see Thrawn on the big screen?

MadMysticMoose
8 January 2002, 02:07 AM
None of them... let the man follow his own vision if he were so inclined. Why rehash something the fan base has already been exposed to? I want to see something new.

sebulba524
8 January 2002, 05:09 PM
I got two people on my side. Let's get a rally going. Make EU be seperate from VII, VIII, & IX!!!!!!

Corsair
8 January 2002, 05:30 PM
7,8,9 will never happen according to Lucas.

However, there is no reason why someone cant come out with animated series covering the EU from Truce at Bakura and on (although some books can be missed out totally).

This will be heaps cheaper, and probably more readily accpeted, than trying to make the movies 7,8,9.

Plus, we all know Harrison Ford doesn't want to know about Star Wars anymore and thinks that everyone who does like and are over the age of 13 are childish and immature.

I'm 22, and I am proud to say I love Star Wars. Go jump in a lake full of cow dung Ford.

Master_thorin
9 January 2002, 06:18 AM
Figured id throw my hat in the ring and say that i want to see a post Vong invasion series w/ the Solo twins and Ben Skywalker. and why not give Mark Hamill a job he hasnt done anything since ROTJ:D . And who wouldnt love to see Mara Jade on the big screen.

darth maim
9 January 2002, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by Master_thorin
Figured id throw my hat in the ring and say that i want to see a post Vong invasion series w/ the Solo twins and Ben Skywalker. and why not give Mark Hamill a job he hasnt done anything since ROTJ:D . And who wouldnt love to see Mara Jade on the big screen.

Come on man cut Mark some slack, he did Jay and Silent Bob strike back... and he was the voice of the animated joker.

Corsair
9 January 2002, 07:14 PM
And who could forget those Wing Commander games. Wing Commander has to be my most love space combat game. Sigh. I want another one. Hehehe.

I think what would be good to see (in addition to what I said), if not in movie format at least in some sorta animated format, would be Spectre of The Past and Vision of The Future.

Mara's also realtively young and hot lookin in those ones. Plus, she aint married to Mental Dilemma Man yet.

Wade Trenor
10 January 2002, 04:59 AM
I think the idea of an animated series might work. You'd have to wait and see how the one for Buffy worked out first, though.

Anyway, Lucas will have exhausted a lot of heroic themes and ideas in the two trilogies. You've seen the good vs evil, in the original. We're now witness to the moral strains a hero can face with the new trilogy, and of course, there's the family values spread over the entire series.
If a new triology was made, it would probably be about the New Republic's infant years, or perhaps the Jedi Search trilogy.

sebulba524
10 January 2002, 12:18 PM
If it were CGI, I'd love to see it. Of course, it would be absurd if it weren't CGI, cause ILM mastered it.

Gabriel
10 January 2002, 03:00 PM
You forgot an option on your poll, which none. That's my vote. None of the books are good enough to make into films. Rouge Squadron would be the only one that is close.

Arakyd
10 January 2002, 04:42 PM
The choice of none, is now in the poll.

Kupferdachl
29 January 2002, 02:32 AM
George Lukas won't make episode 7,8,9 because he has his own visions and the books are telling a completly other story.

the second thougt is that even if he would make these movies the story would be so different that many people wouldn't go to see them because for them the story line of the books are an integral part of their star wars universe

Talonne Hauk
29 January 2002, 08:44 PM
None is the way to go. Hey, I liked the Harry Potter movie and The Lord of the rings. They were done very well. But I told my family and friends that my anticipation of those films was nothing compared to my anticipation for Attack of the clones, and the simple reason was because I read Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings. There was no surprise for me from those two books, I already knew the story. The best movies are those that tell a story.

DirkGreystoke
30 January 2002, 10:37 PM
the second thougt is that even if he would make these movies the story would be so different that many people wouldn't go to see them because for them the story line of the books are an integral part of their star wars universe

This is true, but this crowd of ignorants would be small and insignificant. The books have made such a mess of the SW universe that if Lucas made movies the NJO would soon be forgotten. It appears that George will not make any more movies after EPIII, but he does have the right if he wants to.

Anyways, it would be a cool story to tell your (in my case future)kids, about how these rare out of print books were the first version of the totally different films that everyone loves.

Rinisari
3 February 2002, 11:36 AM
I think that episodes 7-9 should be NJO so that people are the right age.
Natalie Portman could play Jaina, because of the familial resmeblance that would only be right, and Jacen could be played by the likes of Elijah Wood. Anakin could be played by Taran Noah Smith. It would be hard to see Chewie killed off, though...

If they were to make movies that weren't in the series, and that would add some laughs to the series, the X-Wing Series, in its entirety would be great. Pilot stories are always the best in my book :)

Grand Admiral Jason
19 February 2002, 05:52 PM
Its praticly imnpossible for me to pick. I think, that if Lucas could afford it, he should make all the novels into movies (but ireally doubt that.)

hotten2
22 February 2002, 02:38 AM
i miss the option "GEORGE LUCAS, keep ya dirty hands away from star wars please, yes we are greatful for ot, but hey, uve lost ít!"

phoenixbrose
22 February 2002, 11:46 AM
While I threw in my vote for the Thrawn Trilogy, the NJO would make more sense age-wise. I wouldn't use the Dark Tide Duology, though. I'd do Vector Prime, Star by Star, and then whatever ends up being the final book of the series.

But if it wasn't just a pipe dream, I'd have to agree that an all-original Lucas story would probably be the best alternative.

Dark Knight
6 March 2002, 09:12 PM
I think that NJO would make the most sense if you wanted to keep the same actors and such what with it being 25 years after. the only problem would be that anus Ford. Hamill and fisher would do it in a heartbeat, look at Jay and Silent Bob (no slandering the movie waqs great) Whats billy dee doing? drinking colt 45 and getting fat? buy him a treadmill and he's in. most of the others are already working on eps 1&2 so they would assureadly be in. the fun part would be filling the new roles and such.

dgswensen
6 March 2002, 10:55 PM
This opinion may be really unpopular -- but I thought the Timothy Zahn books were dismal. I tried reading them (more than once), and couldn't make it through them -- even reading the plot synopses in the Essential Guides made me groan.

I won't lambast the books at length (as I'm a little tempted to do), but if Lucas were to make 7-9, I would like to see him do his own thing, not Zahn's. I didn't care for Zahn's story at all. If nothing else, I would like to see something done further in the future than the Zahn trilogy was. Though i haven't read any of the NJO stuff, some of the ideas sound promising.

Raiden
7 March 2002, 10:24 AM
A small irony that most of you have missed. when the first three movies were made back in the 80's, GL said he was not going to make any more SW films.

Flash forward to just after episode 1's release GL anounces that he will not take any part in episodes 2 or 3

Flash forward to now GL anounces that he will not make episodes 7,8,9

Anoybody see a trend here?

On a side note GL said that he ever made the last three movies it would overwrite anything done in EU

Tannik Tulo
7 March 2002, 11:05 AM
NJO would be to big a jump, episodes 1-6 have a story thet follows a group of characters, with the story jumping years but to move from ROTJ fifteen or so years into the future without explaining the new rupublic, empire/rup treaty, mara jade etc would make it very confusing. personaly i agree with the poll the thrawn trilogy would be best. it moves from ROTJ very smoothly, and no stupidly overpowered doomsday weapon is involved (unless you count Thrawn):D

Tannik Tulo
7 March 2002, 11:08 AM
NJO would be to big a jump, episodes 1-6 have a story thet follows a group of characters, with the story jumping years but to move from ROTJ fifteen or so years into the future without explaining the new rupublic, empire/rup treaty, mara jade etc would make it very confusing. personaly i agree with the poll the thrawn trilogy would be best. it moves from ROTJ very smoothly, and no stupidly overpowered doomsday weapon is involved (unless you count Thrawn)

But we all know that Lucas would never do anymore films.

:D

Soontide
12 March 2002, 09:50 PM
I, like many others, believe that Lucas will retire from filmmaking after finishing Ep III. But, there is the possibility of a series one day. In fact, way back in 1979, Lucas was approached about a star wars series, but decided against it because it was hard enough to make Star Wars quality special effects for the big screen. On the limited budget of a TV series, it would have been almost impossible.
Now, though, the technology is there to do it. Just look at the wonderful effects from shows like, Babylon 5, Space Above and Beyond and Farscape. It would be not only possible, but easy for a series to be done now to Lucas' liking in my opinion. The X-wing series is highly episodic(coming mainly from comics) and there are enough new characters in this series to make it plausable. They might have to get a substitute wedge, but other than that, it would be possible to find new actors for the roles.

Let me know what you think on this idea. I would like to see the DJO starters in a new trilogy if there is one btw.

DirkGreystoke
13 March 2002, 06:31 AM
We talked about a star wars series a while back. As before I say that it is not plausible for several reasons. The cost would be too high. The price for one episode of Star Trek: Enterprise is well over a million dollors an episode, and they use the same sets over and over. A star wars series would need different sets every week, and also would require far more effects shots than any other sci-fi show that has ever been produced. Lucas would not cut corners, and that is why a show is not going to happen. Frankly, I would not enjoy a star wars show if it were as low in quality and production as something like Farscape. As far as Bablylon 5, that was a great series - but again they used a lot of the same sets every episode which help keeps costs down, and frankly the effects of Bablylon 5, as great as they are, are nowhere near the quality of star wars.

Dark Knight
16 March 2002, 01:46 AM
dgswenson you aren't alone in you r thoughts on the thrawn trilogy. myself personally i was a fan of the concept but how it was written irked me to no end, what with everyone being referred to as the other. THAT KILLED ME. But if you think about it unless you replace all of the actor's which would be a HUGE mistake.....except for that anus Ford you would have to go with a later timeline than that unless you have a lot of makeup and plastic surgery to drop about 15 years off of each actor and actress.

dgswensen
16 March 2002, 02:41 AM
Originally posted by Dark Knight
But if you think about it unless you replace all of the actor's which would be a HUGE mistake.....you would have to go with a later timeline than that unless you have a lot of makeup and plastic surgery to drop about 15 years off of each actor and actress.
Thanks for chiming in on the Thrawn trilogy. I'm glad I'm not alone in that.

And if Lucas were to do the next three movies, I would certainly hope he replaced the cast... they had their time, and it was great, but I think it's pretty much over. I don't think Ford ever wants to do Star Wars again, and the rest of the cast... they're just too old for action parts, no offense to them. Billy Dee Williams is 65. Carrie Fisher is 46. Mark Hamill is 51. I mean, I don't mean to age discriminate, but come on. Lucas is almost 60. By the time Lucas finished the third trilogy, he'd be over 70 years old himself. And John Williams is 70 now! By the time Episode IX came out, he'd probably be 80, if he was still alive at all. And I don't know if he'd really be up for still composing Star Wars movies at 80 years old. I would hope so, but chances would be cagey at that point.

Plus, plain and simple fact, I just don't see what more there is to say. The whole Star Wars arc is about the rise, fall, and redemption of Anakin Skywalker. He dies in ROTJ and is redeemed. Done. Story's over.

Reverend Strone
16 March 2002, 08:31 PM
Of course there will be no Ep 7, 8 or 9, but for the sake of pure discussion and wishful thinking, my vote would go to the Thrawn trilogy. It has its faults, but it is the only stuff I've read set after Jedi that was any good. NJO leaves me cold.

But even if Eps 7, 8 and 9 were made, there's no way they would be based on any of the existing EU literature. Lucas would (and in my opinion should) ignore all that others have written and craft his own story.

Let's say he were to try doing an Ep 7. What's the story? It's already finished. The threads are all wrapped up.

The only hope I could see for Star Wars on screens beyond the current prequel trilogy would be a tv series. It would likely be set in a different time and certainly use new characters, but whether Lucas would ever go for it would depend on the people involved and what level of trust he would have in them. Most certainly, he'd never do it himself. Yet I sense that once the prequels are done and the reality sets in that there will never be anymore SW films, the prospect of the franchise embracing a new medium like televison is a distinct possibility. Shows like Enterprise do demonstrate the feasability of it from a production standpoint.

Time will tell I guess.

Jastor
17 March 2002, 12:27 PM
IF mr Lucas would make ep 7 - 9 he would proabably use the Thrawn Triology, but still, i dont think that he will.

Uncle Fuzz
17 March 2002, 01:48 PM
Post NJO with an old Luke and Ben being the main character, I agree that the Novels should be down animated.

CrazyDubya
26 April 2002, 03:48 AM
Timothy Zahn didn't write the Thrawn Trilogy, he stole GL script for 7,8,9
:)

Seriously though. Zahn trilogy covered the SW arc pretty closely to the movies. Empire get minor setback, NR get minor setback, Empire get crushed. Its actually much mroe complex , but on a basic level he did copy the SW arc and his story does fit well.

I recall hearing years ago that GL had written at least a basic outline for 9 Episodes of Star Wars, he has an dea of where he wanted this Universe to go.

He chose to make the First 3 now b/c he felt technology was right to have his vision shown.

He also agreed to allow the Expanded Universe to be created when he authorized Zahn trilogy. Which to me says 2 things:

1) He gave up his vision of 7,8,9 and realized that he would never see them made, so let the writers create the universe.

or

2) he really did Hand Zahn a basic outline of what he had hoped would be 7,8,9 and told him to make it a book.

Granted it sounds outrageous, but Zahn is agreeat writer and was the first author reall authorized to write and in many ways shape the EU to what it becomes.

Thrawn was perhaps the single greatest Chracter ever created outside the movies

Mara Jade is a close second

And Tallon ties uup there with Corran for third

Yes... I loved Zahn's book. I think he created very compelling chracters and created everything that allows their be the EU.

I truly belive that GL had input in this book in some way. And like I said my idea is insane and perhaps GL will admit one day what his plan for 7,8,9 is.

But since he said he has other projects he wants to complete and I don't think the World could ever handle 7,8,9 esp if it just toosed the books out the window.

GL Universe or Not. The writers are what have kept that Universe growing and alive in the minds of many. Some of us love SW fort he movies, but their is millions of fans that found the books first and the movies later.

So... Flame me, Comment... Just give me some intelligent comments.

Arakyd
26 April 2002, 04:02 AM
Originally posted by CrazyDubya
So... Flame me, Comment... Just give me some intelligent comments.

CrazyDubya, flaming and trolling is not allowed, on the Holonet.

Thnak You!

jordanian
8 May 2002, 05:14 PM
dubya,
GL did indeed have several talks with Zahn about the future of Star Wars, it states in one of the old Star Wars adventure journals that Ol' George did change things from Zahn's original ideas but GL didn't hand him any script or anything of that sort. initially, zahn wanted to have the clone Jor'uus C'baoth as a clone of obi-wan kenobi, and wanted the noghri to be the sith that they referred to in the original trilogies. So, GL didn't give him a script but certainly helped him make the novels what they were.