PDA

View Full Version : Intergalactic Banking

Nova Spice
5 January 2002, 09:03 PM
I heard that Episode II will contain a new corporation known as the Intergalactic Banking Guild or something to that degree. I was wondering if this corporation could be some ploy by Palpatine or under the jurisdiction of the Trade Federation or the Republic?

Any thoughts on this strange corporation and any idea why it would be called Intergalactic when STAR WARS takes place in only one galaxy? 8o

Wade Trenor
5 January 2002, 11:41 PM
Aren't you getting Inter- and Extra- mixed up?

With what little knowledge I have, I'd say that its the Republics Bank, so that Republic currency could reach all systems within the Republic. It just means that each planet/system has their own currency, as well as the Republic currency, and there are no problems faced by explorers or traders.

Chris Curtis
6 January 2002, 11:32 AM
Well, technically you're correct regarding the name of the bank, Nova Spice -- sort of.

The word itself should refer to something situated in or related to the space between galaxies. However, an alternate definition (and the one most people actually use) is "of, relating to, or occuring in outer space". So I think they were just saying that the bank wasn't limited to one planet or star system.

Durian Keldrona
10 January 2002, 10:51 AM
So how do you think banking works? Do they have a hard currency or is everything done with "Cred Sticks" or what ever you want to call the Debit style cards.

Nova Spice
11 January 2002, 05:14 PM
Im interested to find that out as well. I was under the impression that the big fat blue Twi'lek, Mas Amedda was on the board of the Intergalactic Banking Guild or Extragalactic...whatever....:D

Probably, the Republic has it set up similar to a stock market and the currency is more like "cred-notes" rather than "cred-sticks."

Basically, I am naturally curious about "STAR WARS economics" and I was wondering if anyone here has heard the rumors about the guild or not. That movie is gonna be so sweet. I can almost taste it! B)

I wonder if the guild was destroyed when Palpatine took control?

DirkGreystoke
12 January 2002, 07:22 PM
I would think that Palpatine took over the guild and made it the Imperial Guild or something. But as for currency, I am curious also. I had not heard that about the new film. Thanks guys.

Faraer
13 January 2002, 02:32 PM
There is (probably accurate) spoiler information about the InterGalactic Bank Clan here (http://www.theforce.net/episode2/factions_representatives.shtml). It's also mentioned in the starwars.com Databank entry for the Trade Federation: "Coalitions such as the Trade Federation, Commerce Guild, Techno Union, and the InterGalactic Bank Clan consolidated their individual markets under governing bodies of such size that they exhibited pull on the actions of the Galactic Senate." Also referred to in Cloak of Deception p. 81, set in 33 BBY (and more closely coordinated with Lucas than most EU, as The Approaching Storm will be -- that book will likely feature the Clan too).

So there is not a Republic central bank, though the Clan may function almost as one by the time of Episode II. I doubt most Republic systems bother with separate currencies, except in the Republic's very last decades.

The fat Twi'lek senator is Orn Free Taa, not directly associated with the IBC that I know of. His associate Senator Passel Argente is affiliated with the Corporate Alliance in CoD though.

"Intergalactic" does mean between galaxies, but clearly the word is used here in looser a SF-serial kind of way.