PDA

View Full Version : Creative uses of the Force

Ash
7 January 2002, 08:44 AM
I was GMing my Friday night game when we came to a lightsaber duel between one of my players and a Dark Jedi on the top of a landspeeder. The player was definately out of his league in attacking the Dark Jedi and I was hoping to see some interesting use of the Force during this climatic battle. I expected to see Force Pushs, Move Object or other unique ways of dispatching his foe. Unfortunately it came down to straight sword-fighting.

What I'd like to know from all the readers here is what interesting ways you have used the Force to save the day? Any combat tricks or tips to get the most out of a Jedi?

The Admiral
7 January 2002, 10:40 AM
Well, hmm, it was entirely unintentional, but a Jedi PC in one of my games managed to 'save the day' by using TK to comprehensively alter a game of 3D pool in a bar on a Mon Calamari city docks (Including firing one ball through the cushion with enough force that it exploded and set fire to the bar), thereby instigating a fully fledged bar brawl of epic proportions as Player A justifiably accused Player B of cheating, and vice versa. As the bar brawl engulfed virtually every one in the bar, which was now burning away happilly as exotic liquers fuelled the blaze, the characters were able to slip out through a freshly created hole in the wall as the Dark Jedi who had been chasing them entered the bar with two squads of stormtroopers. That bought them enough time and space as the Dark Jedi and troops got caught up that they were able to intercept the last of three Aqualish submarine forces that had been dispatched to sink three cities that they Aqualish believed had supported Corellian attacks on Ando. They saved the city from sinking, at the cost of their Corellian Corvette being sunk as the city tilted, throwing it into the ocean, and the embarrasing affair in which their Elom pilot managed to get eaten by a whale, only to have the Dark Jedi use TK again to lift the entire creature out of the water long enough for it to vomit him up.

That was an odd session,,,

Sabre
7 January 2002, 10:48 AM
I had a great one. It was the last mission of a long-running campaign and a Jedi character was facing off against a long-running enemy. He was slowly losing, and realized that he wasn't going to beat the enemy alone. So he falls back to a hangar. The fight continues until he has the split second he needs to make his move. He throws his weapon and uses the force to guide it. The enemy dodges, dashes forward, and runs him through. He spends his last FP to keep his rolls going that round. The enemy says "You missed." He smiles and says "No, I didn't." His lightsaber takes out the shield projector that keeps everything from being sucked into space. He took the enemy with him into the void.

So-Var Leet
7 January 2002, 02:39 PM
Wow. That's awesome, Sabre.

Moridin
7 January 2002, 03:16 PM
That is totally badass.

I'm SO going to use that in one of my games. Bang-up job, Sabre.

Calib_Muhdanyl
8 January 2002, 04:46 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ash
I was GMing my Friday night game when we came to a lightsaber duel between one of my players and a Dark Jedi on the top of a landspeeder. The player was definately out of his league in attacking the Dark Jedi and I was hoping to see some interesting use of the Force during this climatic battle. I expected to see Force Pushs, Move Object or other unique ways of dispatching his foe. Unfortunately it came down to straight sword-fighting.

Uhh Ash....its kind of hard to be creative with Force powers when, before I even get a swing off, I am down to 5 wound points. 8o :mad:

Kobayashi_Maru
8 January 2002, 01:52 PM
I used affect mind to make my opponent (a dark side witch) to think I was attacking from a different direction then I really was and recieved a DSP for it as well.

I tried to use force push to slow my impact after a fall. I failed the check so don't know if it would of worked or not.

These aren't really force uses but I cut a hole in the floor around a Sith I couldn't seem to hit. And I cut a beam, supprting part of a collapsed factory on it, while this DSM was under it once agian I was having trouble hitting.

dragonseye
8 January 2002, 02:18 PM
Indeed Sabre, that was a good one.

Anywho, to the couple creative ones that I've seen/ done:

A fellow player did not want to use deadly force to subdue a dark Jedi, so instead, he decides to tie the DJ up with a grapple spike launcher. He shoots the spike launcher into the Dark Jedi and then activates Burst of Speed and runs several times around the DJ until the Dark Jedi can't possibly get himself out of the ropes. At that point, another one of the characters disarms the Dark Jedi and we take him prisoner.

The one that I did was during a Dark Side campaign where my character picked up the unconscious form of one of the Imperial remnant guards and smashes him into a fellow guard using the Move Object skill.

So-Var Leet
8 January 2002, 02:24 PM
Good one DragonEye!

One time we were taken into the office of an Imperial officers quarters. It was himself and his main bodyguard lacky in front of me, two other PCs to my left and right, and then three guards behind us.

So I used Force Mastery and Force Pushed the officer into the wall (so that he wouldn't attack anyone), and I used Move Object to slide the big-ass durasteel desk across the floor to pin the bodyguard lacky under it.

The other PCs disarmed the guards. We tied them all up and left them there while we went back to my ship to get off of the planet.

Dr_Worm
8 January 2002, 03:09 PM
Well We, like most campaigns at one time or another, did the battle of Hoth (we were aroung back where there were no movie cameras). In it we tried the old Wrap the AT-AT legs trick, but missed. So the gunner uses a CP and TK to guide the magna grapple into place. After that success he was ripe to try it again, but didn't need to.

Stortly after they we found ourselves attempting to subdue a AT-ST and the same Force user got to the top first. After making short work of the lock with his LS he busted in and used TK to literally knock the driver and Gunner's heads together. He stunned them pretty good and they jammed the controlls and collapsed the walker. We didn't get that walker, but we were laughing so hard and making so many jokes that we had to break for 30min to calm down.

Reality (or so to speak) hit later when we ended getting in an unresloved feud over whether it deserved a DS point.

Donovan Morningfire
8 January 2002, 04:43 PM
I've had a couple ... peculiar Force uses (but nowheres near as cool as Sabre's; I'll have to remember that one for later use by the 'noble old Jedi mentor whose time has come to join the choir invisible.' :D) Grant you, most of these are d6; haven't had as many Force-users in d20 yet.

Had a recurring villain (totally psycho) who used Telekinetic Kill (d6) to quite literally crush his victims' heads, all while doing the Kids in the Hall "I squish your head" bit. Had more than enough Alter dice to roll killing damage each time. His reign of terror came to an end via an proton torpedo enema.

During a Dark Side game, the female Sith sorceress (the player's own term, way before EpI and the Rule of Two) got inventive with some her Force usage. Used Telekinesis to rip her victim's heart out, especially after someone called her heartless :D She also liked Force Lightning, and got quite good at extending the time it took for death to set in (while providing all with a fine light show :D)

I once played a young teenaged force-user (who dreamed of one day becoming a true Jedi) that used TK to augment his weapon of choice ... a metal yo-yo. 'Round the world and walk the dog take on whole new meanings. (Inspiration was the scene in TMNT2 where Mikey takes out lotsa bad guys with a yo-yo.) Problem came that when he finally found an old Jedi who was willing to teach him, my character refused to use a lightsaber, having become very, very good with the yo-yo.

So-Var Leet
8 January 2002, 07:13 PM
I can see it now: the latest generation of Jedi have come out with the newest and greastest weapon not even the YV can top - the lightyo.

Ash
9 January 2002, 04:21 AM
Wow, great ideas from everyone! The evil GM in me is definately getting some new villian ideas and hopefully some people can take away an idea or two in a pinch.

Also, sorry Calib. Didn't mean to roll that 20 right away. I never thought you'd jump into a duel on a moving landspeeder.

"Excellent Smithers!."
- Mr. Burns from The Simpsons

loudanddeep
9 January 2002, 07:34 PM
Ok,
A few weeks ago my party and I were trying to sneak past some guards....

It was pretty tight.

My jedi character spotted and obese rodian going through the customs area...my character hates rodians (character background trait).

I used affect mind on some of the guards to make them think they heard a really loud uh...sound....coming from the rodian.

It worked so well, one of the gards yelled "oh my god, what was that".
This furthur caused a distration.

Our characters were able to sneak away in the commotion.
We however, were laughing for about 20min.

dp