PDA

View Full Version : Does the New Republic deal with scoundrel types?

BadAsh
9 January 2002, 07:37 AM
My gaming group just finished the old d6 adventure "Tatooine Manhunt." In it, bounty hunters from all around are trying to capture a man worth 50 million credits from the Empire. Now my players captured him, but don't trust the Empire to pay up. They have decided that they want to sell him to the New Republic. Now, I'm not sure if the NR deals with bounty hunter/scoundrel types. If they do, what do you think is a good price they would pay? (the character is an old general and they want him bad)

Thanks for the input.

Gabriel
9 January 2002, 08:34 AM
Wow, it has been a long time since i played that adventure and i dont remember anything about it. But it depends on who the person is your PCs captured. If he is someone who is important to the Empire, then I would think the NR might pay to keep him out of Imperial hands if it would give them an advantage over the Imperial Remnant. But if the guy is just a common criminal i dont think the NR would intervene, unless the guy was innocent.

BadAsh
9 January 2002, 11:44 AM
The person they have captured is an general from the Old Republic, so yes it is important that the Empire dosen't get their hands on him. I'm just not sure if they would deal from him. I'm not sure what their stance is on those matters.

Donovan Morningfire
9 January 2002, 12:08 PM
I've never played Tatooine Manhunt, but here goes. Assuming the Old Republic general is a hero from the Clone Wars that is verbally opposed to the Empire, then the New Republic would get involved to get this guy to safety. They might pay a small sum of money, but nowheres near 50 mil. 100,000 and a large portion of good will is about it.

If the Old Repub general is wanted for a multitude of war crimes (like bombarding innocent worlds and other sorts of nastiness), the the New Republic would have a bounty on this guy's head as well. Again, nowheres near as much as the Empire bounty (which if after Endor probably shouldn't be that high). Maybe somewheres around 500,000.

BadAsh
9 January 2002, 12:23 PM
Assuming the Old Republic general is a hero from the Clone Wars that is verbally opposed to the Empire, then the New Republic would get involved to get this guy to safety. They might pay a small sum of money, but nowheres near 50 mil. 100,000 and a large portion of good will is about it.

Yup that's the deal with him, he is an old war hero. I was thinking of somewhere around 100k for him, but I wasn't sure if this is something they advocate. Thinking maybe they would try to arrest the hunters or something.

Aaron B'Aviv
9 January 2002, 06:48 PM
The filthy rebels get all high and mighty, but they'll dirty their hands if it means achieving their goals... for examples, think of Han Solo's reward for rescuing Leia, Bria Tharen's use of smugglers for the invasion of Ylesia, etc...

They might deny it if Fey'lya or his ilk dredged it up years later, and Ackbar and the Mon Cals as a species would tend to stay away from such tainted dealings, but the rebel command structure is infinitely more pragmatic than idealistic. If said old republic general could help their war effort, I can see them paying a sizable fee (again, not 50 millions, but somewhere far north of 100k... 10 million, maybe, though it'd depend on how well your heroes negotiate) to acquire him.

Oh, and the line about filthy rebels is a joke- I've always rped as a rebel fighter pilot, for as long as I can remember, and have nothing against rebels.

Rigil Kent
9 January 2002, 07:10 PM
Well I think it depends on whether it serves your story or not. Consider the following: the New Republic is ALWAYS strapped for cash, as is the case with any government that replaces a tyranny (see modern-day Russia (post-USSR), or post Nazi Germay as examples) so I sincerely doubt they are going to be tossing millions around. Depending upon the time period, the Empire may not have the necessary funds to do so either, especially if you set the game in the waning years of the New Order.

Given your initial question, are we to assume the characters are bounty hunters? If yes, this provides some immediate plot threads that I see.

First, if the PCs were dispatched by a Guild or something to apprehend/retrieve this guy, then turned around and sold him off to the highest bidder, that isn't going to do wonders for their reputation. Suddenly, they will find contacts drying up, or perhaps the Guild simply informs them they are no longer members.

Second, if the characters have already done something like this, you could conceivably pull a True Romance plot where neither side trusts the PCs and both plan commando strikes to liberate the man from them. And of course, they all show up at the same time so the PCs are surrounded by Imps, Rebs, and Bounty Hunters, all screaming at each other to lower their weapons.

But those are just some ideas...

BadAsh
10 January 2002, 12:46 PM
Hey thanks for the suggestions guys! I think I'm gonna have their employers come after them. If they get away I'll probably reward them with 100k at most from the NR (maybe less depending on their diplomacy skills).

So-Var Leet
10 January 2002, 06:58 PM
Considering that Thrawn only offered Karrde 3 million for the Katana fleet, I highly doubt that the Imperial Reminant would be throwing around 50 million credits for one man.

Also in the Thrawn trilogy, Luke Skywalker was taken aback when he heard that the Imperial's had put a bounty of 30,000 credits on his head. And we are talking about Luke Skywalker here - the man the brought down Vader and the Emporer.

BadAsh
11 January 2002, 07:57 AM
Well, the Empire was never going to pay that it, was just in the adventure to cause a frenzy of bounty hunters I guess.

So-Var Leet
11 January 2002, 10:14 AM
I wish we knew how much of a bounty Jabba had put on Han's head. Then we could have a little bit better of a scale.