PDA

View Full Version : The HoloNet's New Clothes

Armage Bedar
9 January 2002, 05:23 PM
First, allow me to apologize about yesterday afternoon's outage. That was the result of a corrupted file that I apparently uploaded to the server without checking it. The problem was fixed, albeit four hours later - and for that, I am sorry. Now, on to the exciting news...

I'm sure you all received quite a shock when you loaded the HoloNet this evening (or morning, or afternoon) - well, welcome to the new HoloNet! <b>This</b>, along with the SWRPGNetwork redesign, is what I have been working on for the past several months. As promised, this is the first phase of the long-awaited redesign of SWRPGNetwork, and we decided to reveal the HoloNet first to get you used to it. As you may notice, there are substantial changes, not only to the color scheme and layout but to functionality as well. While it would be wasteful for me to go through them all here, I'll discuss some of the more interesting and important changes:

<ul>
<li><b>Changed Rank System</b>. You may notice new or changed rank badges beside your name. They may be lower, they may be higher. This is due to a change in the way rank badges are determined. No longer are they determined by post count only - instead, a variety of factors including posts, membership length, and rate of posts per day are used to calculate your rank badge. I won't divulge the algorithm, of course - that would be cheating! :-)</li>
<li><b>User Statistics</b>. These can be found in users' profiles, as well as in your own User Control Panel. They are influenced from Wizards of the Coast's d20 version of the SW-RPG. VP (Vitality Points), WP (Wound Points), and XP (Experience Points) are not related to the actual system in anything except name. They're based off of more user information, so they'll change based on your posting habits, just as your rank badge will.</li>
<li><b>User Ratings</b>. This is a feature I'm particularly keen on - the ability to rate other members based on their posts. All members begin on a level playing field - but if you think they deserve extra recognition for their thoughtful posts or helpfulness, give them a positive rating! Or, if you see a member being unhelpful or generally annoying, take them down a notch or two. More information about this system can be found <a href="misc.php?action=faq&page=3#30">here</a>.</li>
<li><b>Modified Posting Guidelines</b>. Check out <a href="misc.php?action=faq&page=2#29">this page</a> to review the HoloNet Posting Guidelines. A few new rules have been added (and some useless ones removed), so be sure you're aware of them.</li>
</ul>

That's about it for the notable changes - obviously some more minor things have been implemented, but they await your discovery. I hope you like the new look. If you have any comments, concerns, or problems with the new design, please post them in this thread. Enjoy!

Rigil Kent
9 January 2002, 06:53 PM
Looks pretty good so far; one thing I immediately noticed was that the "View New Stuff" thing is a little too small. I'd recommend hyperlinking a bit more than just the word "Here."

Always keeping us on our toes, eh Armage? :)

Paul Klein
9 January 2002, 07:50 PM
I like the green color =)

wolfe
9 January 2002, 08:00 PM
WOW,
Looks very nice so far..
I got to agree with Rigil the link is a bit small or if they were made to standout better..
anyway good work.

saucercrab
9 January 2002, 08:04 PM
I actually shot my mouth off in C&M first, 'stead of here. :(

But I will repeat:

.Get you filthy paws off me you damn dirty-, umm, wait, that wasn't it.

Anyway, I like the new look. Are there options for other colors? Just curious; I guess I will go look

Du'Kaal
9 January 2002, 08:35 PM
Looks good. I honestly don't know how you find the time for all the cool updates, but keep up the great work.

Jake Sunspot
10 January 2002, 01:38 AM
Looks good. Looks like you put a lot of $@^#$$@ work into it. Looks Real Good

sebulba524
10 January 2002, 03:17 AM
I like it. The green is a nice touch. Will we see avatars again soon?

Mad Tech
10 January 2002, 06:18 AM
Mmmmmmmmmm...... green.

The changes look good, though I can't really say that they are an improvement. Just different. But it's not bad either. Get rid of the thick white border on the left and right though. They make the page look too narrow.

Mad Tech

Donovan Morningfire
10 January 2002, 06:24 AM
To quote a long-loved sci-fi icon,

"Fascinating" (said in a dry, emotionless tone of voice) :D

Haven't explored too deeply, but looks pretty cool so far.

Just took a look at my new rank. I wasn't expectin' a promotion! Groovy!

Arakyd
10 January 2002, 06:36 AM
I like the new look! :)

I realy like, that I am now a Grand Moff thanks to the new ranking system.:D

Deck
10 January 2002, 08:48 AM
I love the green!

The new layout looks great!

And congrats to Grand Moff Arakyd!

Durian Keldrona
10 January 2002, 08:50 AM
Very Nice. I like the new look.. It also encourages people to log in more.

Nazgul
10 January 2002, 10:51 AM
I like it. I really like being able to collapse some of the messages after you read them, makes it easier to find things. :)

Emperor Xanderich II
10 January 2002, 12:16 PM
This be cool, I like change, so roll on new holonet design. Hmm, I wonder what my rank bagde looks like now?...

Moridin
10 January 2002, 04:23 PM
It's been soooooo hard helping Armage with the redesign and keeping my mouth shut. I've kept saying "man I can't wait till they see what we've done!" OK, really, what Armage did. I'm just his second banana when it comes to the tech stuff, but I did help with some of the graphics. In any event, I'm glad everyone likes it And if you like it, let Armage know his hard work paid off.

Armage Bedar
10 January 2002, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by Moridin
...and if you like it, let Armage know his hard work paid off.

And you can show your gratitude by giving me a positive rating :-) Seriously, though, I encourage all of you to rate each other. Think of it sort of like a "pat on the back / slap on the face" system. If someone does a good thing, pat them on the back - if they act like a moron, slap 'em around a bit. (Keep in mind the time and place, of course - C&M will obviously be more lenient in this regard than the rest of the HoloNet.) I hope that this will encourage members to make thoughtful and helpful comments - and will also allow moderators to know what sort of job they're doing.

Rinisari
10 January 2002, 06:35 PM
Looks great. I love the new colors and the new features!

Wileama
10 January 2002, 06:42 PM
I love it. I'm still catching onto some of the stuff but i really like it so far.

Fred Getce
11 January 2002, 05:34 PM
I leave for a week and look at this sh*t, just like a women to rearrange the place when the man is gone (not insinuating anything there Armage :D).

Actually it is pretty good. The new green colors have a natural lighting to them when you read the posts instead of the blue colors. Cheerio! :)

I'm still waiting for the evil smiley to show up.

sebulba524
11 January 2002, 05:41 PM
Armage, are you planning to put in Avatars in the near future? If it's part of some sort of secret plan, I'll stop talking now so nothing is ruined. But are you considering it?

darth maim
12 January 2002, 02:26 AM
I definately like it there are really only 2 things missing so far that I wish were back....

1) the fact that in order to go to the second page and beyond on a thread you have to scroll back to the top.

2) The updates from wizards of the coast are gone from the side... not so much important in the holonet as it is in the rest of the site (since the rest of the site is going to this format as well).

Other than that I love it! If you guys ever need any help in the future to speed these types of things up lemme know. I do web / graphics design for a living and would be more than happy to lend a hand.

darth maim
12 January 2002, 02:29 AM
under the featured item (when I try to click the link) it asks for a login and password (which is apparently different than my holonet info because that didn't work)

darth maim
12 January 2002, 02:30 AM
apparently that was a fluke or something... just tried again and it worked fine.

Armage Bedar
12 January 2002, 03:25 AM
No, sebulba524, I'm not planning on adding avatars. Only rank badges.

Darth maim, the WotC syndicated news box isn't showing up because the whole site hasn't been changed to the new look. It'll make a reappearance soon. And I'll change that problem with having to jump back to the top to go to the next thread page.

Deano
13 January 2002, 03:42 AM
Nice new green look! Very groovy.

My only two issues are:

i) I seem to be getting a lot of 'server busy messages' and connection problems.

and ii) the daunting thought of reviewing the entire network again ;) lol

Good work

Deano

Aaron B'Aviv
13 January 2002, 11:09 AM
The new design is pretty and all, and I like the colors and the new features, but...

You knew there had to be a but, didn't you?

A couple of times in the past few days, when I tried to access the holonet it gave me a message saying the Holonet was too busy and for me to try again later. What's the problem, and is there any way to fix it? Oftentimes, at the 'later time' when I would try again, my kid brother has seized the computer, so I can't put up with not accessing the Holonet when I can...

I'll die without my daily fix of SW rpg discussion! I'll die, i tell you!

Donovan Morningfire
13 January 2002, 01:34 PM
Aaron and Deano,
I'm definitely not Armage, but what I've been doing to sidestep the "server busy" problem is make sure I log out when I'm done going through the forums. It's a couple of extra steps, but what it saves in aggravation is more than worth it.

Of course, the only problem is that if you get knocked off-line, you have to go an delete the cookiee for here. Otherwise, "server busy" will start to become a mantra :D

Sabre
14 January 2002, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by Armage Bedar
User Ratings:This is a feature I'm particularly keen on - the ability to rate other members based on their posts. All members begin on a level playing field - but if you think they deserve extra recognition for their thoughtful posts or helpfulness, give them a positive rating! Or, if you see a member being unhelpful or generally annoying, take them down a notch or two. [/B]

While it's understandable that some people would favor the idea of rating and being rated, I for one don't care for the idea. It's nice to know that some people find what I say helpful or informative, but there's bound to be one or two of you out there who I've irked in the past because I disagreed with you about something (probably posted in rants or C&M), and I doubt that people are going to remain impartial when judging the quality of post content. Initially there was a way to opt out of the rating system, but that seems to have been removed. No offense intended, but I simply don't care to know what any of you think of me personally. I use the holonet to see what other people are doing with the RPG, and to tell people about what I'm doing with the RPG. Occasionally I'll stumble into a discussion about opinions on one thing or another, which is usually where people's buttons get pressed. To sum up, I don't want to be part of any popularity contests, and I hope you see fit to return the option to go unrated sometime in the future.

Armage Bedar
15 January 2002, 03:38 PM
I am most likely not going to disable this for specific users to avoid setting a precedent. If one user wants it off, then others may follow (regardless of whether they can do it themselves or must ask an administrator to do it for them). The benefits of this system outweigh the deficits in terms of letting members know another member's rough track record. In fact, user ratings are less for you personally and more for everyone else. Other people will care about what you post. Thus, they should have the ability to rate you based on your posts *and* let other people see your general posting history (good, bad, or indifferent).

In short, though, if you don't care what people think, ignore the system. If you pretend it isn't there, then how can it possibly affect how you post?

VixenofVenus
15 January 2002, 04:27 PM
I like it Armage . . . keep up the good work!

Paul Klein
30 January 2002, 02:01 PM
I just wanna say that green is my favorite color.

It's kinda sad when I have a heap of die in my (green) die bag that are all green. :raised:

Liquid_Duaneo
7 February 2002, 01:03 PM
Holy cow...I'm out of it for a little while and everyone starts having delusions of grandeur :p
Love the new look Armage! I really gotta get back in the Star Wars groove.