PDA

View Full Version : Alignment of a Jedi

Finster
9 January 2002, 09:28 PM
Another thread someone posted that they treat Jedi as Paladins. Does this mean that a Jedi would be considered to be "lawful good"? I would say not because they do follow a strict code of morality, they are extremely lax in how that code is applied (the ethics). Paladins, on the other hand, are strict about the morality AND the ethics. I would not classify Luke Skywalker as lawful good. Perhaps neutral good with chaotic tendencies. Although, I'm sure it varies. There are obviously very strict, traditionalist Jedi (Yoda) and not so traditional (Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan, Luke).

Donovan Morningfire
10 January 2002, 06:40 AM
Well, I for one am glad there is no alignment system in Star Wars D20. (My experience has been that's proved more of a straight jacket than a role-playing tool, but YMMV.)

As for Jedi, if we're going to use the alignment system, I'd say the vast majority fell into the nuetral good category. The more rule and procedure minded would be lawful good, and the Qui-Gon types would fall into chaotic good.

trawooken
10 January 2002, 07:52 AM
In my humble view, I would treat jedi as lawful good, neutral good or chotic good depending on the jedi. Yoda i would believe lawful good, obi wan(episode 1) I would belive an example of neutral good, and qui gon an example of chaotic good. On a side note anyone ever pick up that obi wan in episode one was a prick.

Gabriel
10 January 2002, 11:28 AM
I would say neutral good as well. And Obi-Wan is not a prick on EPI, just inexperienced. There is a huge difference.

VixenofVenus
10 January 2002, 01:42 PM
I agree with trawooken.

Jedi would not necessarily be 'lawful','neutral', or 'chaotic', but they would be 'good'.

And those jedi who were chaotic would not necessarily be in more danger from the dark-side either . . . sometimes those who are more lawful are then more prone to follow laws that are 'evil'.

Personally, I have debated adding alignments to Star Wars D20 because it is a useful roleplaying tool that restricts those that wish to do 'anything they want' when they're character really wouldn't.

Emperor Xanderich II
10 January 2002, 01:51 PM
Can we not refer to anyone as 'pricks' please.

trawooken
14 January 2002, 07:32 PM
sorry

Moridin
14 January 2002, 08:22 PM
*gets his firehose full of Holy Water* EEEEEVIL! *sprays the concept of Alignment*

Moose
14 January 2002, 08:49 PM
I think that it is impossible to classify Jedi and that it is bad, since they mainly and should follow the will of the Force, not without thought however. This is convulated I know, but what I mean is that a Jedi sometimes might have to act in an "unpopular" way, which might resualt in him breaking the law, but it is for the greater good of the force. So IMO I think that there should be no classifications made to Jedi.

Corsair
14 January 2002, 09:10 PM
Obi-Wan was very arrogant and headstrong in Episode 1.

Definately comming close to the that which encompasses a [word not allowed Emperor Xanderich II].

ANYWAY,

Obi-wan is lies somewhere between neutral and chaotic good in Episode 1. Remember, he did initiate the fight with Darth Maul using some degree of anger (he had seen his master slain after all), but he did realise this mistake then backed off at which point Darth Maul forced pushed over the edge.

Obi-Wan reaches a stance of neutral good in ANH in my opinion. The only Jedi who are really, strong, lawful good would be Yoda and Mace Windu. The other memebers of the Council would be on a different range between lawful good and neutral good.

Thus is the reason why such a system could never be applied to Star Wars. Its much too diverse.