PDA

View Full Version : Dune Conversions

Jericho_Narcas
10 January 2002, 12:14 AM
Has anyone ever thought of converting Frank Herbert's Dune Series (or at least parts of it) to Star Wars the RPG statistics? One of the beauties of the D6 system is its flexibility (on a par with GURPS as far as I'm concerned). I'm working on a conversion now and just wondered if anyone had any ideas or thought it would be cool...

Jericho_Narcas
10 January 2002, 01:10 AM
To give you an idea of what I'm doing I'll paste a copy of my vision of a Fremen warrior. The crystal scimitar idea comes from Gallidinium's Fantastic Technology but I figure it'll make a good substitute for a crysknife.

Template Type: Dune Warrior

DEX 4D Brawling Parry 7D, Dodge 7D+1, Firearms 7D+1, Melee Combat 8D+1, Melee Parry 8D
KNO 2D+1 (S)Survival: Desert 6D+1
MEC 2D+1 (S)Beast Riding: Giant Sandworm 5D+2, Repulsorlift Operation 4D+2
PER 3D+2 Hide 6D, Search 6D, Sneak 6D+2
STR 3D+1 Brawling 6D+1, (S)Brawling: Martial Arts 7D+1
TEC 2D+1 First Aid 5D

char. pts. 5, force pts. 1, dark side pts. 0

Equipment: Desert Survival Suit (recycles the body's moisture -- +1D to desert survival rolls), Pistol (range: 3-7/25/50 4D damage), Crystal Scimitar (STR+2D plus 4D stun damage), Knife (STR+1D)

NOTES: These warriors are the uncontested masters of the planet Dune. Only they have little fear of the mighty sandworms, only they can live in the most inhospitable places of this desolate planet -- and they won't hesitate to slay those who stumble afoul of them simply for the water contained within their bodies. Their harsh living conditions combined with their fanatical religious traditions have produced some of the fiercest warriors the galaxy has ever known.

Add in a giant sandworm and these guys can take out a squad of AT-ATs... :D

GIANT SANDWORMS

Type: Desert Predator
DEX 2D
PER 1D (S)Search: rhythmic vibrations 3D
STR up to 4D (Capital Scale)
Special Abilities: Teeth (STR+1D damage), aversion to water (water is poisonous to sandworms)
Move: 21 (60 kmh)
Size: up to 400 meters in length
Orneriness: 4D
Scale: Creature to Capital

Sandworms can travel under the sand as quickly as on the surface, and are always attracted to rhythmic vibrations -- anyone travelling on the desert surface within about 50 km or so of a worm must make a Sneak check against the worm's Search total or the worm will come to devour them. Any rhythic vibration will attract a worm -- worms regularly attempt to attack Spice-mining operations as they transmit vibrations even further distances over the desert. Sandworms are also known to be attracted to shield-belts, so these are never used in the desert. The only thing sandworms won't go near is water -- water is poisonous to sandworms (but not to sand-plankton).

Kayle Skolaris
14 January 2002, 07:31 PM
This is a little something I cooked up several months ago and recently revived via the Bump of Thread Resurrection. Check this out: http://holonet.swrpgnetwork.com/showthread.php?threadid=3208

Jericho_Narcas
15 January 2002, 09:24 PM
Yeah, I checked it out -- nice work. It's a good conversion, but I'm of the opinion that a faithful conversion of the Holtzman-type shields won't work in my game. What I've done is simply make the personal shield belts give +1D protection vs. physical attacks. This is unfortunate, but I think it'll work better for balance reasons.

I've gotten a lot more work done though -- pretty much the whole setting. I'm still tweaking things around a bit, but I think I've got some pretty workable stuff going here.

Next up are the spaceships these guys use. I wasn't very inspired when it came to coming up with class-names, but these'll do for now. Let me know what you think...

GUILD HIGHLINER

Craft: JICW Guild Highliner Mark IV
Type: Guild Highliner
Scale: Death-Star
Length: 30,000 meters
Skill: Guildship Piloting
Crew: 300
Crew Skill: Guildship Piloting 7D
Passengers: 1,000
Cargo Capacity: 1 billion metric tons
Consumables: 3 years
Cost: not available for sale
Hyperdrive Multiplier: x4
Hyperdrive Backup: x20
Nav Computer: None (Navigators use Instinctive Astrogation)
Maneuverability: 0D
Space: 2
Hull: 2D+1
Shields: 1D
Sensors:
Passive: 40 / 1D
Scan: 70 / 2D
Search: 150 / 3D
Focus: 4 / 3D+2

NOTES: These gargantuan ships transport other spacecraft throughout the Imperium, making regular stops between worlds to pick up and drop off other ships. Despite the highliner's immense size the crew complement is quite small, as very little space is given over to crew and passenger accommodation -- almost all of the space aboard a highliner is reserved for ship berths and cargo. A highliner can carry about 3,000 House frigates plus another 1,500 or so smaller vessels in addition to raw cargo.

HOUSE FRIGATE

Craft: JICW Frigate Mark V
Type: Capital Combat Warship/House Frigate
Scale: Capital
Length: 250 meters
Skill: Archaic Starship Piloting: House Frigate
Crew: 325, gunners: 34; skeleton: 135 / +10
Crew Skill: Archaic Starship Piloting 5D, Capital Ship Gunnery 4D+2, Starship Gunnery 4D
Passengers: 200 troops
Cargo Capacity: 3,000 metric tons
Consumables: 1 year
Cost: not available for sale
Maneuverability: 1D
Space: 4
Atmosphere: 280; 800 kmh
Hull: 3D+2
Shields: 1D+2
Sensors:
Passive: 35 / 0D
Scan: 70 / 1D
Search: 140 / 2D
Focus: 3 / 3D
Weapons: 12 Turbolaser Batteries
Fire Arc: 4 front, 3 left, 3 right, 2 rear
Crew: 2
Skill: Capital Ship Gunnery
Fire Control: 1D
Space Range: 3-15 / 35/ 75
Atmosphere Range: 6-30 / 70 / 150 km
Damage: 4D
Weapons: 10 Laser Cannons
Fire Arc: 5 left, 5 right
Crew: 1
Skill: Starship Gunnery
Space Range: 1-3 / 12 / 25
Atmosphere Range: 100-300m / 1.2 km / 2.5 km
Damage: 3D

NOTES: The frigate is the largest class of ship that can land on the ground and still take back off, as well as the standard warship throughout the Imperium. Based on ancient but reliable designs they are quite expensive, but each Great House owns at least a token fleet of them. Some of the richest Houses have rather large fleets -- especially the Imperial House. Each frigate is capable of carrying up to 4 aerospace patrol fighters (or alternately aircars) -- true space-superiority starfighters are unknown within the Imperium.

AEROSPACE PATROL FIGHTERS

Craft: JICW LAP-Craft Mark II
Type: Aerospace Patrol Fighter
Scale: Starfighter
Length: 16 meters
Skill: Space Transports: LAP-Craft
Crew: 1, gunner: 1
Crew Skill: Space Transports 5D, Starship Gunnery 4D+2
Passengers: 3
Cargo Capacity: 300 kg
Consumables: 1 day
Cost: 50,000 credits -- sale strictly regulated
Maneuverability: 1D
Space: 5
Atmosphere: 295; 850 kmh
Hull: 3D
Sensors:
Passive: 10/0D
Scan: 15/1D
Search: 20/1D+1
Focus: 1/2D
Weapons: 2 Laser Cannons (Fire Linked)
Fire Arc: Turret
Crew: 1
Skill: Starship Gunnery
Space Range: 1-3/12/25
Atmosphere Range: 100-300 m / 1.2 km / 2.5 km
Damage: 5D

NOTES: These are the standard starfighters of the Imperium -- reasonably swift two-man vessels that pack a fairly heavy punch. While not true starfighters per-se, they get the job done.

Jericho_Narcas
20 January 2002, 02:07 PM
Ok, now we've come to some interesting stuff -- the spice. I had to wrangle with it for a while, because I wanted to make it invaluable without being too powerful -- a delicate balance indeed. I think I got it more or less worked out. I haven't set any prices on it yet -- I haven't gotten around to converting the solari, but we can assume it's incredibly expensive. I'm figuring from 1,000 to 10,000 credits per gram. This will quickly pauperize any addicts that happen to crop up... ;)

THE SPICE

The Spice is highly valuable in that if taken regularly by human beings it enhances the immune system and extends life (doubling or even trebling the normal human lifespan). It is also highly addictive -- if over 2 grams daily per 70 kg of body weight are ingested severe addiction will soon be the result. Withdrawal leads to insanity and within a short amount of time -- death. Blue-within-blue eyes are the most obvious sign of Spice-addiction.

The properties of conferring health and longevity alone make the Spice invaluable, but its true value is a bit more obscure. For Force-sensitive users it has additional properties -- a one gram dosage confers a bonus of +1D to all Force skills for an hour, with an additional hour's duration plus a pip to each Force skill for each extra gram taken. Some users have reported the temporary (and often spontaneous) ability to use the Farseeing Force power (page 56 of The Thrawn Trilogy Sourcebook) while under the influence of particularly heavy dosages (over 5 grams).

This isn't as easy as it all sounds because taking that much Spice at once is dangerous, and fatal overdoses can happen. For a dosage of one gram the user must make a Very Easy Stamina check. Increase the difficulty by one level for each additional gram in the dosage. If the user fails this roll he takes damage in dice equal to the number of grams he took -- for instance if someone takes 5 grams of Spice and fails the very difficult stamina check he takes 5D damage.

Gimme some feedback guys -- let me know what ya think. Thanks. :)

Bas
24 January 2002, 06:22 PM
I haevn't read all the Dune books, so I don't know about the starships... I got the sense from the first book, though, that almost no combat is done in space.

The only thing I disagree with is the Crysknives. The roadian cryoknives only similarity is in their name- crysknives are just knives made of really, really tough material; like, vibro blade quality damage, massive body strength.

Kayle Skolaris
24 January 2002, 06:32 PM
Space combat does happen in Dune, it just happens "off camera". The root cause of the Atreides/Harkonnen feud was Harkonnen cowardice during a space battle centuries before the events of the book Dune.

Jericho_Narcas
26 January 2002, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by Bas
I haevn't read all the Dune books, so I don't know about the starships... I got the sense from the first book, though, that almost no combat is done in space.

Kayle pretty much explained that -- it does happen, just not "on camera" very often. There is just a touch of it in the prequels though -- I might have to add multiphase projectiles to the weapons list. Based on their description it's my guess they act sort of like concussion missiles.

If you want to know more about space combat in the Dune universe, you'll probably want to check out the apocryphal Dune Encyclopedia -- it contains a lot of background information, most of which is useful as far as the first four books go. The prequels kinda throw much of that info to the wind, but the section on space combat is probably still valid.

By the time of the last two books the nature of space travel within the Dune universe has radically altered. The Spacing Guild no longer holds a monopoly because the Ixians have finally created the functional equivalent of a navcomputer. They have invisible no-ships too -- pretty cool stuff, but nothing I really want to convert right away, if at all.

The only thing I disagree with is the Crysknives. The roadian cryoknives only similarity is in their name- crysknives are just knives made of really, really tough material; like, vibro blade quality damage, massive body strength.

Well you're right that as a weapon a Crysknife is basically just another knife, which is exactly why I used something else in the Star Wars universe as a substitute -- I wanted to make them a little more interesting. The weapon it's based on is the Togorian Scimitar by the way -- not the Rodian cryo-knife (I'm not a big fan of freon-based weaponry). ;)

The Togorian Scimitar is actually made of a crystalline substance which has a latticed structure that makes an excellent conductor of electricity or somesuch. The Crysknife is made from the crystal tooth of a giant sandworm, and I figured these weapons were a close enough match to make a cool substitute -- if the Togorians can make them, I figured my Fremen can too. Hope that clears up my reason for choosing it, and thank you for your comments -- I appreciate any feedback I can get.

Jericho_Narcas
26 January 2002, 06:58 PM
Okay -- here are some more things I've done. These are the Force-users in the Dune universe (you didn't think just anybody could be a Mentat did ya?). They might still need a little work. For instance I'm trying to incorporate Ancestral Memory as a limited form of Farseeing, and Mentat projection could be considered a similar ability in reverse, but I digress...

Anyway -- I hope y'all like 'em, and let me know what you think...
:)

Template Type: Reverend Mother of the Sisterhood

DEX 3D+1 Brawling Parry 7D+1, Dodge 7D+1, Melee Combat 6D+1, Melee Parry 6D+1
KNO 3D+1 Cultures 5D+1, Languages 5D+1, Intimidation 5D+1, Willpower 5D+1
MEC 2D Ground Vehicle Operation 4D, Repulsorlift Operation 4D
PER 4D Hide 6D, Investigation 5D, Persuasion 6D, Search 6D, Sneak 6D
STR 3D+1 Brawling 7D+1, (S)Brawling: Weirding Way 8D+1
TEC 2D First Aid 5D, (A)Medicine 1D

char pts. 5, force pts: 2, dark side pts. 0(?)

Control: 8D Sense: 7D Alter: 6D

Control Powers: Accelerate Healing, Control Pain, Detoxify Poison, Enhance Attribute, Hibernation Trance, Remain Conscious, Resist Stun, Short-Term Memory Enhancement
Sense Powers: Combat Sense, Danger Sense, Life Detection, Magnify Senses
Alter Powers: Injure/Kill
Control and Sense Powers: Ancestral Memory (acts as a limited form of the Farseeing Force power)
Sense and Alter Powers: Dim Other's Senses
Control, Sense, and Alter Powers: Affect Mind

Equipment: Robes

NOTES: The Sisterhood is a powerful order within the society of the Imperium. These elite sisters are the product of many years of training. Reverend Mothers are highly educated in a wide variety of subjects -- including combat.

Along with more conventional forms of combat, the Sisterhood trains its adepts in their special style of martial arts -- the Weirding Way. In game terms the Weirding Way is treated just like Teras Kasi Martial Arts in that when one attacks the dice are split between attack dice and damage bonus dice, and that one can only perform attacks when using this specialization and no other actions -- including parries or dodges.

Template Type: Navigator for the Spacing Guild

DEX 1D
KNO 3D+1 Business 5D+1, Languages 4D+1, Planetary Systems 5D+1, Value 5D+1
MEC 4D Guildship Piloting 7D
PER 3D+1 Bargain 5D+1
STR 3D Stamina 6D
TEC 3D+1

char pts. 5, force pts. 2, dark side pts. 0(?)

Control: 8D Sense: 8D

Control Powers: Hibernation Trance, Emptiness
Sense Powers: Magnify Senses, Instinctive Astrogation
Control and Sense Powers: Farseeing

Equipment: Anti-Grav Chamber (move: 5, Body Strength: 5D, cover: full) with specialized Enviro-filter.

NOTES: The Spacing Guild has a monopoly on space travel within the Imperium. These Navigators play a critical role in the Spacing Guild's primary business -- piloting the massive Guildships from system to system within the cluster. Due to extreme mutations caused (at least in part) by their lifetime spent in space they use mobile anti-grav tanks to carry them around when gravity-bound.

Template Type: Mentat Master of Assassins

DEX 3D Brawling Parry 5D+2, Dodge 6D+1, Firearms 6D+1, Melee Combat 6D+2, Melee Parry 6D+2
KNO 4D Cultures 5D, (S)Intimidation: Interrogation 6D+1, Languages 5D
MEC 2D Ground Vehicle Operation 4D, Repulsorlift Operation 4D
PER 4D Command 6D, Forgery 5D+1, Hide 5D+1, Investigation 6D+1, Search 6D, Sneak 5D+1
STR 3D Brawling 5D+2, (S)Brawling: Martial Arts 6D+2
TEC 2D First Aid 4D, Security 6D+1

Control: 5D Sense: 5D

Control Powers: Hibernation Trance, Emptiness, Short-Term Memory Enhancement
Sense Powers: Magnify Senses
Control and Sense Powers: Mentat Projection (acts as a limited form of the Farseeing Force power)

Equipment: House Uniform, Shield-belt (+1D vs. physical attacks when activated), Pistol (range: 3-7/25/50, 4D damage), Sword (STR+2D), Knife (STR+1D)

NOTES: The Order of the Mentats trains the keenest minds of the Imperium to be human computers. In the Feudal society of the Imperium the best of these Mentats are also trained in the ways of combat, and many a Mentat has entered service to a Great House for the purposes of intelligence and espionage -- capable of deducing enemy plans from scant information as well as constructing elaborate plans of their own these gifted individuals have proven themselves invaluable to leaders throughout the Imperium.

Template Type: Nomad Sayyadina

DEX 3D+2 Brawling Parry 7D, Dodge 7D, Firearms 7D, Melee Combat 8D, Melee Parry 8D
KNO 2D+1 Cultures 3D+1, Languages 3D+1, (S)Survival: Desert 6D+1
MEC 2D+1 (S)Beast Riding: Giant Sandworm 5D+1, Repulsorlift Operation 4D+1
PER 4D Hide 6D+1, Search 6D+1, Sneak 7D
STR 3D+1 Brawling 6D+1, (S)Brawling: Martial Arts 7D
TEC 2D+1 First Aid 5D+1

Control: 8D

Control Powers: Control Pain, Detoxify Poison, Emptiness, Hibernation Trance, Resist Stun

Equipment: Desert Survival Suit (recycles the body's moisture -- +1D to desert survival rolls), Pistol (range: 3-7/25/50, 4D damage), Crystal Scimitar (STR+2D plus 4D stun damage), Knife (STR+1D)

NOTES: These mysterious women are the nomads' answer to Reverend Mothers. In fact once a Sayyadina has converted the Water of Life she is considered a Reverend Mother to her tribe and continues the training of the other Sayyadinas. While they don't possess all the powers of a Reverend Mother of the Sisterhood, anyone who meets a Sayyadina in combat isn't likely to live long enough to appreciate that fact.

Kayle Skolaris
27 January 2002, 01:11 PM
All of those templates should have a DSP or three. Dune is a much more violent and pragmatically deadly universe than Star Wars. The Emperor's vaunted Sardaukar terror troops start out as some of the worst criminals in the universe. They're dropped onto a hellhole of a world known as Salusa Secundus and fight a daily struggle for survival. Those who do survive are then indoctrinated into near-suicidal loyalty to the Emperor by means of a brain-washing program that would make the worst horrors of the Spanish Inquisition seem like a Sunday picnic. The Bene Gesserit train their operatives to fight, kill, and murder without question. Lady Jessica was a nearly unheard-of exception to the rule of complete loyalty. Similarly, Mentat Assassins are, well... Assassins! You don't do that kind of work and not pick up some DSPs. As for Fremen, when the Emperor finally did land troops on Arrakis in the book Dune, elderly and children were fighting Sardaukar... And WINNING! Neither of the movies (David Lynch's version or the Sci-Fi channel's mini-series) made this very clear, but every Fremen is just as deadly as your average Army Ranger and their REAL warriors, such as the Fedaykin Death Commandoes, make Noghri Death Commandoes look like drunken blind Gamorreans by comparison.

Jericho_Narcas
27 January 2002, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by Kayle Skolaris
All of those templates should have a DSP or three.

I agree -- if I were to make any NPCs based on those templates they would most assuredly have some Dark Side Points. I'll consider revising them all to start out with perhaps one or two DSPs. Good observation.

Dune is a much more violent and pragmatically deadly universe than Star Wars. The Emperor's vaunted Sardaukar terror troops start out as some of the worst criminals in the universe. They're dropped onto a hellhole of a world known as Salusa Secundus and fight a daily struggle for survival. Those who do survive are then indoctrinated into near-suicidal loyalty to the Emperor by means of a brain-washing program that would make the worst horrors of the Spanish Inquisition seem like a Sunday picnic.

I haven't posted these guys yet -- they're just under the Fremen in ferocity, and quite a bit better than regular troopers. The Atreides troops are pretty close though...

The Bene Gesserit train their operatives to fight, kill, and murder without question. Lady Jessica was a nearly unheard-of exception to the rule of complete loyalty.

True enough. Ruthless ain't the word for that organization, but oddly enough they're the good guys in the last two books...

Similarly, Mentat Assassins are, well... Assassins! You don't do that kind of work and not pick up some DSPs.

I agree -- look at Piter De Vries... not only a bunch of DSPs, but a spice-addiction as well as an assortment of unsavory habits. Then again he was a twisted Mentat. Somebody like Thufir Hawat I believe would keep the DSPs to a minimum though -- even a Jedi can kill when it's necessary, and I view Master of Assassins more of a title than anything else. It's an apt title, but you have to remember that assassination is one of the rules of warfare under the Great Convention -- it keeps wholesale destruction to a minimum.

As for Fremen, when the Emperor finally did land troops on Arrakis in the book Dune, elderly and children were fighting Sardaukar... And WINNING!

I know. :D

Neither of the movies (David Lynch's version or the Sci-Fi channel's mini-series) made this very clear, but every Fremen is just as deadly as your average Army Ranger and their REAL warriors, such as the Fedaykin Death Commandoes, make Noghri Death Commandoes look like drunken blind Gamorreans by comparison.

Yep -- all the Fedaykin were trained in the Weirding Way. Take the best combat skills of the Bene Gesserit and the Fremen combined and you've got one tough puppy... ;)

Jericho_Narcas
27 January 2002, 04:15 PM
Okay -- here are the trooper types. The Renegade House is obviously House Atreides. It should also be noted that these are simply the minimums -- a "standard" if you will. Some of the commanders' skills will be a bit higher. Lemme know what you think.

I'll include the standard Fremen again for comparison so you won't have to scroll up to the top of the page to check them out.

Template type: Imperial House Trooper

DEX 4D Brawling Parry 6D+2, Dodge 7D, Firearms 7D, Melee Combat 7D+2, Melee Parry 7D+1
KNO 2D+1 Survival 5D
MEC 2D+1 Ground Vehicle Operation 4D+1, Repulsorlift Operation 4D+2
PER 3D+1 Search 5D+1, Sneak 5D
STR 3D+2 Brawling 6D, (S)Brawling: Martial Arts 7D
TEC 2D+1 First Aid 4D+1

Equipment: Imperial Uniform, Shield-belt (+1D vs. physical attacks when activated), Pistol (range: 3-7/25/50, 4D damage), Sword (STR+2D), Knife (STR+1D)

NOTES: The troopers of the Imperial House are the most feared killers throughout the Imperium. The Imperial House has never been defeated in battle and its troopers carry a prestige unknown amongst the other Great Houses. These men are quite literally without fear and strike terror into the hearts of their enemies.

Template type: Typical Great House Troopers

DEX 3D+1 Brawling Parry 5D+1, Dodge 5D+2, Firearms 5D+2, Melee Combat 6D+1, Melee Parry 6D
KNO 2D+1 Survival 4D+1
MEC 2D+1 Ground Vehicle Operation 4D, Repulsorlift Operation 4D+1
PER 3D+1 Search 4D+2, Sneak 4D+1
STR 3D+1 Brawling 5D, (S)Brawling: Martial Arts 6D
TEC 2D+1 First Aid 4D

char. pts. 3, force pts. 0, dark side points. 0

Equipment: House Uniform, Shield-belt (+1D vs. physical attacks when activated), Pistol (range: 3-7/25/50, 4D damage), Sword (STR+2D), Knife (STR+1D)

NOTES: The typical Great House trains fine soldiers indeed. While not at the level of Imperial House troops, these troopers tend to be more skilled at what they do than those of star systems outside the Imperium (and consequently outside of its sphere of influence) -- fortunately they are generally only used against other Great Houses. No Great House has ever been known to beat the Imperial House in combat, although in theory they could if they all combined their power against the Imperial Seat.

Template type: Renegade House Trooper

DEX 3D+2 Brawling Parry 6D+1, Dodge 6D+2, Firearms 6D+2, Melee Combat 7D+1, Melee Parry 7D
KNO 2D+1 Survival 5D+1
MEC 2D+1 Ground Vehicle Operation 4D+1, Repulsorlift Operation 5D
PER 3D+2 Search 5D, Sneak 5D+1
STR 3D+2 Brawling 6D, (S)Brawling: Martial Arts 7D
TEC 2D+1 First Aid 4D+1

char. pts. 5, force pts. 1, dark side points. 0

NOTES: The reason this Great House is considered renegade is because its Duke has trained his soldiers to within a hairs-breadth of the abilities of the Emperor's own troops. This House must deal with treachery from other Great Houses as well as the Imperial House because many House leaders (including the Emperor himself) are jealous of the honorable Duke's popularity among his people and among the other Great Houses. These troopers are to the man incredibly loyal to their Duke and would willingly die for him if need be.

Template Type: Dune Warrior

DEX 4D Brawling Parry 7D, Dodge 7D+1, Firearms 7D+1, Melee Combat 8D+1, Melee Parry 8D
KNO 2D+1 (S)Survival: Desert 6D+1
MEC 2D+1 (S)Beast Riding: Giant Sandworm 5D+2, Repulsorlift Operation 4D+2
PER 3D+2 Hide 6D, Search 6D, Sneak 6D+2
STR 3D+1 Brawling 6D+1, (S)Brawling: Martial Arts 7D+1
TEC 2D+1 First Aid 5D

Equipment: Desert Survival Suit (recycles the body's moisture -- +1D to desert survival rolls), Pistol (range: 3-7/25/50, 4D damage), Crystal Scimitar (STR+2D plus 4D stun damage), Knife (STR+1D)

NOTES: These warriors are the uncontested masters of the planet Dune. Only they have little fear of the mighty sandworms, only they can live in the most inhospitable places of this desolate planet -- and they won't hesitate to slay those who stumble afoul of them simply for the water contained within their bodies. Their harsh living conditions combined with their fanatical religious traditions have produced some of the fiercest warriors the galaxy has ever known.

Kayle Skolaris
27 January 2002, 04:18 PM
It's worth noting that not all Mentats are assassins, it's just that both Thufir and Piter were both employed in that manner. And in Thufir's case, his title was something of a misnomer. While he was fully capable of planning assassinations, and in his younger days could likely have carried them out personally (even with the life-enhancing effects of the Spice, Thufir was OLD... 200+), by the time we meet him in the books his job description is as a kind of counterintelligence operative. He was the head of the House Atreides equivalent of the CIA and charged with rooting out and foiling any assassination attempts against the Duke and his family.

Kayle Skolaris
27 January 2002, 05:42 PM
I must say, I STRONGLY disagree with a shield-belt only providing +1D protection. Those things make a wearer effectively immune to assaults that aren't of a sufficiently low speed to penetrate. Making them no more effective than blast vests means players are going to still be using blasters on each other and if they're using blasters, the "feel" of Dune combat is completely lost. Here's what I suggest...

Shields raise the target number to hit a shielded character to 60. That is, if you're rolling to hit someone with a shield, you must roll a 60 or better or the attack is simply deflected off the shield. Dodging IS possible while Shielded, but all Dodge rolls are halved because the Shield extends several inches from the body, making one a larger target, and they also inhibit the flow of air to the wearer making the Shielded fighter tire faster. Dodge roll totals are added to the base to-hit difficulty of 60. The only exceptions to the above are people with true laser weapons and people with the Shield Fighting advanced skill described below and attacks with weapons of greater-than-character scale. The effects of attacking with these specific forms of attack are as follows...

True Lasers True laser weapons are extremely rare in Star Wars and only marginally more common in Dune. Most of the Star Wars galaxy has invested in perfecting the plasma/particle weapon known as the Blaster due to its reliability, ease of maintenance, and simplicity. True lasers, on the other hand, are power-intensive, relatively fragile, and prone to being rendered ineffective in a smoke or fog filled environment. The inhabitants of the Dune universe have given up laser weapons for a much more potentially devastating reason: laser-shield interactional effects. While Star Wars has chosen to pursue body armor technologies, as exemplified by Storm Troopers and other historical armed forces such as the Thyrsus Sunguard, Dune has developed the Holtzmann Shield Generator. The Shield Generator makes a wearer almost totally immune to all forms of man-portable weaponry and many greater-than-man-portable weapons. Only slow-moving objects may penetrate them, which heralded the return of melee combat as the main battlefield combat technique. True lasers are one of the few fast-moving attack forms that are not merely shrugged off by a Shield. Instead, through processes still poorly understood millennia after the development of the first Shields, a laser striking a shield causes a feedback loop to occur along the beam that causes a small thermonuclear explosion at both ends of the beam. This explosion will deal damage equal to the damage dice of the laser in Capital Scale to a radius equal to the number of dice rolled in kilometers. I.E., a heavy sniper laser inflicting 7D+2 damage and being fired from a distance of 1.5 kilometers away will cause two explosions, one at the site of the sniper and the other at the site of the Shielded target, each inflicting 7D+2 Capital Scale damage, each to a radius of 7.6 (+2 pips being 2/3rds of a die) kilometers.

Shield Fighting (A) This is an advanced Dexterity skill that is unique in that it has no "base skill". It is bought and advanced as a normal advanced skill, starting out at 1D and being advanced for double character point costs, but having this skill does not add to any other weapon skills. With this skill, a fighter can engage a Shielded opponent with much greater ease than someone without this skill. All rolls to attack a Shielded opponent are at normal chances (I.E., the target number is not automatically 60) when the attacker has this skill. Since this skill has no "base skill" starting characters may put twice the normal limit of 2D into this skill when first created so that they may start with as much as 4D in the Shield Fighting (A) skill. This is important because an unskilled fighter attacking someone with an active shield will have to roll his base Dexterity score and then HALVE the total to find his to-hit roll. It is important to note that most characters from Dune will have this skill and will NOT have normal Brawling, Brawling Parry, Melee Combat, or Melee Parry skills. Indeed, use of those skills without penalty will be impossible until a 20 character point "Dual Training" fee is paid. These 20 points will symbolize the extra time and effort spent to learn how to use hand-to-hand and melee weapon fighting techniques without the split-second hesitation learned by Shield Fighters to allow them to slow their attacks enough to penetrate a shield. Shield Fighters who have not paid for this ability must hit a difficulty number 10 points higher than a conventionally trained fighter to hit an opponent without a shield.

Star Wars characters will have to find someone who already has this skill to teach them how to use it. Unlike most advanced skills, since this one has no "base", Shield Fighting (A) does NOT add to any standard skill rolls (whereas someone with the Medicine (A) skill could add his skill dice from that skill to all First Aid rolls). On the plus side, Star Wars characters, or any other characters that did not learn the Shield Fighting skill before investing effort in learning conventional fighting styles, do not have to pay the 20 points for "Dual Training" status. Unfortunately, since Shield Fighting (A) starts out at 1D and character point costs to advance the skill are doubled like all other advanced skills, learning to fight a Shielded opponent will be an excrutiatingly slow, time-consuming, and character point intensive process. It is important to note that a Jedi or any other lightsabre-wielding Force User with the Lightsabre Combat power will be able to use the Lightsabre Combat power in conjunction with Shielding Fighting (A) as if it were their Lightsabre skill, thus making them much better able to deal with Shielded opponents despite having no better "real" training than their non-force using companions. This alone can be of immense help to a party of characters who are not yet skilled enough to engage Shielded opponents with a reasonable chance of success.

Higher Scale Weapons This final method of dealing with Shielded opponents is simple and concise. For every scale of the weapon above the scale of the Shielded target, reduce the target number to hit by 20 points. Scale modifiers to hit still apply, but the increased power of higher scale weapons makes it much easier for them to punch through a Shield. Note that Death Star Scale weapons ignore the defensive value of Shields, that is, they always roll against normal to-hit target numbers. No Holtzmann-style Shield ever built is strong enough to significantly impede the power of a Death Star scale weapon.

FINAL NOTES The above makes sense to me, but it may be completely unworkable. PLEASE playtest it before using it.

Jericho_Narcas
27 January 2002, 08:51 PM
I'll be the first to admit the shield-belt conversions I've done are overly simplistic and not very close to the way they worked in Dune. I like your ideas, but rather than making someone need a 60 to hit someone else wearing a shield in combat (or making them get a rarely-used shield-fighting skill), I'd simply make the difficulty a couple levels higher than it would normally be, in addition to the +1D protection. Say... very difficult instead of moderate to hit with a sword. Perhaps immunity to ranged weapons, unless it's a specialized device (such as a net-thrower). This is simpler for me, and much less paperwork too. ;)

It's my opinion that making them totally realistic as per Dune and mixing it in with Star Wars would have either ridiculous or disastrous results, or at best it would just be an added complication. Given the choice, I'd rather keep it simple than make an exact conversion as long as keeping it simple plays well. Game balance is a serious concen of mine also -- I'd rather err on the side of caution.

I've yet to do a write up on any of the major technology of Dune (glowglobes, axolotl tanks, shields, etc.) so I'll keep your suggestions in mind when I get to working on them. Really all I've done for the shields so far is included them as standard equipment for most troopers -- I had to give them some kind of working stats, but I can always revise them later.

Thanks again for your input Kayle -- I appreciate all the comments I can get.

Jericho_Narcas
27 January 2002, 10:22 PM
How about this Kayle?

Shield belt: +5D vs. ranged attacks (physical and energy), +1D vs. melee attacks, +10 to an attacker's difficulty to hit in melee combat.

This is pretty simple (I'm a big fan of the KISS principle myself), and not too unbalancing. It merely makes lasers rather ineffective instead of spectacularly dangerous to all concerned (which I'm wishing to avoid). It also makes it more sensible to engage a shielded opponent in melee, since only specialized ranged weapons (such as netcasters) would be particularly effective against them.

What do you think? This is really my first serious crack at these things after hearing your suggestions...

Kayle Skolaris
27 January 2002, 10:28 PM
Looks like it could work. Playtest it and see what happens.

Jericho_Narcas
28 January 2002, 01:39 AM
Thanks Kayle -- your input has been very helpful. I believe I'm going to limit the "shields up" time to a total of 20 minutes before requiring a recharge -- most of the serious fighting is probably over by then, and it's a pretty tough shield so I need a limiting factor to balance it out in game terms. That still comes to 240 combat rounds of shield time, and it can be switched off when not in use so as to ration out that time.

It seems to fit in pretty well with the skill levels I've assigned to the troops too -- that is, a Sardauker at 7D+2 melee combat will still (on an average roll) hit someone thru a shield with his sword. A two-handed knife style might also be a pretty effective form to use while shield-fighting, and would accurately reflect the books in that regard. :)

Jericho_Narcas
30 January 2002, 02:40 PM
Okay -- here's something else I've been working on. It's been a bit tricky, but I think I have it about where I want it. This is the Water of Life, or at least what it turns into after it's been converted. Let me know what you think.

WATER OF LIFE (SPICE ESSENCE)

The vomitous exhalation of a sandworm drowned in water. It is EXTREMELY toxic -- anyone drinking it will have mad delusions (or visions perhaps) until they die an agonizing death a short time later. On the other hand -- it does have its uses...

The Sisterhood and the Nomad Sayyadinas use it to test candidates for Reverend Mother status. If the candidate successfully detoxifies the poison (a 55 difficulty roll) they become a Reverend Mother -- if they fail to detoxify the poison they die. When a candidate converts the Water of Life, they don't just detoxify the poison within their bodies -- they actually catalyze the Water of Life to become non-poisonous after spitting the converted poison back into the container (which is why the roll is so difficult -- a force point is often spent in the effort).

The result is the Spice Essence. Anyone who takes the Spice Essence experiences the effects of a 6 gram dosage of Spice without the possibility of overdosing, and if force sensitive the bonus to Force skills applies even to Force skills they don't have. Experiences of Receptive Telepathy and Farseeing are common under the influence of Spice Essence (even in those that aren't Force-sensitive) -- the Dune Nomads use it in their rituals for just this purpose. Spice Essence is every bit as addictive as the Spice itself, and should be used with caution -- if used twice in one month Spice-addiction will surely be the result.

It is said that when a Reverend Mother or a Sayyadina successfully converts the Water of Life for the first time she awakens ancestral memories (a limited form of Farseeing). Whether this confers the Sense skill upon Sayyadinas, or if it only works during their rituals is unclear.

Jericho_Narcas
30 January 2002, 03:08 PM
This is the final installment for now -- I haven't really got anything else except the backstory I'm using to fit it into my campaign. This isn't exactly must-have information, but I thought I'd include it for the sake of completeness.

The planet known locally and referred to here as Dune is a harsh, desolate wasteland of a planet -- the entire world is a desert. Despite this fact it harbors life. Quite a few plants and animals adapted to desert survival have been transplanted successfully to this planet and have even managed to work out an ecosystem of sorts. The only native lifeforms to the planet are the Giant Sandworms (and their offspring, the so-called Sand Plankton).

DUNE

Type: Terrestrial
Terrain: Desert
Temperature: Hot
Gravity: Standard (0.9)
Atmosphere: Type I (Breathable)
Hydrosphere: Arid
Length of Day: variable but 22.4 hours on average
Length of Year: variable but 445 days on average
Sapient Species: Human
Starport: Limited Services
Planet Function: Spice Mining
Government: Fiefdom
Population: appr. 1 billion
Tech Level: Industrial
Major Exports: Spice
Major Imports: High tech, foodstuffs (especially water)

THE PEOPLE

The people of Dune eke out a harsh existence on their unforgiving planet. Many people live in a few settled cities near the rocky regions where the worms don't go. The rest of the planet belongs to the fierce desert nomads. A census of the nomads has never been taken, but reports from Guild scouts hint at vast numbers...

SPICE MINING

The most remarkable thing about Dune is the fact that it's the only place in the universe the Spice is found. The Spice is found in the open desert and is gathered by roving factories that scoop up sand, extract spice, and expel the sand. Worms always come to attack these factories so they are always covered by a few aircars and a carry-all -- a heavy repulsorlift vehicle that will pick up the factory and carry it away from danger.

Bas
30 January 2002, 06:10 PM
That seems to be in line with the books, without wavering from the SW universe much... I presume you are indeed attempting an intigration, and not just a D6 dune system?

Next step, in my mind, would be the spice factories and/or the carryalls that transport them. The factories would be slow but tough, and not much else to 'em, and the carryalls... meh. They carry all. :rolleyes:

Kayle Skolaris
30 January 2002, 06:20 PM
It's worth noting that the pre-worm form of the Sandworm is called "sand trout", not "sand plankton". They're also called "little makers" by the Fremen.

Bas
30 January 2002, 07:20 PM
The "water of life" that the little makers give up when exposed to water should have some intersting game effects. First of all, it must be determined whether or not it's ingestion is limited to women by custom or by necesity- i.e, do only women take it because that's how it's always been done, or are they the only ones that can survive it?

That determined, some sort of roll would seem in order to survive and purify said water... but the question is, would it be some force power (control poison, perhaps), or something more like willpower? Once ingested, one is officially a "reverend mother", if I remember correctly... perhaps some bonus to force skills once you nuetrlize it?

Jericho_Narcas
30 January 2002, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by Kayle Skolaris
It's worth noting that the pre-worm form of the Sandworm is called "sand trout", not "sand plankton". They're also called "little makers" by the Fremen.

You're right about that. I can't remember where I got the name sand-plankton from. I could have sworn one of the novels referred to the sandtrout as such, or maybe I was just tired when I did the write-up... ;)

Jericho_Narcas
30 January 2002, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by Bas
The "water of life" that the little makers give up when exposed to water should have some intersting game effects. First of all, it must be determined whether or not it's ingestion is limited to women by custom or by necesity- i.e, do only women take it because that's how it's always been done, or are they the only ones that can survive it?

Well, the Sisterhood doesn't train men to use force skills, and neither do the Sayyadinas, so pretty much only women ever get the chance. As far as I'm concerned anyone who makes the difficulty roll can convert the water of life -- if they want to risk their life trying it.

It should be noted that neither the Order of Mentats nor the Spacing Guild teaches the power Detoxify Poison to its students, as the Sisterhood and the Sayyadinas do. Mentats are taught the Control power of Concentration however, which I failed to list in the writeup that I posted earlier.

That determined, some sort of roll would seem in order to survive and purify said water...

They have to make a Control roll of 55 using the Detoxify Poison force power -- not an easy task to say the least.

but the question is, would it be some force power (control poison, perhaps), or something more like willpower? Once ingested, one is officially a "reverend mother", if I remember correctly... perhaps some bonus to force skills once you nuetrlize it?

They awaken Ancestral Memory -- which in game terms is a bit like the Farseeing power but limited to the past and may only reveal information which the character's ancestors might have possessed.

To answer an earlier question of yours... yes, I intend to incorporate this into my current Star Wars campaign -- it's not a standalone Dune game. If I do the stats for the spice-miners and carryalls I'll post them here as soon as I'm done. Thanks again for your comments.

Jericho_Narcas
30 January 2002, 10:10 PM
In case anyone wants to see the write-up I have for integrating this stuff within my campaign -- here it is. I've changed a name or two, but basically tried to keep things as close to the original as possible. It's worth noting that these guys know nothing about the rest of the galaxy, and the greater galaxy knows nothing of them. This society is completely human -- they haven't come into contact with any intelligent alien species.

Many millenia ago a wealthy system of humans colonized several planets in an area of the galaxy known as wild space. Through some misfortune the colonies ended up being forgotten, yet due to the advanced technology they brought with them these humans had been able to flourish in their new homes. Cut off from and unknown to the rest of the galaxy, they intended to create their own utopian society.

Advanced technology has existed and been used for many thousands of years in the galaxy, and these people were no exception. They were particularly adept at computer and droid technologies and developed many innovations along these lines. They depended heavily on technology -- some say too heavily. Eventually these humans became enslaved by the very thinking machines they had created. These were the dark-times...

Until the Jihad. Enfuriated at the level of control in their lives, a religious sect led a popular revolt against the machines -- and overthrew them on their own planet. Freed from droid oppression they set off on what they saw as a holy mission -- to free humans from the yoke of machine bondage. The Jihad raged across the colonies, gaining momentum as it went along. At the end of the Jihad every droid and virtually every computer within the colonies had been destroyed. This was considered a minor setback in the overall scheme of things, and advanced computer and robotic technology carried a heavy stigma for generations upon generations to follow...

Without advanced computers, particularly nav computers, space travel all but ground to a halt. Without the mysterious ability of certain Force-sensitive people to perform instinctive astrogation it would have come to a complete stop -- but it didn't. During what is now called the Reconstruction Period computer technology was shunned, but the development of human potential was advanced to an amazing level. Out of this period several schools of thought emerged. One of them, and the most important in regards to space travel was the Spacing Guild -- using Force-sensitive navigators the Spacing Guild quickly developed a monopoly on interstellar travel within the colonies.

Another order that emerged during this time was the Sisterhood. These mysterious women dedicated themselves to the advancement of the human race, and trained themselves in a variety of esoteric and mysterious arts. The most advanced of these sisters (known as Reverend Mothers) are thought to have complete control over every nerve and muscle in their bodies -- and can kill a man with a single blow, although they rarely pursue the path of violence when persuasion can be a much more effective tool.

Yet another school to develop during the Reconstruction was that of the Mentats -- human computers whose powers of mental information storage and analysis were staggering to say the least. Their services were very useful with the absence of computers in this society, and the school achieved great wealth and stature training such people as were qualified to become mentats.

Various other groups, such as the flesh-peddling Genetex were also establishd during this time. Although none rivaled the power and prestige of the Guild, the Sisterhood, or the Mentats, the Genetex at least rivaled some of the Great Houses (described below) in power. However, in spite of the great need for their services within the colonies they were generally despised -- partly due to the distasteful nature of their business, partly due to their adherence to certain types of technology, and in truth cultivated to a large degree by their own desire to keep outsiders off of their planet...

Another important aspect of this society was of course its form of government. Unlike the galaxy at large (which was a Republic) the colonies developed a Feudal society after the Jihad. As there were several colony worlds, several Great Houses emerged during the Reconstruction Period. The most powerful of these Houses declared itself to be the Imperial Seat -- after a short but bloody campaign against the Imperial House the leaders of the other Great Houses ended up conceding this point and swore allegiance to the Emperor.

A company was established to control trade between the Great Houses and formed the basis for the economy of the Imperium. The Company negotiated contracts with the Spacing Guild for trade as well as exploration (and oddly enough interstellar banking) and the New Empire soon began to grow within its cluster of stars. As new planets were colonized other Great Houses arose and The Company as well as the Spacing Guild became more and more powerful. Likewise the Imperial Seat (holding the largest percentage of interest in The Company) grew in power and the government came to rest on this political tripod -- the Imperial House, The Company, and the Spacing Guild. Individually the Great Houses making up The Company had immense power -- especially the older Houses, but only combined could they match the might and resources that the Emperor could marshall. With their monopoly on interstellar travel and banking the Spacing Guild also had little to fear, as no House dared to incur the Guild's wrath, lest they be cut completely out of the economy of the Imperium.

The only thing really left to be mentioned is the Spice. Since its discovery it has become the most valuable substance in the entire Cluster and indeed, perhaps the whole galaxy -- the economy of the Imperium has come to revolve around it completely. It has quite a few unique properties, chief among them being an enhanced immune system to the ingestor, severe retardation of the aging process, and for those who are Force-sensitive a higher level of attunement to the Force. It is also highly addictive, and withdrawal can result in death within a matter of days. The Spice can only be found on one planet in the entire galaxy -- a harsh desolate planet that is a desert in its entirety, and over whose surface roams the mighty sandworm (some of which get up to 400 meters in length).

The locals call this planet Dune...

ALFRED_THE_EWOK
31 January 2002, 09:40 PM
Now wouldn't it be interesting to see what would happen if, say, the Imperials, maybe, or the Vong, invaded this planet.