PDA

View Full Version : What about combining SW and D&D?

FlipDog 2000
10 January 2002, 01:16 PM
In past gaming Exp. the group I play with has travelled to the D&D world as a short adventure side trip. I have even gone as far as to create a Elven Jedi Knight. So what all do you think about conversions and others things with combining the two worlds?

VixenofVenus
10 January 2002, 01:31 PM
There are many differences between the two systems that make them very hard to integrate. The three big ones are the VP/WP & HP and Attacks of Opportunity, and Magic/Force.

It all really depends which system you like better. If you like SW better, then you'll need to make sure that all the stats generated for D&D match up . . . or vice-versa.

Some creatures and species don't easily transfer from one universe to the other because of magic and force, so you'll have to decide which one you want to be more prevalent.

Dark Knight
10 January 2002, 02:06 PM
My GM and i have been tooling with this idea for a while in our d20 campaign and we've come up with some relatively good ideas as far as adding races, (just go with the attributes from 3rd edition d&d or the core sw book). As far as converting each into one another the simplest way to bring d&d into star wars would be to eliminate magic and go with either the force or technology. and to bring star wars into d&d you dont necessarily have to eliminate the force just go with psionics.

Donovan Morningfire
10 January 2002, 04:19 PM
(Sorry, just couldn't resist :D)

As far as bringing D&D fantasy races into Star Wars, I don't see why not. A potential source for 'classic fantasy meets sci-fi' is the new Dragonstar RPG book. Got a couple of interesting classes to boot.

As far bringing numbers over and what not, just convert Hit Points to Vitality, add Wound Points, and drop AoOs (unless you use them Star Wars in the first place). If you want to add Class Defense bonuses, Reflex Save +2, -2 for each additional class (as per SW multiclass rules).

If you're treating magic as just another form of the Force, then species bonuses vs. magic would translate into similar bonuses vs. Force effects; elves get a +2 vs. mind-affecting/altering Force powers.

I think a while back someone converted a bunch of D&D races over to Star Wars, including creating planet names and some slightly tweaked versions of their history. No clue what the site's url was, sorry to say.

Moridin
10 January 2002, 04:40 PM
I'm sure Xan will appreciate me reminding you guys to keep this system-neutral if it's to stay in the General forum.

However, on topic, anyone who reads the ongoing Star Wars comic series might have seen an issue titled "Starcrash" where a newly-initiated Jedi Knight crashes on a low-tech world populated by people who look remarkably like elves. It shouldn't be too difficult to look at an example like that and find a way to integrate it into your games.

However direct crossovers leave a bad taste in my mouth. I hate crossovers for the most part. Populating a Star Wars world with mages, dragons, paladins, and lichs doesn't sound very Star Warsy to me. I'd say be subtle about it, keep it in line with currently existing Star Wars lore, and you should be alright. I don't care anything about playing a Dwarven Jedi Knight, and unless your players are into things straying widely from the established Star Wars motif, I don't know if they will either. When you do that, you break the enchanment that Star Wars has over you, like having Rambo show up in your game or something similar.

Rigil Kent
10 January 2002, 05:36 PM
I'm with Moridin here; having dragons show up in a Star Wars game just...smells in my opinion. I seem to recall running a D6 adventure (can't recall the name of it) that had a Star Dragon or some such show up and I dropped it like a hot potato.

The player races themselves I have little problem with converting but having a Paladin in the same universe as a Jedi is just a bad idea (again, IMO).

Magic is a little different. I absolutely LOVE Babylon 5 and the idea of the Technomages rules. Yeah, I know B5 wasn't the first to come up with the concept, but they were the first to really show me what a TM could be. If someone goes that route, I'd have little problem in incorporating magic into SW. Of course, the player would have to come up with a rudimentary explanation (for the GM) as to why he can toss a fireball or cast Hold Person. :)

I'm just afraid that if you started mixing too much of D&D into SW, it would become serious crap. PCs would start wanting their Jedi/Paladins to be able to construct a Holy Keen Lightsabre +5. (Shudder)

The Admiral
10 January 2002, 05:46 PM
Could be worse, could be SW meets Diabolo,,,

"Hey! This stormies got a Fabulous Socketed Grand Lightsabre of the Poisonous Squirrel!"
"What's it do?"
"Uh, dunno, oh, no, wait, it's got a belt loop."

Moridin
10 January 2002, 05:53 PM
LOL @ The Admiral

There's definitely some fantasy-type races. Heck, for D6, look at Alien Encounters. Reeks of fantasy influence in parts. And then again, there's the weird Grateful Dead bears in that one (Binars, Bilars, something like that I think) which just freak me out. That book is so strange...

Some of the Marvel comics species look kinda fantasy-ish.

The Admiral
10 January 2002, 06:09 PM
The Bilars, the care bares, yeah, they freek me out too,,,

I'm pretty sure they're in GG4, not Alien Encounters, but still, those little freeks are one of the scariest species ever. I'm sorely tempted to have a taco, or whatever their groups are called, as a recurring villain. I'm thinking they pull the cute but evil thing,,,

"We wuv woo! We wuv woo! We gonna eat your brains! Where you going?! We WUV WOO!"

Ah ooh! Even better idea, have them all in Telly Tubbie style outfits too, EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Donovan Morningfire
11 January 2002, 05:53 AM
On a related (non-Bilar) note, I just got word from a buddy of mine that he's running a high-level crossover game, set more in fantasy (specifically Forgotten Realms) than sci-fi. Our player list includes myself as myself (only a couple levels higher; it's a 12th level game), a Drow priestess of Eilistraee (native), a half-elven swordmaster (Greyhawk), a gunslinger (Deadlands D20), a soulmech (Dragonstar, think droid with a soul), and something way out of left field, a ... umm ... how can I put this ... ah, frell, a sex mage (unknown as of this time). As in the character's spells all focus on sexuality in its various forms (and is played by a female, so this is gonna be really bizarre). There's the potential of a classic wizard (converted from Rolemaster to 3rd ed D&D). With the exception of the one native, we're all from different dimensions. I don't know specifics and likely won't know until the first session. But it does sound quite promising.

It's the reverse of what FlipDog talked about, instead of bringing the fantasy element into high-tech (which I'll agree to not being overly keen on some aspects of), it's bringing the high-tech into fantasy.

Moose
12 January 2002, 02:25 PM
I think it would be awsome if some one did the conversion for a few races, i.e. elves, dwarves, and such. I think it would be important to keep it very star wars orinated though, unless you were converting it the other way. Either way I think its a cool idea.

DirkGreystoke
12 January 2002, 04:55 PM
Combining Star Wars and Dungeons and Dragons could be fun, as long as you don't take it too seriously. However, there are several cans of worms one might be opening up as a GM, such as how do the Force and magic relate to each other? But I say go for it, its at least worth a try.

Donovan Morningfire
12 January 2002, 06:37 PM
A bit of a continuation of my post above, even though the concept of a multi-crossover left a bad taste in a few folks mouth, was to say such things are good, but shouldn't be taken to huge extremes.

The fish-out-of-water scenario (aka John Crichton Syndrome) can be a great deal of fun. And using a previously established world makes both the player and GM's job easier; it's less background info you have to create.

That's one of the reasons I'm psyched up for the above game; I will be playing a true fish-out-of-water. Donovan is so used to technology that he takes it for granted (even if he has little idea how it all works :D). And seeing dragons and magic spells and elves and whatnot (things I'm all to familiar with over my many gaming years) through fresh eyes will indeed be an enjoyable thing.

The reverse is equally true. Feeling jaded with the Star Wars universe? Play a character from a fantasy world, even if just a human. Where the great magic said person is used to is replaced by just-as-wonderous technology.

Radagust
15 January 2002, 10:12 PM
The Star Wars Universe is already full of Fantasy stuff already, look at the Dark Side Sourcebook. The Sith dabbled in Alchemy and sorcery and mutated aliens to their bidding. The Sith Lords are ghost or as I call them now Liches who find a focus point to stay in the real world and become ghosts or guardians which was incorporated before the D20 system was out. You could turn the D&D demihumans into Mutations that sith lords created along time ago when they were fighting with swords and armor, there is even a fantasy world in the Rebellion sourcebook that deals wih Warlords and keeps, so it would not be impossible to do.
I am running a Star Wars game with myself and another friend of mine who is into the D20 system big time and we have come up with ways that follow the story line from the past 25,000 years and would not ruin the storyline at all. Just treat Magic and psionics as another form of the Force and Hit points as wounds.

Sithspawn
16 January 2002, 09:14 AM
Anyone who has checked out my web page will know that I'm not afraid of a cross-over or two. But I do always have one personal rule when using a cross-over - Star Wars continuity is No.1 I alter the background of what I'm bringing in to fit into the Star Wars universe. For aliens such as Delvians or Luxans (Farscape) I alter their background so it includes their contact with the Empire. The Star Wars is so vast and mystical that anything goes. Besides, there's a dragons skeleton in the Ep.4, right?

Jaden
21 January 2002, 09:27 PM
Ok, here I can speak from experience (ok, a little xp but I got it nonetheless). I have run a fantasy game using the SW d20 rules system and in the SWU. The characters are on a planet on the hind end of nowhere (in relation to the rest of the galaxy). It's a low tech world, late mideval tech. Magic is the Force (a lot of force-sensitive and force adepts on this world) or technology (the character's were given a glove that had a programmed illusion, i.e. it had a holographic recording). There are Jedi on the planet but they operate as a secret society, guiding the development of the culture.

If you like, message me and I'll see if I can collect my notes and send them to you. I'm not running it anymore, a short time after the first adventure, one of my players had some real life issues that caused me to discontinue it.

Jan Tolbara
21 January 2002, 09:43 PM
At some point in the near future, I am planning on having the party in my PBeM game end up on a fantasy world. This will involve me bringing in a number of elements from D&D, but I currently plan on having the wizards actually more like Force adepts. I will see if I can convert some spells to Force-power equivalents.