PDA

View Full Version : I like Tyvokka's (Wookiee Jedi Master) wooden lightsaber in Star Wars comic #37 nt

Faraer
10 January 2002, 03:59 PM
That is all.

sebulba524
13 January 2002, 08:24 AM
That's a cool idea for a lightsaber, but it's already been done. It was in-sadly- a KJA book, one of the Young Jedi Knights books. That would be a cool lightsaber prop to make.

Faraer
13 January 2002, 02:37 PM
The only KJA book I have is The Illustrated Star Wars Universe. Nothing has inspired me to read his fiction.

Tyvokka's saber is slightly curved, made of what looks like brown wood presumably from Kashyyyk. I like that kind of variant as long as it's kept rare. Unfortunately the blade is orange: why do EU writers keep up with the multicolored Jedi lightsaber blades, even red ones, when we know they're all blue or green?

sebulba524
13 January 2002, 04:23 PM
And purple. I kind of like the thought of multicolored lightsabers. They've been using multi colors for a while, and most of us have accepted them. You are a rare one, because I've almost exclusively heard that people like the different colors.

Faraer
13 January 2002, 05:04 PM
Well, I believe the movies and I half-believe the EU, some bits more than others. I think the licensees should reflect the continuity of the movies, which I assume will become clearer when we see lots of Jedi in Episode II (of whom one might have a purple lightsaber, or it might be blue).* A GM obviously might prefer to do it either way. I also like the simplicity and the bare RGB symbolism of blue/green vs red -- red lightsabers are definitely Sith only, I'd say. A few yellow and purple ones? OK I guess, but not often. As far as Jedi are concerned, I prefer to distinguish them by what they're like and what they look like, rather than what powers, gadgets, and colours they have.

*As they usually do. E.g. I appreciate why Lucas Licensing made the fix between the Tales of the Jedi Sith and the Episode I (novel) Sith, which matches the letter of the latter but not the intent: not wanting to piss off people with money and imagination invested in TotJ. But in the SW galaxy as I understand it, the Sith are 2,000 years old.

BrianDavion
13 January 2002, 06:23 PM
try 4000 years old. and they HAVE managed to work ToJ into the time line

Wade Trenor
13 January 2002, 11:35 PM
The Star Wars comic has been pretty good so far. I especially like #27 (I think), where the Jedi helped the Princess, thinking he was hot stuff, but in the end, she was the hero! :p

My one and only gripe with the series is that it is called 'Star Wars', not 'More Tales of the Jedi'. I'd like to see an issue that focused solely on a smuggler or other character, who ends up influencing politics, not always the Jedi. I'll have to make do with Star Wars Tales for now.

sebulba524
14 January 2002, 03:12 AM
Tales of the Jedi is okay, but Lucas made the Sith to be 2000 years old. I think they were still started by Bane, and were found a thousand years after that, but weren't really destroyed. They should have more fringe character comics.

Faraer
14 January 2002, 06:33 AM
BrianDavion: Yes, that's what I said Lucas Licensing's position is. I was explaining one way (a good way) of parsing the various Star Wars sources, with the actual George Lucas part given more weight. Another is, yes, to take everything at more or less face value.

Another way of saying what I feel about the lightsabers is, I can imagine Tyvokka in Star Wars Episode 0, or in a Star Wars TV series*, but not with an orange lightsaber.

The Jedi are the professional heroes of the Republic, and a natural subject for its stories. I don't feel that selfish or evil protagonists fit into Star Wars well; the only example in the movies, Han Solo, is there because his hero's journey takes him away from selfishness into the service the Jedi practise. But you'll be getting comics starring Jango Fett, Zam Wesell, Vilmarh Grahrk, and Nym this year. I do think the ongoing Star Wars comic uses the established Jedi Council characters too much, who shouldn't spend so much time on missions.

*for which we have a model, The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles, which I've not seen.