PDA

View Full Version : Immersion factor

OrderSponge
12 January 2002, 06:47 PM
One disadvantage that I have had over people who role-play in more contemporary enviroments (such as Rifts), is that the minute details of the Star Wars universe have not (for the most part) been mapped out. Suppose a character wants to order a drink; what kinds are there, and what are their effects? How about insults and racial slurs; something that really fleshes out an enviroment, since even though the government would never admit it, these are things that you find all over the world no matter where you go. It's things like this that frustrate me.

If anybody has any answers to my above questions, they would be greatly appreciated.

Donovan Morningfire
12 January 2002, 06:59 PM
Galaxy Guide 9: Fragments of the Rim had some good stuff on the "little details," such as drinks (a few of my PCs still live in fear of Meltdowns :D) and slang; moslty Alliance Special Ops, with Cybernetic Bronchitis (i.e. Darth Vader) being one of my faves :)

There was talk a long time back of someone that was planning on putting together a list of Star Warsy slang. Anyone know what happened to it? There was an older list, but I can't for the life of me remember who had it or what the website was.

DirkGreystoke
12 January 2002, 07:01 PM
You just sorta have to wing it. But here are some examples

Drinks-
fizzyglug (from WEG 1st edition, some kind of soda i think)
Corellian Ale (not sure which book got this one from)

Insults and racial slurs-
This depends on what species you are talking about. It would be very offensive to compare a Wookie to a Trandoshan or vice versa. Also, calling an Imperial officer something other than human would be quite the racial slur.

Cannot think of any more off of the top of my head. You just have to watch the background shots in the movies. You will get great ideas from that. Star Wars is acutally a very well fleshed out universe. It is not Tolkien's world, but it is more than adequate. And what you can't find, there is usually more than enough to inspire you to make something up if you have to in a crunch.

Silberpfeil
13 January 2002, 06:05 AM
Novels are a great (and expensive) source for what you're looking for. You can go for comics too.

An other source is Decipher SW CCG. You can go and check on their website here (http://www.decipher.com) and look at the cards from the various Starwars games. There are reference to drinks or music instruments for exemple.

Moose
13 January 2002, 02:12 PM
I had the same problem a while ago, I found a Guide to Cultures on the net, unfortuntely i ant find it right now, but i will continure to search, if i find it i will post a link or something. Good Luck

Moose
13 January 2002, 02:16 PM
Wow I had a lot of typos on that last post. I remembered where the Gudie was on my computer, but the link is dead. It is a 40 page word document so I can email it to you if you want. If you are interested my email is moose_78@hotmail.com just drop me a message and then I can send it if you like.
May the Force be With you!

Ghost In The Holocron
13 January 2002, 05:53 PM
Gamemasters interested in beefing up the immersion factor of their campaign should see Bob Vitas' excellent Completely Unofficial Star Wars Encyclopedia. Follow this link:

http://www1.theforce.net/CUSWE/default.asp

As per the author's notes, the CUSWE compiles most if not all of the information from WEG SWRPG sources, not to mention tons of books, comics, and so on -- no stats, of course, but the entries are all highly detailed and informative material. You can download the entire thing in various formats (the purely text version alone is about 9MB, about 5MB zipped, MS Access database versions are also available). The online copy may be searched as well. It blew my mind.

I've found it an excellent resource to flesh out my campaign. Regarding SW drinks and beverages, for example, try a full search (ie: entry names and descriptions) of the word "drink" and you'll get a good and extensive list of what your spacer can order at the local cantina (and other, less lowly and vile places). Try "dish" as well (for good SW eats). Search "expression" or "slang" and you'll end up with known Huttesse banter, spacer slang, derogatory terms, and so on. For alien culture and such, try an entry-name only search of your target species, the descriptions should give you a good sampling of what's been written about them.

Of course, doing a full search of both entry names and descriptions means you'll end up with a good amount of other stuff unrelated to your target area -- but interesting to the fanboy, nevertheless -- so you'll have to go over your search results manually to isolate the stuff you need ( -- this isn't that hard though).

Like, I said: It blew my mind. I've spend many hours on it. The CUSWE is guaranteed to provide relief for the gamemaster's lust for SW setting details. Great resource. Do check it out.

PS: Another good resrouce from TheForce.net's reference libraries is the Timetales Chronology -- the link is at http://www.theforce.net/timetales/. Great (and detailed) overview of SW history.

Enjoy!

Moose
13 January 2002, 08:32 PM
Ghosts post was better...hehe:p

OrderSponge
13 January 2002, 10:23 PM
Ghost- I had known about the swenc before, but I had never realized that it was this complete. Thank you for the suggestion.