PDA

View Full Version : Disconnections and 'Server busy'

Donovan Morningfire
12 January 2002, 07:53 PM
A problem I've been having over the past couple days with the new Holonet setup is that on the occasion I get knocked off-line, I have to go manually wipe-out the cookiees so that I can get back to the page. If I don't, all I get when I try to load any of the Holonet forum pages is "Server is currently busy, please use the Refresh button," or words to those effect. Not what I'd call a critical problem, but a pain in the rear-end (especially as I was in the midst of posting when I got kicked offline). This was never a problem with the older version of the Holonet. It's just darn inconvient, that's all.

Rinisari
25 January 2002, 08:49 PM
I've also been having the Server Busy message, and having it a lot. Mostly when I get online after school, which is about 4:00pm est, lasting until just before 9:00pm, nightly. It began occurring the day after the New Clothes arrived...

Armage Bedar
26 January 2002, 07:15 AM
I'm reaching the point where I may just have to break down and put up some kind of banner ad in order to subsidize the site. Something more than the book banners - while they help, they just don't pay for things on their own. And I simply cannot shell out $1200 a year (at a minimum) to put the site on a dedicated server.

I refuse to beg for money, either. The donations box is there if you want to donate, but I'm not going to ask for money. You have five bucks to spare, you can send it to us if you want - or not. Moridin, Gary, Tony, and myself are just hobbyists doing what we love, and while it would be awesome to do it for a living, we're not even breaking even right now.

Popularity sucks. Let me just say that right now. It may seem great when your pageviews increase and you start attracting people from as far away as the Faroe Islands, Kazakhstan, and Niue (yes, it's true). But then the hard reality of bandwidth, server resources, and money sets in. Right now the site is under its monthly bandwidth cap. That's not the problem. The problem is that we're sharing the server with about 150-200 other sites and they're all draining server resources. Most are not nearly as hard on the server as we are, but a few are--and a very few are even worse.

So, what's the solution to popularity when you are on a cramped server with no cash? That's what I'm asking myself right now. I've been extremely frustrated the last several months over SWRPGNetwork's growing pains. I'm certain that visitors just leave and never come back because of the problems, too, which pains me even more. What's the point of working on a site that people can't access, much less contribute to?

Anyway, I'm sorry for the rant. I wanted to get it off my chest. I thought it would help, but it's just made more preoccupied over what I need to do about the HoloNet.

If anyone has any suggestions for financial supplements (aka advertising, sponsorships), please *email* me and I'll look into it. If you're interested in sponsoring a certain forum on the HoloNet, email me and we can discuss terms.

VixenofVenus
26 January 2002, 08:27 AM
Armage, I can feel your pain. I have a friend that was running a website that became popular for a time (and is now forgotten), and he had to but banner adds on his site it order to keep it going.

I'll be the first to step up and say, If it means the HoloNet will always be here in support of the loyalists and the inexperienced new guys who drift in . . . then I'm all for having a few banner adds, and I will be sure to give em a click every day!

Kobayashi_Maru
30 January 2002, 09:19 AM
My rant is that one of two places SHOULD (key word) be more than willing to "donate" money.
1- George Lucas
Face it, the people coming to this site, and dedicated fans all over the world are the REAL reason he has ANY money what-so-ever! As if American Graffitti or Howard the Duck would have made this much money; maybe Indiana Jones but his EMPIRE is based from Star Wars success.

2-WotC
We are only here to talk, promote and appraise the actual game they made. I mean I get TONS more stuff from this site than over at WotC! Especially this message board, which in my opinion (as if it mattered) is usually more frequented and more interesting.

Maybe the rest of us could each donate one dollar a month to the site. If (for example) the site had 1000 members and only 25% actually begin donating one dollar a month the site that is an extra $250 a month. I know it is no $1200 but it helps! I would say that is the least I could do for such an awesome site!!!!!!!!!

Calanthe
31 January 2002, 05:49 AM
Originally posted by Armage Bedar
I refuse to beg for money, either. The donations box is there if you want to donate, but I'm not going to ask for money. You have five bucks to spare, you can send it to us if you want - or not. Moridin, Gary, Tony, and myself are just hobbyists doing what we love, and while it would be awesome to do it for a living, we're not even breaking even right now.

I couldn't seem to find the donations box on the holonet... unless you're referring to the one one on www.swrpgnetwork.com? If you are, it may be a good idea to put the box somewhere up on the holonet, as well. While I've been checking in with the holonet a couple of times a day, I don't check into the swrpgnet site nearly as often, and actually tend to think of them as two different sites. You'd get more holonet people seeing the box (and hopefully donating!) if you also put it up somewhere here.

Cal

Gulmyros
3 February 2002, 03:29 PM
A quick question about server load.

Does it help if users click the 'logout' link rather than just closing their browser? How long do the cookies last before they expire?

Just looking for other ways to help.

:)

Gully

Master Dao Rin
6 February 2002, 10:17 PM
Its also happening to me a lot, especially lately. I haven't been able to log on ("server is busy") either Monday or Tuesday at all, and I spent 30 minutes each day trying to log on - Monday it was 1 am PST even!!!! How busy can it be after midnight?!

This is getting rather annoying ...

Chris Curtis
7 February 2002, 06:58 AM
It's been suggested before (Donovan was the first one I saw), but I'll repeat it:

After you're done browsing the HoloNet, make sure you log out. It means you'll have to log in again when you return, but it also seems to help immensely with the "server too busy" messages.

Kobayashi_Maru
7 February 2002, 08:11 AM
After I'm already here at the holonet, I go from one page to another and it gives me page can't be displayed, I refresh it 2-5 times and there it is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Especially when I submit replies I have to refresh quickly or re-type the hole post.

Like right now!!!!!!!!!!

Master Dao Rin
13 February 2002, 11:54 PM
Well, this logging out and loggin in doesn't work at all. The problem's gotta be something else. A whole freakin' week before I got back in here! :)

Donovan Morningfire
14 February 2002, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by Master Dao Rin
Well, this logging out and loggin in doesn't work at all. The problem's gotta be something else. A whole freakin' week before I got back in here! :)
Maybe the server the Holonet is on is actually a prototype AI, and thus learns what tricks we use to avoid it's feared "Server Busy" attack, and the works to circumvent them so as to better target unsuspecting surfers with the much dreaded "Server Busy Blast!!" (as well as adding extra letters and such that 'netters are postive they didn't type)

.. or not :D

As an add on to what Chris said, you may have to go and hunt down the cookie for swrpgnetwork and delete it manually. May or may not help.

Rigil Kent
14 February 2002, 08:01 PM
You must all get cable modems or faster. :D When I'm at home on my cable modem, I have zero problems getting on. At work (when I'm not supposed to be on anyway), the crappy 56K line chokes nearly everytime.

One way to solve the problem is for everyone on the HoloNet to (waving my hand) Send us your life savings. :D Let me know if that trick actually works; if it does, I'm going to visit the bank tomorrow...

Grimace
15 February 2002, 10:54 AM
From my experience with problems (yes, I've had them too), logging out and in doesn't fix it. Deleting cookies doesn't fix it. Having a cable modem doesn't fix it!

I've tried the two former, and I am always on the latter of the three. Armage has told me that the main viewing browser for this site is Internet Explorer. I use AOL, which uses a good part of IE. Every single time I try to get on to the holonet with either IE or AOL, I get "server too busy".

So I grovelled and begged to Armage, and he managed to get Netscape 6.0+ to work on the holonet. Strangely, when I use Netscape, I have zero problems. No "server too busy" at all. I can't even begin to access the holonet with IE or AOL at any time other than 0 hour to 0200 hours MY TIME, which is like 4 A.M. to 6 A.M. Eastern Time. Even then, I can get online, but sometimes after I've typed up a nice response (like this one) and try to post, I get a "Server too busy" message and can't post, and can't go anywhere.

So my advice...until the Holonet can get on to a better server (if that ever happens) or until the problem (whatever is causing it) goes away, download Netscape 6.0 or better so you can get your fix. Hopefully it "solves" the problem like it did for me.

(wait....urge to send life savings to Rigil...taking....over. Must....resist! 8o)

Master Dao Rin
17 February 2002, 05:09 PM
Well, I've got a cable modem, and I've got Net 6.2, so I'm covered.

Its the frelling surver, thats all. I guess the only thing left is that we're going to have to sell Armage into slavery, or something ... :D

Forlorn
17 February 2002, 05:26 PM
One thing that seems to work for me when nothing else is working is to come in through the backdoor as I like to call it. What I do is pop over to dark lords of the sith and click their forum link. That pops me into the forum for them and from there I can access the rest of the site. I dont know why but it works really well.

Have you thought about talking to Morrus over at www.enworld.org about moving the holonet there? They already have a very active DnD message board on a dedicated server but their Star Wars forum recently got absorbed into their general D20 forum. Might be an idea to look into. Just some thoughts.

Armage Bedar
18 February 2002, 03:37 PM
We're looking into better server hosting as we speak.

Reverend Strone
22 February 2002, 02:35 AM
Armage and company, please know that I have nothing but the hugest respect for you guys and what you have accomplished with this site. It's because it's so good and enjoyable that I keep coming back- or at least trying too (Server Busy etc...)

I'm a relative newbie here, but what I've seen is worth something. While I will most certainly be donating some dosh your way as soon as my wedding is paid for (the information we all have access to through the holonet is well worth paying for in my book), I thought I'd throw some suggestions your way in the chance you hadn't approached any of these guys before.

The company I work for recently elected to sponsor a very popular high profile fan website related to the work that we do. Among other things, we have a merchandising wing that now has advertising and links on this popular site frequented by fans of the work we're involved in. It's simple logic for us to want to be involved with these guys.

My point is, if the holonet can demonstrate that it recieves the traffic to warrant it, the guys you should be approaching are licensees of Star Wars properties- eg: Hasbro, The SW Fanclub, Applause, Wizards ofcourse (although I'm sure you guys have been there). These guys have to appreciate to potential value in a sponsorship deal, especially if it's a meazely $1200 a year. I personally could tolerate an ad for some Star wars related product if it ment a smoother running site and the continued enjoyment we've all had out of the Holonet thus far. Heck- I reckon spending a half hour here can be more beneficial than half the supplements wizards put out- with all respect to those guys.

It's a shame my own company don't hold a Star Wars license. we've already discovered the wisdom of fan-site sponsorship. We'd be here. i just hope someone out there has the vision.

Keep up the great work guys. We all appreciate it. Long live the Holonet.

Starhammer
5 March 2002, 01:14 PM
I know this thread is a little stale, and that Armage said steps have begun on their end to rectify the problem, but I've found something that works for me 100% of the time in IE 5.5 on both a T3 and a Cable Modem.

I have a bookmark to the front page of SWRPGNetwork with no page listed after it (i.e. swrpgnetwork.com/) in my "Links" bar.

When I get the server too busy error I immediately click said link and then immediately click "HoloNet Forums".

This allows me to view the site for another good bit. For most of y'all it should be enough time to do most of the things you do, as it lets me (who's currently reading the archives) read about 25 threads in their entirety before crapping out on me again.

Hope this helps all, and good luck on the server resolution issue Armage and co.

Sanjuro
8 March 2002, 07:45 AM
I haven't had any problems being able to log on to the site, however, it seems that whenever I type a long reply to something, I get the (server Busy) sign. I was wondering if there was some connection between the size of my posts, and the "server busy" signal that I get occasionally. it doesn't happen with my shorter replies, but it really sucks when I take the time to write out an in depth answer to something, only to have to retype it is a summarized version in hopes that I will actually get to post it. I am not trying to sound y here or anything, I just find myself posting less because of server difficulties. I can understand Armage's delima, and I sympathize with it. Hell, if I had any money to contribute I would. But, since I really can't be of much help, I guess I will stick to short answer posts for now. Thanks.B)

Gulmyros
8 March 2002, 10:23 AM
Sanjuro, this has happened to me on these boards and several other places. I've gotten into the habbit of writing posts on web sites, then copying all the text to my clipboard before I hit the "submit" button, just in case.

Usually at the HoloNet, if I submit and get the "busy" page, I just hit the back button and my post is still written, and I click the submit button again. But on those rare instances when I go back and the edit window is blank, I just put my cursor in the first space and hit "paste" and it's all there again.

I've gotten to the point where I prepare to copy/paste my own posts whenever I use a web-based board - whether they're running well or not. Even when things are going smoothly you can hit a snag.

So I copy my text as insurance, and I don't worry about the length of my replies because of it.

Just thought that plan might help you in the meantime.

vongkiller
9 March 2002, 01:12 PM
I'm having the same problems but have no clue how to fix em (other than push ing the big button, we all know what that means) sorry I couldn't be of help

Korpil
18 March 2002, 06:55 PM
Let's say Armage... if I could make only one donation for the next three months what would be an acceptable under $50 sum?

Rinisari
18 March 2002, 07:22 PM
Armage, would it be possible to put a link to www.swrpgnetwork.com on the Server Busy page? People could work around the Server Busy a little easier that way...

Armage Bedar
19 March 2002, 02:12 PM
<b>Korpil</b>, I'd encourage you to donate what you'd like. If you can only give $5 now, that's great. If you want to give $50, that's also great. We're not as interested in how much people give then we are in that people *do* give. Giving us anything, whether it's a pat on the back or a winning lottery ticket, shows your support.

And <b>Rinisari</b>, that's a good idea - but I don't have the ability to do that, since that's a message generated by the server's Apache module and not a customizable page.

I'm really sorry, guys, it seems like we're dragging our feet, but we're trying to shop around for a good deal before spending a lot of time and a great deal of money on a dedicated server.

Rinisari
19 March 2002, 04:10 PM
Well, thanks anyway Armage. 'Twas worth a shot.