PDA

View Full Version : Orb pains...

Lexor
15 January 2002, 07:22 AM
Ladies and Gentleman, I am a GM.

And in my current campaign I decided to incorperate a special object.
This "Dark Orb" (I found it in the supplements guide) is a in destructible sphere of dark-side-imbued black rock that was created via the sacrifice of strong dark lords. This orb is "willed" to move by its owner (which it chooses) and will can only be moved by that same person.

Anyway, as I was wandering around this site, I happened upon this interesting object and decided to have my heroes embark on a mission to discover it.

Now the orb is in possesion of one of my force-users (a wookie) and this hero is feeling the toll the orb inflicts. It turns out that the longer you own the orb, the more it refuses to comply with your bidding.
Now, the character is having to decide between abandoning it, or carying out its latest demand, commiting genocide against the wookies.

Funny huh?
It gives an interesting twist to force users who are too powerful for their own good.

DirkGreystoke
15 January 2002, 07:24 AM
I like this idea, of challenging characters in unusual ways. Tough times for the Wookie though. So how are you going to handle this? And just for curiousity's sake, how would you handle the genocide option should he choose to take it?

Troy Henist
15 January 2002, 07:59 AM
What does the orb do? What are its powers?

I assume the Wookie is getting something from it. Promises of power, hidden knowledge, etc. The more is gives the more it wants in return.

At the moment, unless the Wookie has already been corrupted by its influence, his going to turn round tell it where to stick its idea.

I am sorry if this not much help, but I haven't heard of this object so can't add that much else.

Moridin
15 January 2002, 09:02 AM
This sounds a lot like my Dark Sphere (http://www.swrpgnetwork.com/entry.php?id=1064) that I created and posted during Dark Side Month. Is it? If not, where did you get your information from?

Lexor
15 January 2002, 10:21 AM
This orb is a "next generation" dark orb.

Yes, it does give the user bonuses on farseeing and sith lore.

Plans for weapons and other sith sorcery were gained from it.

At the end of the campaign, which is near, the orb will betray the heroes and teach them a lessons about the true meaning of the darkside.

Blaze Ashara
15 January 2002, 11:38 PM
One Orb to rule them all, one Orb to find them,
One Orb to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.

Ah, I love this idea! When done right this could be an exciting way to use LOTR ideas in your SW campaign.

Step 1 (discovery), the heroes stumble across this strange orb which is seemingly usless. They keep it for some reason or another, perhaps to sell to a merchant later on. One of them becomes strangly attached to it, a skilled GM could even allow this to happen without the player knowing. Play off the player's reactions, but be careful not to let them know where your going with it.

Step 2 (strange happenings), one of the PCs notices the strange powers the orb has. This could be different depending on what sort of game your running. The whole Dark Orb idea seems to work very well with this, one thing to keep in mind is you don't want to give any indication this is an evil item. If the true identity of the orb is found out too soon, the PCs will most assuredly try and lose it.

Step 3 (revelation), after awhile one or all of the heroes should come across some acient scroll or wise, dying Jedi Master and be told of the orbs background and the seriousness of the issue. The orb is extremly powerful, if it fell into the wrong hands it could wipe out the entire galaxy. The heroes should decide to get rid of it. The old Jedi, or holocron, or whatever the PCs source of information on the orb should explain that the orb can only be destroyed on a certain planet at the edge of the galaxy, the planet from wence it was forged. This planet should be harsh, filled with dangerous beasts, and a horrible sense of being watched.

Step 4 (the journey), the heroes trip to this planet should be long and incorporate a number of adventures. Along the way the heroes must dodge a crazed Imperial Inquistor, Sith Lord, or powerful Force Adept who has learned of the orbs discovery. He or she sends their deadly and frightening minions out to take it back and use it for dark purposes. Your heroes should be constantly hounded by this foe, even to the point where they feel safe trusting no one. NPCs they once trusted will be unable to handle the orbs call to power and might even attempt to take it. Make sure to constantly tempt the players at ALL times to use the orb, which becomes more attached to them as they delve deeper into it. Perhaps even use will saving throws to avoid using it.

Step 5 (the destruction), the heroes reach the forgotten planet and, after crashing there, must battle the revived souls of the sith lords who gave their lives for the orb. It might be interesting to have the heroes meet up with a strange alien who claims to have once owned the orb. This would basically play out the part of "Gollum," to guide the heroes to the place where the orb can be destroyed, with seemingly no evil motives. The final destrouction should require a great personal loss by one or all PCs, maybe even one of their deaths. In the end the orb is destroyed and the spirits vanish.

This is just my idea. I know, it reeks of LOTR (hell, it is LOTR! :D), but if done right it could turn out pretty fun. Anyway, this is just the thing I need to spice up my dying campaign. Thanks for the idea. ;)

Blaze Ashara

scourgicus
16 January 2002, 07:21 AM
I like the idea of incorporating LotR ideas into the Orb story...but not that closely. There are other options...a Dark Jedi/Sith Lord (depending on campaign) could sense the prescence of the Orb and decide s/he wants it. This in itself could be a campaign with various minions trying to steal the Orb, eventually resorting to open violence.

Or the Orb could draw various Sith/Dark Siders to it - Sith mutants, Dark Side Marauders, maybe even a Sith Behemoth if you want to be funny. And there's always the party's internal struggle for the Orb - ala Boromir but worse.

Lexor
16 January 2002, 07:23 AM
...the true spirit of the drakside is in the actions it causes.

I like it.