PDA

View Full Version : Comics- Which Series should I buy?

sebulba524
15 January 2002, 02:07 PM
I'm interested in buying some of the Trade Paperback Compilation Sets of Comics a.k.a. Graphic Novels. Which ones are the best? I already plan on buying Darth Maul and Jedi Council: Acts of War(paged through em both). I want to know if Twilight is any good, and any of the others. I don't really want to read TotJ(paged through, okay, not my style right now). I'm concerned with the RotE Era stuff. Any help will be appreciated

Durian Keldrona
15 January 2002, 03:13 PM
as far as i know there isnt any RotE Graphic novels other than the EpI one

sebulba524
15 January 2002, 03:34 PM
I probably have the terminology wrong. In Borders, the Graphic Novels section has Paperback Books with all the comics of a series in them. The ones I have seen are Emmisaries to Malastare, Twilight, Outlander, Jedi Council: Acts of War and Darth Maul. I think they're labeled as graphic novels on Amazon.com too. Jedi Council-Acts of War on Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1569715394/ref=pd_sim_books/103-5482004-5493432)
So now that I've explained it, any suggestions?

saucercrab
15 January 2002, 09:07 PM
I enjoyed the Hunt for Aurra Sing story arc, but I don't know if it has been released in collected form. Outlander wasn't too bad, either.

Grimace
15 January 2002, 10:15 PM
Moving to Chaos & Misc.

sebulba524
16 January 2002, 03:13 AM
Grimace, how could you just move this and not give an opinion?

Grimace
16 January 2002, 07:18 AM
Due to the fact that I've read: Dark Empire, Dark Empire 2, Crimson Empire and Tales of the Jedi. None of those fell into the category of graphic novels that you were looking for opinions on, so I felt no need to give an opinion that would be of no assistance to you.

If you are referring to why I moved it...this topic is more "miscellaneous" than it is "rants and raves", so that's why it's here now.

Sorry if I left you hanging, didn't mean to.

Darth Bile
16 January 2002, 07:21 AM
the crimson guard or whatever the title was, was a good one, the one bout the imperial guard novel

Faraer
19 January 2002, 11:45 PM
A lot of the most recent stuff is better than some of what's out in tpb.

Published as trade paperbacks:
Episode I Adventures: haven't read
Chewbacca: First two issues of four are RotE. Quite good, shows Kashyyyk and younger Chewbacca.
Jedi Council---Acts of War: Not great, but some good scenes and I quite like the Jedi Council member Micah Giett. If you're going to have so much fighting, it should look exceptional (see Darth Maul). I like Davidé Fabbri's art better in The Stark Hyperspace War.
Darth Maul: The story is a little perfunctory: it's all fighting. Buy if you like Darth Maul, Jan Duursema's excellent art, or to know about Black Sun pre-Episode I.
Prelude to Rebellion: First arc of ongoing comic, haven't read.
Outlander: I don't like Tim Truman's writing on this and Emissaries to Malastare: it seems clumsy and doesn't recreate the era too well for me. This has lots of Tatooine and Aurra Sing (it doesn't help that I don't don't like the overuse of Tatooine or believe the 'Sing was a Jedi' story).
Emissaries to Malastare: Jedi Council members respond to events on Malastare and Nar Shaddaa.
Twilight: Get it. John Ostrander and Jan Duursema are good together. Imaginative and faithful, though you may not like both the main characters.

Look out for these which should be out this year:
Star Wars Tales, Volume 1 (February): Mix of short stories, not too strong for RotE alone.
Jango Fett and Zam Wesell (March): 64-page one-shots
Jedi vs. Sith (March): I can't see how the art style is suitable to the events of the Battle of Ruusan. Haven't read.
Star Wars Tales, Volume 2 (May): More good RotE stuff than vol 1: half a dozen pretty good stories though nothing unmissable.
Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan---Last Stand on Ord Mantell: Very good
Darkness: Second Ostrander/Duursema arc, just as good. I like its new Jedi characters.
Jedi Quest: Worth a look especially if you haven't read the book it's adapted from.

sebulba524
20 January 2002, 04:57 PM
Thanks Faraer. I'll look into getting Twilight soon. It might be tough, cause they keep cutting down the Star Wars section in my Borders.

st-153-45
1 February 2002, 06:42 AM
the X-wong series , The Phantom Affair is good
the series with Baron Fel ( i think its In the Empire's service) is also good
the comics about Boba Fett are also nice
or the adaptation of the Thrawn trilogy is really good espescially the first one
cant think of any more at the moment but ive got nearly every comic there is about st wrs
Btw they should start adapting the NJO books or stories in comic form ....;id like to see more visuals about the Vong

Reverend Strone
14 February 2002, 03:52 PM
Okay, I'm probably a litle late here judging by the last dated post, but here's my two Wupiupi's worth as an Writer, Illustrator and Fan who rarely buys any comics.

Go for Star Wars Underworld- The Yavin Vassilika.

I've not really found very much attractive in the whole star wars comic series. The last one I really liked was the comic version of Tim Zahn's Heir to the Empire and was very much looking forward to buying the follow up graphic novels for Dark Force Rising and The Last Command, but then they changed artists and the quality took a dip.

Underworld was the first star wars graphic novel in years that I just couldn't put back on the shelves. It has a fresh look and granted, while it's not trying to be canon, the sense of humour can be easily translated into a canon-based star wars adventure setting. If you haven't already, I recommend checking it out.

It's also a welcome break from all the Jedi/Sith stuff which is really getting repetitive.

Good reading to you...

sebulba524
15 February 2002, 04:59 AM
Checked out Underworld a while ago, didn't like it much. I like the Jedi stuff, Sith stuff too, any good combat is cool. But Underworld, well, I wasn't really into the art(I like it a little more realistic), and the story line didn't intrigue me. It was good and all, but not my mug of maltbrew.

Reverend Strone
15 February 2002, 03:15 PM
Each to their own huh?

No worries. Have fun and thanks for the reply.