PDA

View Full Version : Excellent computer generated art

S.L.A.M.
18 January 2002, 04:00 PM
I found this site in the Technical Commentaries link page.
It has fantastic computer generated art of Star Wars starships from the films and books.

Raiths page of Star Wars art

http://www2.cybernex.net/~flip1/

S.L.A.M.:D

Dr_Worm
18 January 2002, 07:30 PM
Holy Guacahooly.... that is the picture of a Blastboat I have been yerning for! It also shows one called The Storm. Where did it come from and does anyone have stats for it?

Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn
18 January 2002, 10:17 PM
It's a Hapan ship, the Storm was Prince Isolder's personal fighter.

Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn
18 January 2002, 10:20 PM
There are some innacuracies, like the readnaught's engines... very cool thouigh. I think this guy's secret is in the texturing... each model doesn't have 3 bazillion poly's but the textures are so high resolution...

Sidyan
19 January 2002, 02:23 AM
Indeed, excellent models, including the Blastboat and that unknown Mon Calamari cruiser (labeled "Mon Cal Gold"). Beatiful TIE's as well (especially Advanced and Defender). Never thought a Strike-class looked like that, but I like it :) A pity that he got the ISD all wrong (way too flat :() ... but the rest are great :D

Kayle Skolaris
19 January 2002, 04:19 AM
Actually a Strike doesn't look like that. It's much more rounded than that. And as LCDR Thrawn said, there are many inaccuracies in some of his pictures, but I think that's more than offset by the pictures that he did get right in such stunning beauty. I really love that Mon Cal Gold ship...

Deck
19 January 2002, 07:01 AM
This is definitely a cool site with many decent graphics available there. However, I agree with <b>Kayle</b> that the <i>Strike</i>-class Cruiser does not appear in its normal design. It's probably made of the views of some computer games, where the Strike Cruiser also has a strange appearance.

By the way, hadn't a Z-95 Headhunter Triple-Blasters? I can only see single blaster cannons on the images... ;)

Enough picking for now. The site is really fine. Has anyone already contacted the webmaster?

Silberpfeil
19 January 2002, 07:05 AM
Wow! Thanks for the site. This guy is really good. 8o

Gulmyros
19 January 2002, 11:35 AM
From Dr. Worm
that is the picture of a Blastboat I have been yerning for
From LC Thrawn
There are some innacuracies, like the readnaught's engines... very cool thouigh. I think this guy's secret is in the texturing... each model doesn't have 3 bazillion poly's but the textures are so high resolution...Let me agree, too. While I was a bit disappointed that the blastboat pic had so many shots with the tail fin done horizontally (which is supposed to be only for landing, it operates with the fin vertically during flight in atmosphere or vacuum), the pics overall are WAY better than I'd have done with my pencils and scanner. :)

But if Mr. Raith ever comes by this way and peruses the HoloNet - then let me give the site 4 Wookie Paws. It's a good job done all around.

And hey, we're the same people who nitpick Mr. Lucas's work to death, so who really expected this site to get away unscathed????

:)

Gully

Kayle Skolaris
20 January 2002, 12:23 AM
Most models of Z-95 did indeed havea pair of triple blasters, but they were woefully underpowered weapons (3D, even linked). I know at least a few production models replaced them with a laser cannon on each wing, as shown in Raith's picture.

I've been mulling over the Strike cruiser seen on his site and thought of a viable reason for its variation from what I and others consider to be the "normal" Strike. The Strike is said to be a highly modular design, capable of supporting carrier, assault, heavy weapons, and various other modules. What Raith has on his site may simply be an unfamiliar module load.