PDA

View Full Version : Question regarding the "Jedi Trials"...

Ethan Crowe
18 January 2002, 04:53 PM
A few friends and I have been playing a campaign for a while and we have a Jedi Padawan who is now powerful enough to face "the trials" that are mentioned in Episode I. I admit that I haven't read all of the books and comic books yet, but I'm open for some suggestions on how exactly to play out the trials.

barna284
19 January 2002, 06:45 PM
Mind you, this is just my take on the matter...

IMO, the Jedi Trials should comprise a whole mission the padawan must solve, not just a "slice the Sith" thing. The young apprentice is sent to a planet to right some wrong, and it is his approach which determines wether he is ready to become a Jedi Knight or not. Not only how he does it in means of behaviour (approach), but wether he does or does not certain things (maybe one of teh hardest challenges for a Jedi is knowing when he must not intervene, despite personal feelings). Also, I think there shouldnīt be just one "right" answer to the problem; the Master must judge if the padawan has solved the situation with enough confidence and maturity to become a Knight.
In short: it should be a mission with lots of complex situations, encounters and other trials not only of the moral sort but pertaining all the things that make the Jedi what they are; judgement, common sense, knowing when to intervene and whern not to, etc.

x-cuse typos, itīs 1 AM...

Tony J Case, Super Genius
22 January 2002, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by Ethan Crowe
A few friends and I have been playing a campaign for a while and we have a Jedi Padawan who is now powerful enough to face "the trials" that are mentioned in Episode I. I admit that I haven't read all of the books and comic books yet, but I'm open for some suggestions on how exactly to play out the trials.

The only official example of the trials that we have is from Shadow Hunter. The female lead (the name has suddenly escaped me) is sent to the lower levels of Courscant to retrieve a criminal who is turning states evidence and requires protection from the Jedi. That's it - go to the really nasty levels, pick up this guy and bring him back.

Kind of a weenie Trial if you ask me.

My take is some kind of (forgive the Star Trek refrance) Kobashi Maru - a no win situation where there is no right answer. Something where the path taken to the solution defines the character and draws upon everything they've learned. And there should be a healthy dose of facing down the Dark Side - but that's not nessassary.

They should be confronted by their fears and weaknesses. Luke's, for example - confronting his father. Now, a case could be made that his trial is all about redeeming his father or killing the emperor - but I think it's more than that. His confrontation with Vader left him reeling of doubt and uncertainty. His faith - everything he had known up to that point - had suddenly been turned upside down. Facing his father was Luke moving beyond his fears and into a bigger world.

One idea that I have, for at least one of my Jedi - he belongs to a secret organization that watches the Jedi order (kind of like the folks from the Highlander TV show, but with more of a policing mindset). The group of four Padawan are like family - very close to each other, no secrets between them. . . . save for one. Now, my idea for a trial is how the group handles this double life, and that he's been watching them from the get-go.

It should be quite a show.