PDA

View Full Version : Can't believe it. Star by Star & Dark Journey spoiler

MFalls
21 January 2002, 08:45 PM
Hey there I just read last night that in Star by Star and Dark Journey another major EU (Expanded Universe) character dies. And also that Jaina turns to the darkside. First off. Anakin Skywalker dies. I figured all the young people in the series would be the people to pretty much start the new generation. And the authors would be killing the older main characters off. Plus I would have thought they would have much more of a story line for Anakin. Possibly in the future having him follow in his grand fathers foot steps. Guess I thought WRONG. Secondly I figured the way all the authors were treating Jaina in each of their books she would turn to the darkside sooner or later. So I can believe that. Just seems weird. Any ways just wanted to express my thoughts on it and see what you all thought. Thanks.

Frobi-Wan Kenobi
22 January 2002, 12:44 AM
I had the feeling that Jaina would fall to the Dark Side.

On the Anakin Death thing I am one of the few on the HoloNet that believe that Anakin is not really dead (just mostly dead). It's my theory that Anakin will be resurrected by Tahari's love for him. Don'y forget that the little Jedi Master told Anakin and Tahari that they together will do something that no one has ever done.

On another note Borsk redeemed himself in my eyes by his final action.

Aaron B'Aviv
22 January 2002, 12:14 PM
I agree about Borsk. I disagree about Anakin.

At first, I was unable to believe that Anakin, who besides representing the Next Generation as the most powerful of the New Jedi, was also the main character of the past few NJO books. But I read the interview with Troy Denning on the TF.N website yesterday, and it convinced me: Anakin is dead. Now, this doesn't mean he's out of the storyline- the impacts he's had on the people who'll be stepping into the forefront now- Jaina, Jacen, Tahiri, Tenel Ka, as well as Luke, Kyp, Leia, and Han- those will dictate the course of the story for quite a while.

As to Ikrit's prophecy, perhaps it will be the inspiration of Anakin's death, or Anakin's kiss, that leads Tahiri to do the things never done before? Or maybe the lambent saber for Anakin and the biological tinkering on Tahiri count as the things that have never been done before? Those two actions merge Vong thought and our galaxy thought in ways that have never been done before. Whatever the ultimate explanation is, Anakin's death doesn't interfere with this prophecy.

As far as Jaina's fall, this is one of the most fascinating things I've seen in any Star Wars book. No fall to the dark side has been as well portrayed as this one- the subtle temptations, the overcoming power of the dark side which becomes easier as it is called more frequently. We can only hope that Anakin Skywalker's fall to the dark side in Episodes II and III will be as well portrayed.

Aiel
23 January 2002, 01:32 PM
I also claim to be one of those people who believe Anakin isn't quite dead yet. Maybe what he was in was the Vong version of a bacta tank or something. The Vong would want him alive if possible, to sacrifice to their Gods. Also, I beleive Jaina will turn to the Darkside, but her brothers' love will turn her back when she finds out Anakin still lives.

Iris
23 January 2002, 11:33 PM
I think Anakin is actually dead. Leia's reaction is what confirms this in my mind. She has a unique bond with all her children through the Force and the clarity with which she felt the "disapparence" of Anakin from that "Mother's Force-enhanced radar" is undenyable.

Mother's without the Force tend to know when something happens to their children. I can only believe that with a link through the Force, however slight, that Leia's natural Mother's instincts are MUCH more enhanced and accurate.

I am also impressed with how they wrote Jaina fall. It didn't just happen in this book but over a series of books and events that have occured. I fell that Jason is going to play a key role in her return to the light. The two of them, as twins, are so tightly bound that it makes logical sense.

MFalls
24 January 2002, 11:04 AM
Well now that I have thought about it some more I can see why they killed off Anakin and not had him follow in his grand fathers footsteps. I mean the Lucas company doesn't want them to repeat themsleves. Their already going through Anakin of the past turning to the darkside. And they still have a long way to go for the whole story to be told. And so they don't want to have the Anakin in the future also turn at the same time their telling the others story. That's just repeating themsleves. And also the whole twins thing. Think about Luke and Leia. I know most people think the comics are less true than the novels but the comics mean the same as the novels in all other sources. Look at all the chrologies (or timelines) out there most if not all include the movies, the novels, the comics, the RPG game books, and even some of the video games. So like I was saying Dark Empire Leia helped turn Luke back to the lightside. So they'll be repeating themsleves with the whole twin turns the other twin back to the lightside. But that's just my thoughts on this. But we shall see come future novels.

Aaron B'Aviv
25 January 2002, 10:12 AM
Are you saying that they killed of Anakin because otherwise he would've gone to the dark side?

I doubt it. Anakin, particularly because of his name, is sensitive about the dark side. He knows the burden placed on him, and he's careful to avoid turning. He's also, of the trio of Solo children, the one who's skirted closest to the Dark Side (pre-Jaina's actions in SxS, of course). He's been there, done that, and seen that it's not the right course. He's the least likely one to go to the dark side.

The reason for Anakin's death, that I can see, is primarily to make the heros' plight that much more difficult. Anakin had abilities that no other Jedi had. He could detect Vong through the Force. He was also extremely strong- in my estimate, his power rivaled that of Anakin Skywalker. He was a leader, a loyal friend, remarkably mature... Without him, the New Republic is ever so much more doomed.

I think it was also critical, with Episodes II and III on the way, to clear away rumors among the EU community that Anakin Solo and not Anakin Skywalker is the chosen one. With Anakin dead, he can't be the chosen one who brings balance to the Force, can he? Or maybe he can...

MFalls
25 January 2002, 09:07 PM
That was just my opinion. But I don't think the authors killed him off because of people thinking he's the chosen one. Lucas talked about that in the movies and will stick with it "IN" the movies. So in my opinion him getting killed has no relavence with the "Chosen One". Also I don't think they killed him off just because of the possibility that he would turn to the darkside. It's just the way they were writing him in my opinion. Also yes he was special. But I don't think he was gonna be the hero of the New Republic or Jedi or the whole galaxy against the Vong. He might of been a small part of it but I think it's gonna be a group effort if any thing. I believe the New Republic and Jedi will quit wasting their time fighting with each other and actually group together and fight the vong and win. But like I said in another post in another thread the vong isn't just gonna go away. After the war the vong will probably have their little area of space. But all this will be three or four years down the road. The series is suppose to be complete at the end of 2005 or 2006. Can't remember which. But I think it's 2005. Same year Episode 3 comes out. Any ways this is just my opinion on it all.

Moose
28 January 2002, 08:29 PM
I am a large fan of Anakin in the EU. One theory that I have seen and hope is true goes like this: since Anakin was put into a Yuuzhan Vong casing he was essentially cut off from the force. To Leia and the other Jedi who felt him disappear in the force think it was him dying it really could just be the YZ casing hiding his presence to his loved ones in the force.

Thats one theory...I hope it is true or that Anakin is alive in some other way, but if not theres still a slue of amazing character left other than Anakin.

Nova Spice
29 January 2002, 01:52 PM
Everyone said the same thing about Chewbacca.."Maybe he isn't dead?"

People, if Anakin is alive, then Alderaan will reform into a planet! Let him go folks. Chewbacca was one of my favorites behind Wedge and Han and I realize that he is gone. There is no point in wishful thinking...you'll just be disappointed.

Fact is that in Dark Journeys, all the Jedi save for Leia felt Jacen die. I anyone is not dead, its Jacen. Although the last sentence of the novel definitely makes you wonder. I was reading that interview with Troy Denning and I believe he said that the entire reason for the NJO has not been touched yet in the novels and something very important is coming up. The deaths of Chewbacca, Borsk Fey'lya, Anakin, and "possibly" Jacen are leading up to a much bigger event that will shock and surprise everyone.

This topic has been covered more times than I care to remember. :(
-Anakin is dead
-Jaina is a fallen Jedi
-Jacen is the captured twin that will bring balance to the other Jedi. Remember his vision in Balance Point? The one with the galaxy tilting towards darkness and him trying to balance it back to light.

There is something else as well...a subtle hinting that another main character may be getting ready to die too. However, I feel the next one will hit more closely to home..a character from the movies. Perhaps Lando....Han...or maybe even Luke.
Also remember another thing...its been quite a while since a Sith duo has been around..perhaps even now they are rising again?

MFalls
29 January 2002, 11:21 PM
Hey there every one. I started this thread by reading spoilers of Star by Star and Dark Journey. I havn't actually read the books as of yet. I'm waiting for Star by Star to go to paper back. And I'm not gonna read the series out of order so I'm not gonna read Dark Journey. That out of the way. Nova said Borsk Fey'lya dies. What happened to him? I know he could be a butthead some times but since the NJO series has started they have put some new light on him and he does have some good points to him. He's basically neutral in my opinion. Meaning I don't hate him but I'm not overly fond of him either. He did make a good leader for the Republic though. Better than Leia. She just had too much going on for her to be leader. Borsk Fey'lya was an actual leader and not some one that went on an adventure every time you turn around. I like Leia just not as the leader of the Republic. Too unrealalistic to me. The leader of a galaxy spaning orginzation (if you want to call the Republic that) going on adventures and what not and almost getting killed seeming like on a dayly basis. Just my thoughts. Thanks for all the responses.

Nova Spice
30 January 2002, 04:36 PM
.........uhh......rule of thumb, if ya havent read the books then do not ask questions concerning spoilers. :)
I am not going to tell you what happened to Fey'lya....you should have told us you haven't read the books. Trynot to start a thread on NJO spoilers in the novels if you havent read them.....

MFalls
30 January 2002, 08:19 PM
:p

Arakyd
31 January 2002, 04:13 AM
Originally posted by Nova Spice
.........uhh......rule of thumb, if ya havent read the books then do not ask questions concerning spoilers. :)
I am not going to tell you what happened to Fey'lya....you should have told us you haven't read the books. Trynot to start a thread on NJO spoilers in the novels if you havent read them.....

MFalls, is allowed to ask any question about the book he wants. It does not matter if he read the book or not. If he wants to know a spoiler about a book he has not read.Thats his choice, not yours.

MFalls
31 January 2002, 01:00 PM
Thanks for sticking up for me Arakyd but it's cool. If they don't want to tell me I'll just wait till I read the book. Havn't found out when they'll release Star by Star in paper back yet. Looked on Amazon but they have no listing of it coming to paper back yet. Any ways thanks again for all the responses. :)

Superdog
31 January 2002, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by Aiel
I also claim to be one of those people who believe Anakin isn't quite dead yet. Maybe what he was in was the Vong version of a bacta tank or something. The Vong would want him alive if possible, to sacrifice to their Gods. Also, I beleive Jaina will turn to the Darkside, but her brothers' love will turn her back when she finds out Anakin still lives. Actually the head Vong makes a comment to the effect of: kill all the stupid Jedi, and take the twins alive. Anakin is not a twin, so they don't need to take him alive. They were under orders to kill him. I haven't read the book in a while, however, and this is from memory.
Personally, if Anakin turns out to be alive somehow, Star Wars EU will lose ALL of the credibility it had left, which isn't a whole lot.
Originally posted by MFalls
Thanks for sticking up for me Arakyd but it's cool. If they don't want to tell me I'll just wait till I read the book. Havn't found out when they'll release Star by Star in paper back yet. Looked on Amazon but they have no listing of it coming to paper back yet. Any ways thanks again for all the responses. :)

Long strory short, when Coruscant is taken and the Vong are seizing the capital building Borsk stays in his office and waits until the whole place is filled with Vong and sets off a bomb, killing him, the second in command of the invasion, and about 25,000 vong. so there.

Frobi-Wan Kenobi
15 February 2002, 12:08 AM
SPOILERS

I was living a false hope. For those of my fellow believers out there who knew that Anakin Solo couldn't be dead he is. All though Dark Journey when they talked about Anakin's body I was waiting for him to hop up and ask who died. But the pyre scene confirmed it for me. Barring something like Jacen giving Anakin's soul his body (I know that this is a very fanciful delusion but I thought that Anakin was the greatest) not unlike Calista and the woman in love with the droid did in Children of the Jedi.

However I think that the culmination of this series will have a YV tranformed Jacen (who would be a killing machine) killing off his Uncle, mother, father and finally being stopped by his sister.

But those are my ideas. And they are probably incredibly wrong.

dctodd
19 February 2002, 03:13 PM
WARNING: DARK JOURNEY SPOILERS AHEAD!!!

Anakin is definitely dead. Dead like Qui-Gon. When you read Dark Journey, you'll see. After Star By Star, I really thought that maye he's still alive, but now there is no doubt in my mind as to the deadness of Anakin Solo. I won't tell you any more - I don't want to ruin it.

Tramp
25 February 2002, 09:30 AM
Hey MFALL, LIke I told Qwerty in another tread, if you want to keep up with what is going on without buying the Hardcover,, do what I do and read it in the store, then buy it in paperback when it comes out about 7 months later. Some stores, such as Barnes and Nobel and Media Play don't mind this. This way you can keep up with the story and buy the paperbacks as they come out.

BrianDavion
25 February 2002, 10:24 AM
the idea of Jacen being twisted by the Vong seems REAL possiable if you read the NJO source book.

fact is the last book in the NJO series is apparently called Jedi Heratic. I had orginally assumed said Heratic would be Kyp Durron, now I am convinced it'll be one of the Solo twins

Soontide
24 March 2002, 02:38 AM
As far as Anakin being dead or not quite dead, I have to go with the dead part. his body was burned in Dark Journey, so if he was alive, hes now dead. As far as Borsk Fey'lya's death, it was well done and honorable, he died trying to take his enemy out with him, took around 25K vong if I'm not mistaken. As far as exactly how he dies? you must read the book, otherwise, its not as much fun:D .
Anakin showed everyone else that even when there seems to be no hope, there alway is with the force. He showed the jedi that the vong were not immune to the force, just distanced from it. He showed that there were vong out there that might be sympathetic to the NR. He did alot for the galaxy. What he did will make a huge difference in the next books I think

AWingJock
19 April 2002, 09:50 AM
Ok, multiple points here so this might be a long rambling thread. Please bear with me. I haven't read the books, but I am trying to establish the histroy since I am being begged to run a SW campeighn. Anyone have a timeline?????

Second, when a light jedi dies, I thought their body dissapeared... Vader's didn't I know, but he still had DS points, if you will since he had just started atoning... The jedi that dies of poison in one of the books (Dark Tide II?) dissapears like Yoda... So any ideas why Anikin's body wouldnt do the same?8o

Tonda
19 April 2002, 11:35 AM
Wow I've found people that feel the same way about Anakin.

Unfortunately I now he's dead so there's no way they'll bring him back. But at the time I thought, No way, He just blinked out like that after being imbued with the Force. Then he's just dead. No way, even so, HE IS DEAD.

From what I deduce about dying Jedi, I think they have to have a special bond with the Force, something they optain through years of meditation and seclusion. Like Obi-Wan and Yoda, But then we have to look at how they died, Obi-wan sacrificing himself to Darth Vader and saving the rest of them. Then theres Yoda, He just layed down died then disapperaed. What ever the reason It hasn't exactly been explained.

As for Fey'la, Coruscant was attacked by the Vong and they took over the library witch Borsk detinated and blew himself and a lot of Vong up with. Hence Borsk sacrificed himself to make sure that the Records were destroyed while taking out a lot of Vong. Good guy.

AWingJock
20 April 2002, 07:55 AM
I wasn't debating if Anakin was dead or not. I just found it odd that they burnt him instead of him dissapearing, avter all the Twelik wasn't that strong or experienced in the force, and yet she dissapeard. Just wondering what everyone's take on that part of dying was with the light Jedi. As for the furball... Well I have to agree with Patton about being killed in war... I am sure someone knows what I am talking about too ;) But I don't want anyone to boot me off the forum for the... Colorful language hehehehe. Thanks for the input though. I am faaaaaaaaaaaaar from an expert on alot of things. You all are teaching me alot :D

Magik
22 April 2002, 01:42 AM
Perhaps NJO will wipe away all the old ties of SW, and about a New Era or maybe even the end of SW itself *shrugs* my view though is Anakin Solo was not as powerful as Anakin Skywalker. Also his death is pivotal to bringing about one of the YV Beliefs: One is their Twin Gods. One is Light, One is Dark. This would be Jaina & Jacen. Also one twin must kill another. Through her actions, Jaina, if he is truly dead, killed Jacen. Now we have a couple more books to go and the rest of year four to complete but if anything, it will either be Luke or Lando to die, IMHO. Maybe even Leia. However, If Luke dies then that explains why Leia feels the force guiding her more to the Jedi Order. Perhaps to replace him in the Circle is Now Complete Scenarios through out SW. Both Movies & EU.

EmprorsHand03
1 May 2002, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by AWingJock
Second, when a light jedi dies, I thought their body dissapeared... Vader's didn't I know, but he still had DS points, if you will since he had just started atoning... The jedi that dies of poison in one of the books (Dark Tide II?) dissapears like Yoda... So any ideas why Anikin's body wouldnt do the same?8o

First off, not every Jedi disappears after they die, for example Qui-Gon in Episode I, Miko Reglia, Wurth Skidder, and only "true" Jedi Masters die, Ulic Qel-Droma, Obi-Wan Kenobi, and Yoda. What constitutes a "true" Jedi Master, I don't know, but it might come down to this they have to achieve an understanding of the Force that allows them to become one with the Force. This is what troubles Jacen in NJO, he wants to find out what the Force's true meaning is, he is not trying to do this because he is afraid to die because any Jedi that is afraid to die is succeptible to the dark side.

Second, I don't know what's up with Daeshara'cor disappearing after she was poisoned by the amphistaff. It is said in Star by Star that she wasn't even a Jedi Knight when she died, so for her to become one with the Force means that she must have had an understanding of the Force that Anakin didn't possess.

Last, Darth Vader did become one with the Force, in the novelization of Return of the Jedi, Luke says something about putting the empty armor of Darth Vader on the bier and burning it.:raised:

Nova Spice
1 May 2002, 05:28 PM
See, I think we are all missing a valuable point..or rather overlooking one....the NJO's goal or theme has yet to be revealed much less accomplished and I imagine that many of our questions will be revealed as more books come out and the Jacen and Jaina situation beomes more clear.

SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS!

I have read a few excerpts from Traitor, the NJO novel after the upcoming Rebel Stand, and Jacen Solo is alive......he's not down for the count yet.......appears that he has received some help from an unlikely source.......