PDA

View Full Version : Friends want to play

Strikerkc
23 January 2002, 05:27 PM
Hey, i've played many rpg games made by White-wolf games, with an after school group where i live.

I got a hold of the star wars d20 core rule book, and frankly i'm hooked, the cool thing is that all my friends seem to like it to.

I'm not gona try to get my friends to stop playing the White wolf after school because 1) we all have fun playing it 2)my friend that DM's the white wolf games baught all the books with his own money (a VERY hefty investment) and 3) i've never DM'ed a game like this in my life!!8o

the weird thing is that my friends all seem to only want to play it if im in on it or are in charge some how (im the expert on Star wars in my group of friends, with the Dm for White wolf our magic and myth guru, and our other friend being the fantasy buff)

I keep telling them that i need to play as a PC in the game first before i can start up a game, and right now i just don't have the time or the blessing of my parants to start a completly new hobie. I was hopping to play A LOT over the summer by finding a group that plays like once or twice a week, then i could start up a game of my own.......................

what do you all think?

i really would "like" to start my own game but i don't know if i could pull it off well with out having played as a PC first..............

is that something you all recomend to do or do most people start out as DM's?:?

Kas'ir Faywind
23 January 2002, 06:23 PM
Theres always a first time for everything......If you are not sure on how to DM follow one the the starter campaigns (Rebellion source book has one and the living force campaign sounds decent) Even though i havent read it the NJO SB probably has one too. Also pick up on one of the mini adventures by WOTC at their site they have a few espeacially for new DM's. This could replace a need to be a player first.

Alternately there are Play by Email or the Forum type but i liked the person to person thing the most about rpg's.

Just follow a pretty basic campaign rule if you need an idea.
1)Big Bad Guy (possibly jedi if one is in the group)
2)Lots of lower minions to get rid of.
3)min quests through out (to get items they want or money)
4)Face off in bad guys lair

I just read through the rebellion source book and changed a few things around to make it an original campaign.

FallonCorsair
23 January 2002, 07:41 PM
I've been playing for years and I'm not sure if I'm ready to GM a game. I think you might want to play as a PC for awhile to start. This way, you can see how the GM runs the game and give yourself a basic idea of how the rules work.

kermit
23 January 2002, 08:43 PM
i'm running a starwars game at the moment, and i have never been a PC in one b4...but i have in plenty of other games

u just need to make sure u talk to the players about how the game is going, and how u r running things - if there is something they dont like, u might agree to change how its done (ive done this on a number of the rules in the d20 system with my party)

but the most important thing is that u (and the players) have fun doing it

kermit

Tony J Case, Super Genius
23 January 2002, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by Strikerkc
i really would "like" to start my own game but i don't know if i could pull it off well with out having played as a PC first..............

is that something you all recomend to do or do most people start out as DM's?:?

When I first started playing Star Wars - oh, 15 years ago, I had never really played RPGS before. I'd done some looking at the 1st ed. D&D rules - but that was about it.

So, here it was - me and a handful of friends bumbled our way through rules creation, and the first two moduals - suddenly it became my turn to GM, and we were out of planned, packaged games. I was thrown into the deep end with little to no instruction while someone stood on the dock and threw anvils at me.

Needless to say, I got better.

The end result, well - you can see my 1.5 decades of gaming experance come together on my web page. In fact, I'll probably be so bold as to direct you to: http://www.the-chaos-crew.com/swrpg/gm/resource/how2run.htm and http://www.the-chaos-crew.com/swrpg/gm/resource/how2gm.htm - a couple of quick essays I put together on running a sucessful game and how to GM.

Go forth and put this knowledge to use, my son.

Gulmyros
23 January 2002, 10:31 PM
Like you, I had the books and the knowledge and became the defacto GM. I'd been a player in ADnD games, but never ran a game in my life.

I did ok. Turns out I was WAY too generous with money, equipment, and experience awards in the beginning. If I ever thought something was neat, then I made sure one of the PCs wound up with it so it would get played. Heh, I don't do that anymore.

Before long the characters were too powerful. Sure, they thought they fought tooth and toenail to get everything (and I was pretty rough a couple of times).... but when you've got a character with a hand weapon strong enough to dent the hull of a Z-95 Headhunter [we went a little nuts with the equipment modification rules PLUS the jury-rigging stuff from Cracken's book] it was time to retire the characters and start over.

The second go at it was better. And the next time was better still.

So I say go for it. Grab the bull by the horns. If you mess up, so what? They'll be messing up right along with you. If they're your friends they'll be patient with you - because without you there is no game. :)

And if you can, try to pass on what you have learned, and maybe one of those players will take a turn as GM someday (probably WAY down the road) so you can be a player.

From where I sit, it's better to be a new GM and make mistakes than not play at all because you can't find a game.

Good luck with it. And if you need help, just come back here. We'll dish out more than you need - guaranteed.

:)

Gully

Paul Klein
24 January 2002, 05:42 AM
Friend, take a chance and GM. There is an adventure in the back of the rulebook. Just read that 2 or 3 times, become really familiar with it, and run it. If you make mistakes, so what? I'm sure you and your buddies will have fun anyway.

I guarentee you, after that first night, running that one adventure in the back of the rulebook, you will be 10 times better at GMing than before.

Take a chance, give it a shot.

And good luck :)

Dr_Worm
24 January 2002, 12:04 PM
If you have GMed anything before, and you have read the book inside and out, go for it. You will surely make mistakes, but most player are forgiving. Plan a quick advtenture or use one of ones from Gamer. Also there was a thread a while back that had a zip file that contained all of the pertinant charts from the book in Excell format. Print 'em out and use them instead of flipping through the book.

Have fun!

Strikerkc
24 January 2002, 12:36 PM
B) Thats it you people have convinced me, im gona GM a game:D

Jedi_Staailis
24 January 2002, 01:08 PM
I started as a GM with absolutely no RPG experience at all. I just picked up the book at a local store because it looked cool. My very first attempt at running a game was bad, mostly because I didn't know the rules well enough. I sat down and looked over them again, then made a cheat sheet with all of the important rules. The second game went much better.

Also, I'd have to disagree that you need a run a canned adventure. If you know Star Wars well, then you can probably come up with something that has the Star Wars feel just by thinking about your SW knowledge.

Getting enemies balanced with hero is the only disadvantage to making your own adventure. I'd recommend (at least at first) just bringing in hordes of cannon fodder. If the players kill them easily, bring in more more the next time. Eventually, you'll get the hang of balancing villians against PCs, and will be able to judge just what combination of enemies to use.

Good luck with your game!

DirkGreystoke
24 January 2002, 06:10 PM
I say go for it. You have have never GMed star wars before, but your friends have never played either. Even when I first started running SW games, and I had no idea what I was doing, everyone had lots of fun. Star Wars is special in that everyone knows a bit about it and can bring something to the table. Remember, the biggest rule is to have fun, not to be a rules stickler. Have fun with the game! Also, you have a good resource here if you have any questions as you go along. I use these people a lot and almost always get at least 3-4 good ideas that I can use. Good luck!

VixenofVenus
24 January 2002, 07:59 PM
There isn't much I know about life . . . but I do know that if you love something, you make time for it . . . it's the same for RPGs as it is for relationships, school, work, video games, family, religion, everything.

If you want to play another RPG with your friends, work a little harder at school and prove to your parents that you can handle another hobby. If you HEDW out there want a girlfriend, just get to know some girl that you like and go for it . . . if you want to leave the country and join the Taliban, admit it now and be sure to leave your name and address so we can hunt you down.
:)

J/K - But that's all there really is to it, you just gotta stop and make time!