PDA

View Full Version : Make a ship from scratch or modify a ship

Strikerkc
24 January 2002, 05:25 AM
I've been reading the ships of the galaxy book and have run in to a delima, im gona have a DM charactor that will later turn in to one of my PC charachtors, as a he is gona be a smal time smugler/solder that saves the players PC's in a star fight, i don't want him to have some HUGE freighter but i want him to have enough cargo space to make some minor income (enough for food and ship mantenance).

back to the above mentioned delima.............. make a new ship from scratch or take a ship from the ships book and modify it?

I'm leaning twords the modifyed Citadel Cruiser, but what do you all think?:raised:

Tem_Starrunner
24 January 2002, 06:09 AM
When I come up with new ships or vehicles I always take a ship template I like and modify it.

For example I'll take a YT-1300. Right away I want the engines, shields and hull better so I modify those. I want more cargo space so I remove a few passenger seats. I want more weapns so I add them. Now comes the big decision can all my modifications fit into the hull of a YT-1300. If everything can by reason bit it stays a YT if it can't well I have a new ship.

I'd suggest to you to use a custom build ship for your smuggler. Give a fast speed some good weapons and a sleek outer hull. Just my thoughts its up to.

Donovan Morningfire
24 January 2002, 06:30 AM
There's a web enhancement on the Wizard's Star Wars site for Starships of the Galaxy that has stats for the YT-1930. It's a pretty good all-around ship. Plenty of cargo, room for quite a few characters, and decent stats.

ZAT_albion
24 January 2002, 06:40 AM
i personally like the "tramp freighters" galaxy guide a lot..

it has about 20 different medium sized freighter complete with deckplans... stats at purchase and an example of a modified one... (stats and history)

Just wizzing through the book gives me some inspiration on what kind of modifications you can make... what sort of ship to create... what kind of layouts for the deckplan... etc...

Every ship in the book also has a short history of the companu that produces them and any minor defaults or added value.. like for instance that a certain ship comes equipped with a specific shield generator that is costly to replace because of it's exotic couplings and things like that...

I always trie to incorporate some of those personal quircks in self designed ships...

And the book is also to great to just pick on out of the list and start flying in it... :)

Dr_Worm
24 January 2002, 12:12 PM
Go for modification. You'll care more about your ship if you design it.

Here's an option that you may wnat to consider: Take a large starfighter...fitt it with armored security areas (internal or external)...and vualla...you have a armored courrier. I have one called Rock Steady that is a highly modified B-Wing. It has lost some of it's punch, but it is slightly faster and has a serious hull. I can provide stats if you like.

kermit
24 January 2002, 01:47 PM
have a look at some of the websites that r around

this one and DLOS are both very good for stats

Talonne Hauk
24 January 2002, 02:27 PM
I think in this case you can have your cake and eat it, too. There's no reason that you can't take another ship's stats, tweak them a little, and then call the result your own. In a galaxy as big as the one we're all supposedly playing in, starship manufacturers marketed toward niches, or went 180 degrees opposite, and produced a cheap, vanilla ship for the end customer to modify. The former type of manufacturer marketed towards the wealthy and elite, and the latter marketed towards the not-so-wealthy. The point is, with all these designs floating around, no matter what you tweak, you can make it your own. I've based plenty of designs on the YT-1300's stats, without ever calling it a YT-1300, because I don't want a few hundred Millenium Falcons flying around.

Kobayashi_Maru
24 January 2002, 04:21 PM
It was either #2 or #4 I can't remember, but it had some cool transports in it.

As far as modify or create, I would modify it is slightly easier and less expensive. But making one from scratch isn't that bad at all.

And the Y-1930 isn't bad at all!

Strikerkc
24 January 2002, 04:37 PM
:raised: never seen or let alone heard of a YT-1390, i know what they YT-1300, YT-2000 and YT-2400 are but not the YT-1390 please tell me what that is, along with any other YT's you know of..........

Jak Knife
30 January 2002, 11:26 AM
If you want instant recognition, modify. If you want something orginal and can put some time in to it (such as deck plans, drawing a picture and really making something specifically for this character) then design.
For recurring characters I put the extra work in to it and design something special. That sound like what you are doing, so if you have the time I suggest you do a compete work up of. But then again I like doing things like that, not all do.

So-Var Leet
1 February 2002, 07:41 AM
The YT-1930 is an excellent ship! My group used one in our last mission as out main mode of transportation. When you outfit that thing with some more shields, weapons, and systems, it's one good little ship. :D

Here is the link to the YT-1930 web enhancement from Wizards:

http://www.wizards.com/starwars/article.asp?x=sw20011115b_fleet&c=rpg

Converting to D6 shouldn't be very hard ... should it?

BrianDavion
1 February 2002, 10:52 AM
I'd go with the modified cidital cruiser... the cidital cruiser is "new" (as ijn we haven't seen one before the starship guide game out:) so it's fresh and not cliche... and save you trouble