PDA

View Full Version : Play as main charactors?

Strikerkc
24 January 2002, 05:33 AM
I haven't doen it yet, nore have i heard any one ells say that they where interested in playing as a main charachtor, but i figured that i should get some opinions before some one does.

so...... should people play as main charators?

Rigil Kent
24 January 2002, 06:06 AM
I'm not entirely sure I understand what you mean by main character. Once the game begins, all of the PCs ARE main characters. Are you referring to the Heroes of Yavin (Luke, Han, etc.?) They're pretty much secondary in my game or rather tertiary 'cause I don't believe they should be used that often.

Donovan Morningfire
24 January 2002, 06:26 AM
If you mean play as the heroes from the movies, then no way Jose. While it might be fun for a one-shot, the problem with doing a campaign as established heroes is that there will always be arguments about how such-and-such a person isn't playing the character the way they should be played.

Besides, it's sooooo much more enjoyable to watch a character you've created grow and succeed. Better yet, about the only person who knows best to play that character is you :D

Nazgul
24 January 2002, 06:29 AM
I don't know about playing main characters (i.e. Luke, Leia, Han, etc), if your interesting in living their lives and not violating the continuity they're pretty much stuck to following their fates and not much room for expansion. If you break the story arc, then well you're not really playing Star Wars. Personally I wouldn't do it or allow it, it seems to take all of the fun out of it, and their characters are already fully fleshed out so its not like you can give them anymore character depth. I always thought the idea was to develope things yourself and make the universe real to you and learn things though your experiences, give you a chance to help save the galaxy from the evil empire, and go to bed with a warm feeling (ok, so many be I've gone a bit overboard, but thats me, :D) But if you want to do, it go ahead and give it a try.

MadMysticMoose
24 January 2002, 07:39 AM
I wouldn't run a game where the players played established characters. It's too easy for things to get messy. Besides, then the players get less creative. I'm assuming you mean "main characters" as a way of describing the movie characters.

But I do believe that the players should have the same chances to create change, do good or evil on the same scale, as the established characters. In that sense, I try to make sure my players feel their characters are the main characters of that particular game. I wouldn't bring in Luke Skywalker to save the day or force them to try and measure up to Han Solo. They should be able to be as big as the movie characters, to be as important in the game universe. They shouldn't be overshadowed by established characters.

Strikerkc
24 January 2002, 08:38 AM
thats what i figured the every one would think, but i wanted to know what wwas thought before one of my players came up with the idea and i needed to wing it, just saving my self some trouble
:D

Nerpine the Verpine
24 January 2002, 10:55 AM
Maybe instead of having them play main characters, have them interact briefly with the main characters from time to time. Han Solo could come into the game once in a while to work with them for a VERY short while. Or better yet, they are given missions by one of the established characters, played by the GM naturally. This, of course, is limited. You still don't want to violate the storyline already in place, but a creative GM and a cooperative group of PC's can probably pull it off.

DirkGreystoke
24 January 2002, 06:13 PM
I did this once before and it was a lot of fun. However, I did not play a series of adventures in a campaign. It was more like, there is this lost tale of Han and Chewbacca on planet X before A New Hope, or a minor adventure with Luke Skywalker just before Jedi. It is a fun thing to do as a change of pace once in a while, but i would not recommend doing it every week.

VixenofVenus
24 January 2002, 07:47 PM
Never never never never!!!

I only let characters run players they've created . . . wait . . . strike that, reverse it.

If a player sits down and runs Luke for an adventure . . . I will always be able to find something that he or she did wrong, just because each of us have a different perspective as to who those characters really are . . . because we all see a little bit of us inside them, and we want that little bit to shine through a bit more.

An example would be how my friend, who is quite serious and has a short temper at times sees Chewbacca as a similar person (which he is at times), yet I see Chewy as an easy-going comedian (which he is at times) . . . and if I were to play Chewy, he would be more comedian and easy-going than short tempered and serious . . . which wouldn't truly be Chewy.

Jan Tolbara
24 January 2002, 08:06 PM
If the players want to play a single session as those characters, it may be alright. I do not recommend anything longer than that. Encourage your players to create their own characters for something longer than a one-night adventure. In the long run, it will be more fulfilling for them and you.

Tony J Case, Super Genius
24 January 2002, 09:24 PM
Naw - I wouldnt do it even if the oppertunity presented itself. Theres just no way that I could remain in chracter and acting against the grain (well, I might be able to pull off Jar-Jar). Bottom line, I wouldnt have fun.

I'd much rather take my own creation and put them through his paces. Much more rewarding that way.

Jan Tolbara
24 January 2002, 10:15 PM
I don't know. It could be done for an introduction to roleplaying using the Star Wars RPG, maybe. Give new players familiar characters to help give them an idea on what to do.

I usually play with experienced players, so I don't ever do this. But, I could see doing it with fresh newbies.