PDA

View Full Version : Slavery and Enslaved Species

Calanthe
25 January 2002, 04:04 AM
Hey all,

I'm in a campaign where the PCs are part of a rebel cell on a planet in which slaves can be bought. One of their purposes of the cell is to buy slaves and take them to a meeting point to transfer to a rebel safe-world. The GM hasn't run this aspect of the game much, though, and I'm thinking of putting together an adventure to further this aspect of our mission.

So I have a few questions....

1) Can any species be enslaved? Or only individuals of certain species? For instance, in general, Wookies and Mon Cals are assumed to be enslaved, but not all Twilek. And what about humans? Initially I would have thought no, but since tPM, I'm now considering the possibility.

2) Which species are shown (source) or likely (opinion) to be enslaved in the Rebellion Era?

3) In GG9, chapter 5 Guilds, it mentions that Imperial Decree A-SL-4557.607.232 legalized procurement of slaves under "certain conditions", but doesn't explain what these conditions are. Any insight into this, or other rulebooks that talk more about it?

4) I did a search on SWRPGNetwork's encyclopedia for slave and came up with multiple helpful references. One of which mentioned that slaves are generally implanted with a device that can be used to either knock them unconscious or kill them outright. The devices work on a particular frequency that I assume only the owner knows. How big would the transmitter be? How far would it work? What happens when a slave is sold--is the particular frequency of the implant changed so that the old owner can't kill him/her?

I've posted enough questions for now... Thanks!

Cal

BrianDavion
25 January 2002, 01:28 PM
the Kytros trap (which I am rereading now and noticed this) has an intresting passage regarding slavery... it talks about how Dirt Wessiz was forced to aid General Dicorate... the passage said "because the Kytros virus attacked non-humans the empire used human slave labor for the project"

my suspision is that the empire makes use of political prisoners for slave labor, AND has some entire species used for slave labor.. HOWEVER this is simply imperial policy.. whome the EMPIRE uses for slaves etc won't nesscarily be the policy of a Hutt Gangster

Talonne Hauk
25 January 2002, 10:38 PM
I believe West End put out an accessory called Tales From the Fringe. (I might not be correct on the title. It's been years since I've looked at it, and I'm playing d20 now.) In it, there was a Sullustan captain of a bulk freighter who would buy up shiploads of slaves, splice up fake holos of these slaves in gladiatorial to the death combat, drop these slaves off on safe worlds, and sell the holos on the black market to finance the whole cycle. It sounds like your GM might have gotten inspiration from that. But any species can be enslaved in Star Wars. Remember Anakin was a slave, and he was human. Sure, it was pre-Empire, but it's a safe bet that the long arm of the Empire's law doesn't extend everywhere, so if you want a planet where anyone can be a slave, you have it. Besides, the Empire will run anyone in for a minor infraction of the law, (if the local Imperial Moff or Governor feels like it), just to boost up the local prison population. Once they have these inmates in place, it's the same as slaves.

BrianDavion
26 January 2002, 05:24 PM
well for arguements sake I wouldn't be suprised to hear that Darth Vader himself has gone to considerable lenghts to get rid of people enslaving humans... in FACT Vader may be partially responsiable for the reason why non-humans get enslacved more... perhaps in the outerrim in places like Tatooine HUMANS where the perfered slave critters..

Talonne Hauk
27 January 2002, 12:11 AM
Well, except Darth Vader, being the epitome of evil, was out for himself. I doubt if he cared for anyone else anymore. But maybe. Luke could feel his struggle, right?

Tony J Case, Super Genius
27 January 2002, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by Calanthe
1) Can any species be enslaved? Or only individuals of certain species? For instance, in general, Wookies and Mon Cals are assumed to be enslaved, but not all Twilek. And what about humans? Initially I would have thought no, but since tPM, I'm now considering the possibility.

Legally, Humans are on the "no-no" list. However, since when has the Empire ever been big on legality? They may not call it slavery in the paperwork - indentured servitude, or just simply owing your soul to the Company Store - but the general concept is the same.

2) Which species are shown (source) or likely (opinion) to be enslaved in the Rebellion Era?

I know that wookiees were big on the shopping list. Gammorians and t'wleks, by the very natures of their cultures, also common on the slave market. There were probably dozens more, but I'd bet that those were the top sellers.

3) In GG9, chapter 5 Guilds, it mentions that Imperial Decree A-SL-4557.607.232 legalized procurement of slaves under "certain conditions", but doesn't explain what these conditions are. Any insight into this, or other rulebooks that talk more about it?

If I were the Empire, I'd want to keep the rules vague too. That way 'certain conditions' would really translate to 'whenever we want' without saying so.

4) I did a search on SWRPGNetwork's encyclopedia for slave and came up with multiple helpful references. One of which mentioned that slaves are generally implanted with a device that can be used to either knock them unconscious or kill them outright. The devices work on a particular frequency that I assume only the owner knows. How big would the transmitter be? How far would it work? What happens when a slave is sold--is the particular frequency of the implant changed so that the old owner can't kill him/her?

It's been a couple of years since I'd read the original Han Solo trilogy (the Brian Daley one), so I don't quite remember the details - but go check out Han Solo's Revenge for all the skinny on slavers. In the first half of the book, Han hooks up with one, and there are all kinds of details there - slaver collars, the control units, how slavers operate and so on.

Of course with as big a universe as we have to play in, anything goes just about. Whatever you do is probably right.

BrianDavion
27 January 2002, 04:11 PM
the device talked about relates to a quote from the Phantom Menace where Anakin and Shima are discussing the slavery

Calanthe
28 January 2002, 06:04 AM
I definitely agree that ANYONE could be enslaved depending upon where you go. However, I was looking more for the official Imperial take on it, and not what pirates or Hutts may be doing illegally.

A few private posts said that as GM, I should make it up however I wanted to suit my adventure--but I really wanted to see whether there were any more details out there on the few things I had read in order to make things as "official" as possible.

A few responses pointed out that even Humans are likely to be enslaved, but then went on to say that in actuality they would probably be political prisoners or such.

I agree with this. I think the Empire, with it's human superiority complex, would probably never allow humans to be legally enslaved, but that they definitely have nothing against using prisoners as forced labor or research "participants" when the need arises.

Thanks for all the helpful replies and the leads for more info!

Cal