PDA

View Full Version : Temptations of the Darkside

Ash
25 January 2002, 10:38 AM
I am GMing a d20 campaign and I have an incredibly devoted and noble Jedi that's only received a single DSP in an attempt to save himself from certain death. I have been trying to subert him more to the Darkside as he enters his knighthood but have been having difficulty coming up with different ways the Darkside may tempt him. I've read the excellent ideas in the Darkside article on this site but I was looking for more examples of how some GMs have managed to squeeze Force-users into making those difficult decisions to walk down the path towards the light or the dark. Any suggestions, personal experiences or campaign ideas would be more than welcome! Thanks everyone!

VixenofVenus
25 January 2002, 12:28 PM
I changed the Fear skill to a point where it much more tempts players to the DS.

Instead of choosing between a DSP and the penalty, entice them to take the DSP.

Now they either take the penalty or . . . they take a DSP, embracing their Fear and earning a +2 to Attack for the duration of the Fear Skill.

Just watch . . . they'll be hip-deep in DSPs before you know it. Also, GMs can truly be evil and say at certain times, "you know, you could call on the darkside and get a few more dice for that force-point."

In one game, I talked a pacifict Ithorian Force Adept not only to call on the dark side, but to call on the dark side and use Force grip. 2 DSPs in one round (if only it had been an innocent, then I would be a used car saleswoman).

By the way, Mods, I just noticed this was in the General Forum . . . and he's talking d20, and so am I . . . you might want to move this to the D20 Forum

Lexor
25 January 2002, 12:53 PM
In my campaign one of my Jedi swtiched to the darkside by seeking out the darke clone of Jorus B'both, however he wanted to change.

So...

These are a few of the missions in which he racked up a lot of DSP's:

Demon Moon: He went to the the "Demon Moon" in search of the dark masters tomb buried there this is described in the Darkside Handbook btw, anyways, he went into the tomb and was forced into three tests that required Will saving throws. Every test he passed, he got a DSP and finally he passed the last test where we got 2 DSP's. (The test are pictures of awful things like you parents getting killed and stuff) Whe he came out he had a lot more Dark Side experience and a Sith Holocron.

*Note: This mission is for a fairly strong and daring chracter.

Study Time: He also went to the dark cave in Dagobah to track down some lost Jedi artifacts from Yoda's hut. When he went through the cave he immediatly had to pass a few similar will saving throws. That was a fun mission. The creatures there are not friendly.

Byss: Finally, the Dark Jedi and his band wen to Byss to try to track down something (ie. artifact, another dark sider) All of the force users gained a DSP and gained others as the moved throughout the
planet.

*Final Note: These are all extreme missions that take a long time to finshand are meant to teach the hero something about the Dark Side.
So make them wothwhile.

Nazgul
25 January 2002, 01:43 PM
Moridin put together a very nice guide on how he does it, its in the SWRPGNetwork: HowTo's: Tempting Characters (http://www.swrpgnetwork.com/entry.php?id=625). I really haven't had any problems or really have to force them on to the path of the Dark Side, but a rather good ploy is to have one of their relatives kidnapped, and have the kidnapper perform some, shall we say rather shady service. There should be plenty of Dark Side points abound.

Kobayashi_Maru
25 January 2002, 02:23 PM
I usually ask a PC when it is created "What family do you have?" and take notes from there.

A family member in trouble the same time a major galactic event hangs on the horizon, is a great way to tempt a Jedi. A story arc like Xanatos, former padawan to Qui-gon is another good method. My gm had my twin sister steal a great sith sword artifact and begin her decent to hte darkside. Which I believe is my next true challenge; find my sister, retrieve the artifact and convert or kill my sister.

Which makes me think, we are twins; are stats are almost identical; we would be a hard pair to beat; both 600 xp away from lvl 9 jedi. HHHMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If they have no family, usually friends will do. Maybe the party or others need the help of the Jedi against the wishes of the Council, Master or Code.

Maybe you can just appeal to his bleeding heart! A people whose suffering is ignored by the Jedi due to some "Galactic Event". A people whose suffering could be directly effected by a Jedi's power and inter-action. Even love (or the sudden lost of) can lead you to the dark path!!!!

Donovan Morningfire
25 January 2002, 08:00 PM
Just a couple of quick points (I won't go into examples since I don't know much about the character).

One) No-Win Scenarios are always good; the ol' damned if you do, damned if you don't. Only if the PC gets really inventive could he avoid a DSP. Forcing a choice of the lesser of two evils is good, but don't overdo it (or the player loses that illusion of free will)

Two) Just remember, the Dark Side doesn't play fair. If you spot a chance to trick the PC, go for it.

Fred Getce
26 January 2002, 02:42 AM
You want to have some killer GM fun?

Have the characters become great friends with an NPC, than in a truly epic adventure, have the NPC friend be killed by his or her mortal enemy right in front of the Jedi.

Than the NPC's mortal enemy surrenders to the Jedi and see if the Jedi can't control him or herself from taking vengence. Have the enemy egg him or her on, fully believing that the PC would never go against the Jedi code.

See how long it takes before they say screw it.

BrianDavion
28 January 2002, 04:27 PM
perhaps you are not using the right type of seduction... there are a variaty of ways to tempt someone to the darkside. turning to the darkside often depends on how someone role plays... metagame thinking is the greatest enemy of the dark side.

still there are a HUGE array of ways..one possiability is to have a darksider start instructing him, temp in him give him afew VERY subtle signs the teacher is evil... give the guy a EXP bonus while he's learning under this guy and track the DSP without his knowladge until he gathers a fair bit of em... eneugh to become tainted by the dark side

Bombaatu
28 January 2002, 07:24 PM
In a particularly nastly plotline I'm cooking up, my Jedi PC locates a Jedi Master who disappeared at the start of the purges.

A: the master is the PC's grandmother.
B: the master has been driven insane by isolation and grief over what has befallen the Jedi order. She is deep in the dark side, and not even aware of it... :D

SO: our Jedi starts learning the "proper usage" of the Force from a trusted source, then has to make a decision when her true nature is revealed...

Nazgul
29 January 2002, 04:15 AM
Originally posted by Bombaatu
B: the master has been driven insane by isolation and grief over what has befallen the Jedi order. She is deep in the dark side, and not even aware of it... :D

Actually a long time ago on this board some one had a really cool idea that's a variant of this (I have no idea whose idea this was!): Was to have a Jedi develope a multiple personality disorder, where the dominate personality was your typical good Jedi, and the other personality was that of a Dark Side user, not your full blown evil god being, etc, but just evil enough. Where ever the party went things always turned out bad and no one was able to figure-out what was going on. Hehe, :D