PDA

View Full Version : SW galaxi map

Rigo
26 January 2002, 12:07 PM
i need help. somone have the Katol outback book? i need the scan(oups copyright?) of the map inside that book, if somone have it may you give me a scan?

this will help me, if somone have any other map of area or sector if you send to me this will help, i do(i do it but not so fast i want) a galactique map of SW univers with what i find.

i get some pics here and on other site to complete a map that will be i hope the more detailled. i do it with Autocad, if somone know how use it , if you want you may help me.

tx for help, if i complete the map(this will take some time.....) i will put it on the net for every one . if we are lot of ppl, we may have a good result.:)

Sabre
26 January 2002, 01:44 PM
A galaxy map in Autocad? Sounds like a lot of trouble. I think you wouldd be better off using MS Paint, or preferrably an actual painting program like photoshop (It is cheaper, too!). CAD is a bit complex for such a task, particularly since none of the maps list actual 3 dimensional coordinates for any of the stars.
Still, if you are resigned to using CAD to make a galaxy map, best of luck to you.

Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn
26 January 2002, 05:39 PM
I'll do it!

It'll be done later tonight...

Strikerkc
26 January 2002, 05:54 PM
mabye this isn't the sort of thing your looking for, or you need one bigger that you can draw on, but if i remember corectly in the starship section of the d20 star wars core rule book the is a star map of the entire star wars universe, i find it EXTREAMLY usfull when i need to figure somthing out in a story, like what planet a star ship would be able to high tale it to when it's low on gas and running from corascant, if i didn't have that map, i could have had it land on Mon Calimarey wich is acroos the entire star map

Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn
26 January 2002, 08:03 PM
I think he has that one, but the old WEG RPG supplements provided detailed sector maps... BTW, my Kathol Sector map is up:

http://www.geocities.com/lt_cmdr_thrawn/katholmap.jpg

Add a '?' at the end of that if it doesn't work. Or just copy + paste it.

Beware, very large size image, filesize = 638kb

Rigil Kent
27 January 2002, 07:40 AM
You sure about that, LCdr Thrawn? I get the "Page Not Available" error.

Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn
27 January 2002, 09:19 AM
for me... click on the link and when it says 'file not found', add a question mark after the addy and press enter/return.

Rigo
28 January 2002, 11:55 AM
tx for map

when i say with CAD it is because i want to creet a map with all hyperroad, integret tapani sector etc... inside the map. we may zoom at infinit with this kind of program, to resum:

-draw a galaxi map with the principal Hyper route(includ systeme and time to reach each)

-include all other sector map that i may find on the net (i put the pics on CAD and redraw on it, after i scale it for purpose, and integret it) inside that map.

-print and do draw files for each sector

-convert them into more standard format, like jpeg etc

if somone know Autocad he will understand what i talke about. i know that space is 3D but i will do it in 2d for clarity. with other draw program(the few a know) you may not zoom and integrate more small tink inside the draw except Autocad.

i only want to know if i may have map and/or help to do that

Kas'ir Faywind
28 January 2002, 04:12 PM
so you are actually gonna do it in a .cad format? so that means we have to attain Autocad (somehow) inorder to view the actual times for hyperspace travel you add?

Rigo
28 January 2002, 06:27 PM
yes, for what i have do(not very advanced). but i do it to convert it after i complete it in standart format(jpeg, gif etc).

why i want to do with CAD is to do all map in one big map, you may not wright enough small with other programm(i tink for the one a know) it is because i may do the galaxi map(like the one in some NJO book) is to put sector in the area where they are. mayb it is difficult to understand(the personne that know CAD will understand more easly) not i tink person is stupide, it is just that my english is not so good to give you lot of detail.

i want only know

-if ppl may give me map

-if ppl wnat to help me

loudanddeep
29 January 2002, 01:13 PM
I understand the values of a vector based map (as opposed to raster, or bitmap, graphics).

However, I am using Visio to make my map.
This is a more common program than Autocad, and I can work on it at both work and home (I have visio and a big plotter at work).

Vector based maps have a lot of good features:
scalability, labels, filtering etc.

I can also export to JPG if necessary....

When I get time, I will finish my map....sigh..
:o

32 sectors and 150 planets and counting....

dp

Rigo
29 January 2002, 01:32 PM
Intersting it is possible to find this program on the net, if yes where?

may have a idea of your map, maybe we may echange some info.

Strikerkc
29 January 2002, 04:03 PM
if your looking for a free version of a file you can find just abpout any trial vresion of any thing at www.downloads.com

Jak Knife
30 January 2002, 05:18 AM
Originally posted by loudanddeep

However, I am using Visio to make my map.
This is a more common program than Autocad, and I can work on it at both work and home (I have visio and a big plotter at work).

Vector based maps have a lot of good features:
scalability, labels, filtering etc.
dp
To get off the subject, I have heard of Autocad but never Visio. What areas it is used in?

Back to the subject, can you give us a tatse of what your map looks like at this point?

loudanddeep
30 January 2002, 03:40 PM
1 - Visio:
Visio is a piece of software used for making charts and diagrams. Similar to power point, but about 100 times more powerful.

It is very flexible, and allows you to do a lot of cool stuff. There are a lot of symbol libraries out there, from office furniture to case use diagrams (business flow chart stuff).
I made some of my own symbols for stars, space stations, sector capitols etc.

It is a vector based program, meaning that it is not a picutre, but a composition of shapes and objects ; text, points, lines, boxes, etc.
This is why it can scale, and you can assign info to the objects; this star is on the layer for Sector X, only print sector X etc.
It is actually very easy to use...

2 - My map.
I have been really busy with school and other stuff recently, so have not had much time to work on my map.
It is of the outer and mid rim area between the Rimma Trade route, and the Corellian Run. I have about 150 systems on it, and about 30 sectors. it is far from done. Most major trade routes are on it, as are some nebula's etc.

I will try to remember to make a JPG (visio can export to jpg) and put it on my website this week.

It is not super detailed, my party just wanted something to give the campaign more ....structure.
The party is a group of rebel friendly sumgglers a few years before SW4.
The party likes being able to read the news (My holonet news on my website) and being able to see the area on a map, then go there...
About half my adventures take place that way...the other half happen regardless of where the party happens to be...

email me if you have any other questions...

dp

Durian Keldrona
31 January 2002, 09:08 AM
I have Visio and it would be cool to have a visio version :)

loudanddeep
1 February 2002, 12:36 PM
Ok, I finally got a more recent version of my map up on my campaign webpage.

Of course, my players wont look at it, but you know how that goes...

Cut Scene : To the weekly gaming session.
Player 1: Hey what is up with this new stuff....
Player 2: Uh, yeah, and what happened last week...
GM: Remember that email about reading the web page...
Player 1: Why should we do that when we can just ask you.
Player 2: Yeah, I know you emailed the synopsis to us last week, but I did not bother to read it...so where are we?
GM: You know the question is not why I play these games, but why I play them with you guys....

I tried to put a link directly to my map, but for some reason, that did not work.

Here is a link to my Campaign Page, just scroll down to the section which is called Where we are and then Click on Preview of New Campaign Map.
Link to the Home of the Bluelight Campaign (http://www.geocities.com/loudanddeep/sw_campaign.htm)

Of course, I would rather you go to my web site and actually look for it, but hey, if my players dont....
Dave's Star Wars Gaming Page. (http://www.geocities.com/loudanddeep/sw_main.htm)

Again, the map is NOT DONE YET.
Also, it may be hard to read, otherwise it would be REALLY HUGE.

leave me feedback if you can...

DP

grizzly
26 February 2002, 04:04 AM
The fastest and easiest way I found to map the SW galaxy was to buy the first issue of the SW Fact Files. It's one of those weekly collector series "magazines" for want of a better term. It's available in the UK and Australia (worth the AUD$2-first issue only- just for the map). I'm not sure about availabilty in the US and Canada, have a look at SW.com they have a link to the main publishers site, which might be able to help you more there.
The map itself is 88cms x 57cms (34.65" x 22.44") and has just about everything from the Jedi Apprentice series books through to the NJO and also has a Galactic Gazetteer for well known routes and worlds.

kermit
26 February 2002, 09:17 PM
very cool map dave

only comment - it would be nice to have hyperspace travel times on routes

kermit