PDA

View Full Version : Using Legos?

Lord Kjeran
26 January 2002, 02:18 PM
Chello!

Just curious as to whther anyone elso uses Legos in their games as an alternative to minis or action figures.

With the easy availablity and lots of Trade Fed Droids, it's loads o' fun!

And affordable!

Aaron B'Aviv
26 January 2002, 03:27 PM
I've used them. I can't draw, and most of my players can't, so it's simple and quick to give them a bunch of Legos and tell them to build their characters. Not only does it force them to think about the physical appearance of their characters, it also doubles as a token, as you said.

I don't know if anyone saw, but in Star Wars Gamer a while back they showed a group of gamers which had built a modified freighter using the Lego Millennium Falcon, and all their players were built out of Lego. The picture highlighted a problem- not many alien species are built in Lego- but if you have any imagination, that's not a problem. We've handled quarrens with magic markers and built a rather interesting Ithorian.

Rebel Scum
30 January 2002, 10:02 AM
My group did this from the beginning. We found that they are the perfect size for a grid of 1 inch squares. With a little imagination and some extra sets you can make some of the aliens. My little sister just put a second yellow cylindar on top of her figure to make it a cerean and it worked pretty well.

Hopefully when lego releases their episode II figures there will be more aliens. I'm really hoping for Greedo and Bossk characters so I can have a rodian and trandoshan.

check out http://www.fbtb.net for more star wars lego fun.

Sabre
30 January 2002, 10:40 AM
*clip*
SOrry.
Wrong one.
I used to do use legos. We would use the little peg things to measure movement distance. It worked!

VixenofVenus
30 January 2002, 11:45 AM
I tried bringing legos once . . . but everyone just wanted to play with em.

DirkGreystoke
30 January 2002, 09:45 PM
This is a great idea. I would never have thought of that. Do you guys use the ships too or just the little figures?

Nazgul
31 January 2002, 05:21 AM
I pretty much just use the little people. The ships are nice, but sometimes they are just too big for what your looking for. Besides you can use the other LEGO non-Star Wars people for other things. If you have a bad guy: use the evil ones from the Adventure sets (The little Nazi one looks pretty good, after all not all bad-guys look like the Emperor or Vader). If you have an explosives expert, you can use the stick on dynamite from the explorers. If you encounter some primitives while you are off exploring a planet they are always the Island natives from the Pirate sets. For Darktroopers you can use some of the heavy knights from the castle sets. The only problem is that its really hard to acquire a bunch on Stormtroopers (without getting really expensive, granted you can acquire herds of battle-droids but its just not the same without three dozen sormtroopers).

Its always worked out rather well. :D

Dr_Worm
31 January 2002, 11:38 AM
We have used the little guys too, but we stick them on a flat 2x2 for better stability. Otherwise we kept knocking them over. We never used the ships, but i have been known to make modles of walls for cover, and tripod mounted guns and the like.

Nazgul
31 January 2002, 01:50 PM
Actually depending upon the types of blasters they're carrying you can size the weapons appropriately. For the MP blaster I alway let Nerpine use a Pirate's long rifle, everyone else gets the little pistols (I don't really like their version of the blasters, but each to his own).

Actually come to think of it I did let them use the speeder bikes. With the new mini-sets we finally get Imperial Officers!, :p

Tao
2 February 2002, 05:16 AM
We used legoes for a while... then we moved on to the pieces from the Star Wars Monopoly game... and now we're finally starting to use the reeal things.

Oly
7 February 2002, 08:06 AM
Originally posted by Tao
We used legoes for a while... then we moved on to the pieces from the Star Wars Monopoly game... and now we're finally starting to use the reeal things.

The miniatures from the Monopoly game were from the same moulds as the old West End Game miniatures. If you look at the C3-PO model there's even a cut in the base and his hand in a position for R2 mini to stand next to him.

Regards,

Oly

Strikerkc
7 February 2002, 06:34 PM
i love legos, but i prefer somthing a little less cubic.

being the geek that i am, i have aquired multiple sets if the little 2cm tall plastic micro-machines charachtors. Each set comes with about 12 figures with some figures doing diferent things, like 3 of the 12 kneeling, 3 more running, 3 more standing, 3 more walking, etc. the sets i have are of echo base troops from hoth witch personaly are my favorites. they also have imperial officers with sets of grey unifores, and a set of black unifores (12 each).

for ships, i again turn to micro-machines with their miniatures of just about every ship out there..... some special sets come with a few special charachtors like a rebel piolet (Wedge) female jedi (mara jade) blue skined captian (thrawn) etc,
i got small models of sail bardges, YT-1300's, slave-one ships, even got one of lady luck and two speeder bikes with removable luke's and leia's

but its just not the same without three dozen sormtroopers

so far i don't have any storm trooper ones but i do vaugly remember seeing sets of them, i'm mentaly kicking my self for not having bought them way back then (i bought about all this stuff at the age of 8 or so :D )
the main problem with this method however is availability......... at all the "geek" stores comic shops card imporiums etc, that i have been to..... i have been told that because those products wern't selling to well here in america...... they sent them all to canada8o

one guy said he was sent pictures of entire isles filled with the things at toy stores across canada....

so for any one that like the sound of this method you better live in canada, or just hope that interest in episod II brings all the old stuff out of storage and in to the toy stores.....

Doc Carlton
10 February 2002, 03:23 PM
Legos are nice, since for the most part they aren't too expensive and easy to find. If you can still find them, try using the old Galoob Micro Machines. They're great for space combat and you can even get less well known ships like BlastBoats and Z-95 Headhunters. Unfortunately, Hasbro bought Galoob out and Micro Machines are no longer in production but you should be able to find them on E-bay.

Another thought is to use the newer Kenner/Hasbro Star Wars "big" figures but that could become pricey after a while. The figures DO come with actual weapons and equipment and such.

Hope this helps!

frozenjedi
12 February 2002, 07:56 AM
my group has been using lego characters of late , and even one of the ships - the lambda shuttle.

its pretty great when someone comes in after a week and has their character all customized for play ... the small sets from episode 1 are great . plenty of lightsabers , and battledroids !

currently my gm is building an ATAT . should we be worried ? B)

DrPhineas
18 February 2002, 07:07 PM
Anyone have any ideas on how to make a Lego Gotal? I've wracked my brain, but I can't come up with an good idea.

Thanks,
John

gmjabreson
25 May 2006, 05:42 AM
I haven't used the legos to date, but have used the Micro Machines. If lucky you can still find them being sold by people in flea markets and in some peddler's malls.

Tonyx
25 May 2006, 11:33 AM
Man there are some good old threads on this site . . . I wish I had time to go through them all.

I have loved Legos for most of my life. I thought years before they came out with Star Wars Legos that they needed to. But that is besides the point. I have never used them in the RPG. I think that I might want to do that at some point. I will have to discuss it with my group some. It could make those pesky battle scenes more intersting for sure.

Jaggard
26 May 2006, 06:32 PM
there used to be a star wars legos customs community out there somewhere. people used to make all the aliens and what not. I don't have access to online from home (where all my links are) but I used to love being a part of that community. I've made Kaminoans and others with parts. The newer set have parts you can use. Wookies, hutts and Gamorreans, toydarians, and some of the fod racers, Bib fortuna, Geonosians, (Landos copiolot in RotJ) all have representations in existing kits and you can create so many more with the existing parts, a little creativity or full scale femo clay and decal application.

There was even a guy who for a while was making (casting) bowcatsers and blasters that looked more like the real thing then backward megaphones, for sale online.

Tonyx
26 May 2006, 07:33 PM
yeah, I just need the money to get them is all . . .

Jaggard
26 May 2006, 07:45 PM
From bricks to Bothans is the customs site and out there somewheres they have a site like e-bay that deals solely in lego and compatible set peices.

I got 20 dart maul heads for a few cents a peices (not counting international shipping for the one supplier.

I first found it by typeing brick-bay as it was mentioned by a customiser on a differant site. That's not it's actual name by the way. google up a search for legos for sale by peice. (preferably spelled correctly)

gmjabreson
27 May 2006, 04:48 AM
good god, I revived the thread from the dead, but didn't realize it would gain this much responce. I have a bunch of the store bought sets. waiting to save up time to build the Tie Interceptor. The only set I am missing of the original trilogy is the Falcon. Couldn't find it anywhere until I didn't have enough for it, since it was usually going for 100 plus tax. But I'm sure with all the sets that I've got from growing up, I could probably build just about anything.

Right now I'm working on constructing the Landing Platform from Endor to go with my AT-AT.

Zerek
29 May 2006, 12:32 PM
they do work rather perfectly dont they and as a star wars fan and a lego collector i have quite a collection of star wars legos. but i do agree that they work quite well for RPGs as character tokens or the like.

Ineti
30 May 2006, 06:52 AM
Originally posted by Jaggard
From bricks to Bothans is the customs site and out there somewheres they have a site like e-bay that deals solely in lego and compatible set peices.

Yeah, From Bricks to Bothans is the SW Lego fan site (www.fbtb.net).

www.Bricklink.com is the online store sort of like eBay where you can buy pretty much any Lego element you can think of, often in bulk quantities. This makes creating custom sets so very easy--you can buy exactly the parts you need for your creation.

And if you need to find out if a certain part comes in a certain color, www.peeron.com has a very nice inventory of all Lego pieces made and in what color, and in what set those pieces appeared in.

I use Lego minifigs as miniatures in my SW games. I'll be starting a new game soon, so I'll try to post some pictures for your amusement. :)

Ravnor
2 June 2006, 06:17 AM
Using lego could be useful for making scenery quickly.:raised:

gmjabreson
7 June 2006, 07:41 AM
If only I had a digital camera, finished the landing platform with the Lego's I have on hand, its pretty much a rainbow of colors, lol. But it is done, I didn't do it to the "Grand" Scale, but I did make it big enough that the AT-AT set does size up to it. The Landing pad does have room for at least 3 tie fighters, which I have vaders, and the bomber, but will be getting the Interceptor soon. I added an elevator on one side, an extendable plank to mate with the AT-AT. If I had some spray paint I'd paint the bricks all one color, but that may be for a different time.