PDA

View Full Version : TIE question - don't flog me, please. . . .

Gulmyros
27 January 2002, 11:30 PM
Ok, this has been bugging me for some time now.

I have seen numerous references to different models of TIE fighters. Most of them I understand. Interceptor - got it. Bomber - got it. Defender - got it. Advanced - got it. And so on.

My question, tho, is about an older, more basic fighter, the TIE/ln.

Here's the question (and please don't laugh at me, I'm sensitive, you know...): see the letter ' n ' up there? What's the letter right before it?

Really, I'm serious. Is it a lowercase ' L ' or an uppercase ' i ' and what does the abbreviation stand for?

I've searched and searched to no avail. Apparently it's such a basic concept that no source describes it, they just list it and figure I must already know.

A little help over here????

:)

Gully

Kayle Skolaris
27 January 2002, 11:51 PM
I do not know, but if I had to guess, I'd say the ln is an "LN" and stands for Line as in "Line Fighter" or "Fighter of the Line". It could also mean "line" as in "production line fighter"

If it's actually "in" I'd have to say it stands for insect, insignificant, or incompetent in direct reference to its designers. :D

wolfe
28 January 2002, 01:53 AM
the references that I've seen list it asl n,but don't remember seeing a definition of the designation,
but,I go with the "line new" designation as it it the new line model replacing the old imperial Tie model (for reasoning of its better than nothing).

Fab
28 January 2002, 03:10 AM
Unless I'm mistaken it's an upper case I and stands for Interceptor. Larger engine than the TIE fighter, four fire-linked laser cannons, it was actually faster than the X-Wing.

Kayle Skolaris
28 January 2002, 04:31 AM
The TIE/In is the standard TIE, not the Interceptor.

Arakyd
28 January 2002, 05:18 AM
I agree with wolfe & Kayle Skolaris . It probably has something to do with the word line. It is the main line TIE, so that does make sense.

Thomson
28 January 2002, 07:41 AM
The TIE/ln is indeed the line version of the TIE fighter. However, there was an older version (without the /ln) which had weaker laser cannons and was somewhat slower.

Gulmyros
29 January 2002, 08:32 PM
However, there was an older version (without the /ln) which had weaker laser cannons and was somewhat slower.I seem to remember reading somewhere (most likely the 1st edition SW Sourcebook from WEG) that there was a basic TIE fighter, but that the Empire had moved up to the TIE/ln by the time of Ep IV.

But ultimately, nobody really knows. We're all sure that the TIE/ln is the mainstay of the Imperial fleet during the Rebellion era. But nobody's seen anything official in print to explain the abbreviation.

Ok then, I don't feel so bad.

Gully

Grimace
29 January 2002, 09:20 PM
I've dug through every source I have to try and find a definitive answer to this question. Honestly, I must admit that for the longest time I thought the "/ln" stood for "intercept". I knew that it wasn't the "Interceptor", but considering there were two versions of TIEs prior to the /ln, I figured that it was of the intercept variety.

Upon closer examination in several sourcebooks, however, I find that it is, in fact /LN. :rolleyes: So I've looked all throughout the sourcebooks trying to find what the stupid designation stands for. As many have supposed, it could very conceivably be "line".

/rc is reconnaissance
/fc is fire control
/gt is ground attack (the first bomber)
/sh is shuttle

I did see one reference as the /ln as "front line fighter", but other than that, there's absolutely no written definition of the darned thing.

So I say go with "line" or "front line", your choice.

BTW, I got all of this info from the SW Sourcebook (1st ed) and SW Adventure Journal #10.

Armadious
29 January 2002, 09:24 PM
Unfortunatly I can not tell you where the /ln came from.

I can tell you that it was in the 1st edition rule book, but there was no explination there.

The only difference that is mentioned between the TIE and TIE/ln is that the TIE/ln have a seperate power source for their laser canons, and are newer.

There were two older models the T.I.E. - the original produced by SFS, and the TIE - produced by SFS after the Empire gaine dcontrol of the galexy.

AJ#10 has an article on TIEs, and even has stats for the TIE fighter, but again no explination. SWSB also mentiones these fighters, but not in detail (agian no explination.)

Gulmyros
29 January 2002, 09:55 PM
Upon closer examination in several sourcebooks, however, I find that it is, in fact /LN.
[snip]
/rc is reconnaissance
/fc is fire control
/gt is ground attack (the first bomber)
/sh is shuttleSo the big question I have is: did you actually find a reference that told you it was /LN, or did you extrapolate from all the other abbreviations being in lowercase?

It doesn't really matter either way, I think you're right on target. But I'd love to know where it was printed so I'd know which source I missed in all this time.

Gully

wolfe
29 January 2002, 11:46 PM
SWAJ vol1#10,pg 252; SWSBpg 26; SWRB 2E R&E pg250: in the stats after the craft heading, shows it listed as L/N only in lower case and SW EEV lists it as TIE/LN.

GreenCape
30 January 2002, 02:02 AM
Gulmyros, you have my heartfelt sympathy. For a long time, i also wondered whether it was an I or an l 8o . I know i'm a bit behind the ball here, but i can positively assure you that it is indeed a lowercase L ! (Now if only i could remember where i found this... GRRR! Maybe in the 1ed GM's screen?). Hope this sets your troubled soul to rest, my friend ;) .

Dr_Worm
30 January 2002, 10:40 AM
Sweet Lord for 15 years I have thought that it was /in. I never even questioned it. Of course it is /ln that makes much more sense. I am really glad this was brought up, because I never would have.