PDA

View Full Version : I have two rants.............................

Kobayashi_Maru
30 January 2002, 09:10 AM
One, what happened to the free exchange and discussion of SWRPG ideas?
Like I would post an idea "I want to do "this" in our campaign how might others out there approach it?" And I would get ideas and discussions on how to fit "this" in to a SW game. But lately it's more like "Well you shouldn't be able to do that in your game!" When did someone else become the supreme commander of what we can and cannot do in our games?

Two, when did Lucas sell off the creative rights to Star Wars and everyone but me got a piece of the action? Lately most people I talk to that complain about one thing or another; whether it is the movies or the game, seem to be saying "in my idea of Star Wars". Well when did Star Wars become thier idea? I mean people complain "its not cannon" or "its not pro-Lucas" they rarely give educated examples. Especially when critiqing the movies, I have heard hardly anyone say i didn't like the characterization or plot or setting they just say (mainly with Ep 1) it wasn't my idea of what Star Wars should be like. Once again thats the whole idea its not yours its George's and fans give him enough grief.

I guess my real questions are why the "holier than thou" atttitude and can't we all just get along?????????????????????????

DirkGreystoke
30 January 2002, 10:00 PM
Rant number 1-
I agree with you, and not just becaue I love your screen name {Trek rules too!} I think that everyone should respond in the manner you speak of. If someone is trying to run a fun game, then we all are obligated to try and help them out, not say what should or should not be done unless you think that it will not make the game fun. This really came up with they guy who wanted to combine SW and D&D. I would never do this, but he might have a lot of fun trying it. I felt bad when people jumped down his throat.

Rant number 2-
I agree with that as well. I am also sick of people saying that they don't like something in the Phantom Menace cause it is not what they think should be done. You are right Kobiashi, it is Lucas' story not every Joe Bloe fans'. And as for the cannon thing, my take is simple. If you are trying to play a story that follows Lucas' story in the films, then dont touch anything in the movies. As far as the books, you can pick and choose what you want to use since Lucas did not write them. However, I think most GMs are reasonable. After all, everyone having fun is the most important thing. If you change the events of Novel X or flip-flop something that is in the background of ROTJ for a few seconds, who cares?

I played in five campaigns were we were the main characters in the classic trilogy, replacing Luke and Han and Leia. It was some of the most fun I ever had, period.

Master Dao Rin
30 January 2002, 10:11 PM
I think its because there is this voting thing on the boards, and everyone wants to get the lowest score or something ... :)

Do you have any specific, deep, and meaningful questions burning in your mind you want me to answer? :)

Krad-edis
31 January 2002, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by Kobayashi_Maru
One, what happened to the free exchange and discussion of SWRPG ideas?
Like I would post an idea "I want to do "this" in our campaign how might others out there approach it?" And I would get ideas and discussions on how to fit "this" in to a SW game. But lately it's more like "Well you shouldn't be able to do that in your game!" When did someone else become the supreme commander of what we can and cannot do in our games?

Two, when did Lucas sell off the creative rights to Star Wars and everyone but me got a piece of the action? Lately most people I talk to that complain about one thing or another; whether it is the movies or the game, seem to be saying "in my idea of Star Wars". Well when did Star Wars become thier idea? I mean people complain "its not cannon" or "its not pro-Lucas" they rarely give educated examples. Especially when critiqing the movies, I have heard hardly anyone say i didn't like the characterization or plot or setting they just say (mainly with Ep 1) it wasn't my idea of what Star Wars should be like. Once again thats the whole idea its not yours its George's and fans give him enough grief.

I guess my real questions are why the "holier than thou" atttitude and can't we all just get along?????????????????????????

I agree with you completely on number one. There is nothing more irritating than getting a list of why you shouldn't do things a certain way, when you are going into an era that hasn't even been shown yet. The era is free to use with almost no boundaries.

Ships, Technology, and items of the Future (http://holonet.swrpgnetwork.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4269)

People are always going to question your ideas and add things in there that are not to your liking. When asking for ideas, most of the time, people are going on opinion and not fact. Don't get defensive, just take the information you want and ignore the others, and politely thank everyone for their comments. The bottom line is that you are going to do something because you think it is cool. If people want to contribute, great. If they want to question or insult, they aren't really helping, so ignore it. In the thread I started back late last year, I had to explain myself several times as to what I wanted to do, when I was only asking for ideas on items, ships, and other technologies. I got some good ideas, but I also got frustrated with people trying to tell me to change my idea to fit what they thought would be cool. You have to take what you need out of it, not everyone is going to agree with what you are asking for or what you are doing it, but that is their opinion...and it shouldn't matter that much to you to where you should get frustrated....I am a fine example of showing restraint :D

Number two is again, based on opinion. People sometimes forget that Star Wars is George Lucas' story. I think that Episode I criticisms mainly come from a variety of things, yet I don't think many people really say why they don't like it. They just say "it s*cked". Here are two reasons why I thought the movie was mediocre:

1) It was aimed at a younger audience. They had a whiney kid and a clumsy idiot alien that younger kids could relate too and laugh at. It was supposed to create a new generation of Star Wars fans. This made the older Star Wars fans kind of upset.....It didn't measure up to their expectations...possibly because they are not kids anymore?

2) It lacked a Han Solo element. Some may argue that Qui-gonn was that rebel, but Qui-gonn certainly would not come close in a scoundrel contest with Han. Han is probably my favorite character (next to Darth Vader), and his element wasn't in there....It wasn't what I expected...possibly because it is a new story?

My list could go on and on, and I really have never done this to the other movies, just Episode 1. These are my opinions and I am sure that someone reading this probably won't agree with me, but if you notice at the end of each, I offer a possible rebuttal even for my opinions. My opinion is neither right or wrong, it is just an opinion.....so Kobayashi_Maru, once again you really have to take the good and leave the bad. I understand what you mean. It is everyone's right to be able to criticize a film or wish something would have been in there that wasn't, but you shouldn't be to critical....because it is not your movie. My major problem with the majority of people who say they don't like something, or "this is how I see it"...they rarely say why they don't like it, or remember that how they see it is not the way it was made....Which makes you wonder if they really have their own opinions of if they can respect other's opinions.

reliant
28 February 2002, 09:28 AM
Personally I think it sucks when someone comes up with a new or different idea and people who think they know everything jump all over them about how it isn't right for star wars or how it isn't right with the movies or whatever. It's just stupid... If someone wants to use D&D stuff in SW, go ahead! I just used Aliens in my SW campaign, and I thought it worked out great. The players had a good time and it was tons of fun (I can post stats if anyone wants them). Someone posted a Resident Evil SW module, and no one jumped on him about it. It's discouraging to see people attack posts that disagree with their take on how stuff works too...

On this subject, I am SICK AND TIRED of the whole "cannon" arguement. I have one question for those who claim "cannon" every time they are at a loss for what to say: WHO CARES WHAT IS AND IS NOT CANNON? Do these people get a nickel from Lucas everytime they try and squash a new idea with the old cannon arguement? I certainly hope so, because I don't think they are making very many friends from it. Now I'm getting all fired up about this... Anyway, it just irritates me to see people go nuts about cannon while people are trying to discuss and work stuff out for themselves. We are the gamers (and game masters), we get to decide what is and is not in our universes. If I decide that the death star didn't blow up, or that the gungans never existed, then in MY little gaming world, that is cannon.

Sorry if I offend anyone, but this subject is just something that has been irritating me for some time... I'm just glad someone besides me noticed it...

dgswensen
28 February 2002, 10:03 AM
When it comes to Star Wars, I subscribe to what Egg Shen says in Big Trouble in Little China: "Take what we want, and leave the rest, just like your salad bar."

I have no hangups at all about violating canon in my Star Wars RPGs. If I don't like something, it goes. If I dig it, it stays. If my players don't like it, that's generally too bad, though, fortunately for me, none of them are hung up on canon issues either.

For example, there are supposed to be almost no Jedi in the Rebellion Era and only two Sith at any given time. I don't like this idea, so I have as many Jedi and Sith as I want. I don't give this a second thought. The very fact that a Star Wars RPG license exists grants me license to tell a story in the Star Wars universe any way I see fit. What anyone else might think of this doesn't really factor into it at all for me.

As far as wanting the Star Wars movies to be this or that... I think that's natural. Everyone takes something different away from Star Wars, and wants more (or less) of a particular element. My biggest beef with Episode I was not Jar Jar or L'il Anakin or the holes in the story, but instead the fact that the starship battles were brief and kind of dull. Half the reason I watch SW is for the starship battles, and Episode I's were pretty lackluster.

But as I see it, that's what things like the RPG are for... to tell the story the way you want. :)

Master Dao Rin
28 February 2002, 10:08 PM
Well, I've asked if you wanna talk, and no answer yet - all everyone wants to do here is complain, which probably answers yer first question Maru ... :D

So there you go ...

Kobayashi_Maru
1 March 2002, 04:23 PM
Yeah!
Yeah!

Attica, Attica, Attica!:D

But seriously, I know its sometimes opinion but sometimes opinions become bashing of ideas and thats just not productive. I don't want to tell people what not to say either but I would think it would be a matter of respect or honor.

But tis the sign of the times, example CNN talkback; all the 4 guests did was bash one or more of the other guest's idea. It was almost like a sophisticated Jerry Springer. People have lost a level of respect when dealing with ideas that they don't necessarily agree with.

Dao-
I'm not looking for answers because I'm still searching for the questions.

But I have been doing the old Xavier/Magneto arguement of ends and means, which I have been taking the side of Xavier at "is the empire evil" thread. It has been fun. And yet non insulting :) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!