PDA

View Full Version : The Jedi, a religion?!

Kobayashi_Maru
30 January 2002, 02:15 PM
First let me say this is a rumor so far and I haven't conferrmed it.
And I'm posting this here because I thought it might get something stirred up!
With that said.............................

Recently there was a consensus report that came through the UK, and an overwhelming number of citizens reported their religion as JEDI!!!!!
In fact so many did so, that the UK has to recognize JEDI as a religion.

It made me think, if Jedi became a recoginzed religion in America you could get a licence to be a practicioner, hence a Jedi!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe a member from the UK can confirm or deny this for me!?!

Would thier be copyright issues? How could you sue me for my belief structure?

What do ya think?
Lets start a religion?
LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sabre
30 January 2002, 04:05 PM
They ran this story on Theforce.net, and yes, it's true. There was a campaign to get people to write in Jedi as their religion, and if a certain number of people have that on their census form the government recognizes the religion.

Technically, it's illegal to lie on the census, but... apparently if enough people do it, you can get away with it. Besides, who wants the government selling their personal info to telemarketers to pay down their debts?

Jedi_Staailis
30 January 2002, 07:51 PM
I remember that story. The census results were enough to list "Jedi" as a religous category, but some other technicalities prevented it from becoming a full religion under UK law. Here's the link to the TF.N story for more. http://cgi.theforce.net/theforce/tfn.cgi?storyID=12624

Moose
30 January 2002, 09:25 PM
I heard about this as well, but some how the Brits found a way to make sure that there would be no Jedi religon even though they had the right amount of votes. Too bad would have been kinda funny to have people running around in Brown Robes claiming to be Jedi:D

Dr_Worm
1 February 2002, 08:40 PM
I hate to be contrary, but I believe it was New Zealand. I remember about three months ago hearing about it on NPR. They were reforming their system that recognized certain religions for state purposes, and they arbitrarily pulled a number out of thin air as the only requirement for a state recognized religion. The guy that started the Jedi campaign did it as a way to protest the system that the government came up with. Needless to say the government refused to recognize the Jedi and began to work on a revision to the system.

That's the way I heard it.