PDA

View Full Version : This voting thing I just noticed yesterday ...

Master Dao Rin
30 January 2002, 10:14 PM
Okay, so people can vote for each other. But not for themselves ...

.... except ....

Hmmmm ... when I click on Moridin, an administrator, it seems he's voted for himself ...

Whats up with that?!? I smell something fishy here! I wonder how many other administrators have high ratings ... :)

Moose
30 January 2002, 10:27 PM
So you admit to trying to vote for yourself HAHA your caught....thinks over what he just said....boy i need sleep.

How can you tell that the Admins were voting for themselves? Eitherway its no biggy, they deserve good rankingsIMHO.

Grimace
31 January 2002, 07:37 AM
Maybe the Admin can, maybe they can't. I'd honestly think that they can't...as the moderators can't vote for themselves (I know, I tried *hangs head*).

When I view the "who's voted for ya" list, I think there are some problems with the display. There are people that I KNOW I voted for, but when I view their display, it doesn't show my name...even though when I count up the total votes, and number of voters, it's one voter short (mine). Then, when I click on someone I haven't voted for, my name doesn't show up there either. So unless I actually go an vote on a person, or if I remember, I don't know who I've voted for.

So I wouldn't really trust everything on that "voters" list...especially with some of the error problems that have been occuring on this site. I don't care whether the admin can vote for themselves or not. There are only two Admin here (Armage and Moridin), so it's not like their going to dramatically sway their voting level. The real test is the total number of votes and where they (and everyone) stand. If you're doing good, keep up the good work. If your lagging behind, then try to make an effort to post more helpful or insightful things.

Nazgul
31 January 2002, 11:08 AM
You can see who voted for you?:?

Moose
31 January 2002, 11:23 AM
You can check by clicking on the number of votes you have that is located to the left of your user rating.

Arakyd
31 January 2002, 11:23 AM
You just have to click the vote count next to your rating.

Arakyd
31 January 2002, 11:26 AM
Wow Moose!

You and I must be twins seperated at birth. How else could we have posted that at the same time?:D

Moose
31 January 2002, 11:30 AM
Brother?
Brothers dont shake hands...Brothers gotta hug...grabs Arakyd in huge bear hug.

Anyways...I have a question. Under your name in my case Moose it says Skilled Player...under a lot of other players there are descriptions and things that I am assuming the person wrote...how do you change your own description?

Arakyd
31 January 2002, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by Moose
Brother?
Brothers dont shake hands...Brothers gotta hug...grabs Arakyd in huge bear hug.

Anyways...I have a question. Under your name in my case Moose it says Skilled Player...under a lot of other players there are descriptions and things that I am assuming the person wrote...how do you change your own description?

You have to reach a post count around 200, but I am not sure what the exact number is.

Nazgul
31 January 2002, 11:36 AM
Didn't even notice that it was a link, thanks! (Kinda hard being color deficient, :()

Durian Keldrona
31 January 2002, 11:45 AM
Color Deficient? so we shouldnt send you things highlighted in red and green to differentiate things......course it makes sense that a Nazgul would be color deficient... its all the black :)

Nazgul
31 January 2002, 01:47 PM
Yeap, only some greens and reds. Everyday the name makes more sense, :D, I guess I'm slowly fading into the shadow world...

Moridin
31 January 2002, 07:15 PM
Uh, apparently me voting for myself is something leftover from when Armage and I were beta testing the system, and I get an error message when I try to change my rating....I'll have Armage set my vote for myself to a 1 if it bothers you that much.

Master Dao Rin
31 January 2002, 08:23 PM
Bah! I could care less about the voting thing or my score ...

ALFRED_THE_EWOK
31 January 2002, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by Master Dao Rin
Bah! I could care less about the voting thing or my score ...

Thats because YOU have a low rating! j/k :) Unlike my superior rating of......oh never mind. :(

Master Dao Rin
1 February 2002, 11:52 AM
Hey, Alfred, you wanna exchange votes? We'll vote 5 for each other, and bump up our ratings? :D

ALFRED_THE_EWOK
1 February 2002, 04:55 PM
Hey, Alfred, you wanna exchange votes? We'll vote 5 for each other, and bump up our ratings? :D

lol...people are probably gonna vote us down just for mentioning that...:)

Master Dao Rin
2 February 2002, 11:47 AM
You're right - another vote and I just lost 0.1 point!!!! :D LOL.

Reverend Strone
26 February 2002, 08:24 PM
This thead has been the most fun read I've ever had on the holonet.

If you haven't done so recently, just go back and start at the beginning again. You guys are great.

Thanks for making my day.

I must admit, there have been times I've glanced at someone's rating and wondered who they honked off (and how) to get such big sucky ratings. In my esteem, all you guys deserve five stars for your attitudes.

"Messa gonna give yousa all da good ratins for da funs."

-the Reverend Strone.

(please don't hurt me for the Gungan speak)

Sanjuro
27 February 2002, 09:16 AM
I was wondering how long it would be before I could modify my status line, looks like I have some work to do:( Thanks for the tip on checking your voter list. B)

Master Dao Rin
27 February 2002, 09:17 PM
Welcome, guys. Here, I'll vote 5 for you guys. :)

Master Dao Rin
27 February 2002, 09:18 PM
Hah! There you guys go - +0.2 to your ratings!

And you know what? I can vote multiple times on ya too! :D

Reverend Strone
28 February 2002, 05:47 AM
Hang on, we could get in trouble for this...

(backs away warily)

Um, I mean YOU guys could get in trouble for this. I'm just an innocent by stander. Look at me minding my own business over here by myself.

Master Dao Rin
28 February 2002, 09:53 PM
Innocent?

Oh, yeah? Take this 5-er! Muwhahahahaha!! :D

You just watch yerself, mister, I've given two others fives as well! I'm sure I'll be getting the death sentence in twelve forums before this thread is done!

;)

Master Dao Rin
28 February 2002, 09:58 PM
That ewok seems to be skimpin' on the voting thing though ... don't trust him, he's shifty methinks. :D

Matt Richard
3 March 2002, 03:00 PM
You guys are hiliarious, I gave you fives based on attitude! This seems like a classical 3 stooge back and forth sketch (Dao Rin is Moe, revstrone is Larry, Alfred is Curly).

Reverend Strone
3 March 2002, 03:37 PM
{QUOTE]This seems like a classical 3 stooge back and forth sketch (Dao Rin is Moe, revstrone is Larry, Alfred is Curly).[/QUOTE]

But, but meesa do nuthin!

Will nobody attest to my guiltlessness?

I'm just the darng bystander dang it!!!!

(thanks anyway Matt).

reliant
5 March 2002, 11:05 AM
I think in this, no one is innocent... In the dark future of the galaxy, there can be only WAR...

Anyway, how the heck do you change the message under your name? Some people have "new player" (like me), others "skilled player" and I swear I saw someone who had "Dark Overlord of the Universe" or something like that. There's no option for that in your profile, so how do I change it? And what is up with all the rankings and WP, XP, VP, STP, DDP, VD, and tons of other stuff in your user profile? I am now at 5th level... So does that mean that I am a 5th level gamer? Can I multi-class and be a jedi too? If so, how do I do that because just being a regular gamer isn't cutting it anymore... Oh how I could torture my players if multiclassed to be a force adept... Mwah ha ha ha ha...

As for the user rating... I tried to vote for myself (unsuccesfully)... What does it all mean anyway? I am fairly confused at this point...

Regardless, this was a good thread...

Reverend Strone
5 March 2002, 02:13 PM
You need to have 200+ posts, then you can do it. Check out the FAQs for more details.

darth maim
15 March 2002, 12:40 AM
Wow... I didn't realize you could see who voted for you!! that's kinda cool... just wish I knew what they voted. Umm hmmm not that I'd retaliate against negative votes... just want to see what people think of me... yeah that's it :rolleyes: :D

reliant
15 March 2002, 07:02 AM
Yeah I wish they let you know what they voted in addition to who voted. Not that I would retaliate, but it would be nice to at least know who I was pissing off so I could avoid it in the future...

ALFRED_THE_EWOK
15 March 2002, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by reliant
Yeah I wish they let you know what they voted in addition to who voted. Not that I would retaliate, but it would be nice to at least know who I was pissing off so I could avoid it in the future...

Ya, that would be cool, but I think then that people would be less inlcined to vote down others.

Grimace
15 March 2002, 04:05 PM
Yes, Alfred that is almost the very reason why we don't let people see what others voted. Many people are too fickle and would, perhaps inadvertantly, hold a grudge against others that voted them down.

Suffice to say, since you can see who has voted for you, and you can see what your current rating is...you can generally get an idea of what the ratings chosen were in order to achieve the average you have. That won't give you exacts, nor will it show who's voted low for you, but it will generally give you an idea of who took the time to vote for you. If your rating is low, and it nags at you so much as to "why" your rating is low, you could PM some of the voters and ask them. Don't ask what they voted, but ask for ideas on how you could post more productive material.

I don't think Armage, Moridin, or any of the other moderators could ever be convinced to make the voting visible.

Reverend Strone
15 March 2002, 05:48 PM
I agree with Grimace on this one, but if you pay attention to your list you should be able to recognise who might have posted a recent vote by the new name. If you can be bothered it's then possible to work out what they voted by a process of division and subtraction.

The voting thing is a double edged sword though. It provides a really useful method of providing feedback which can encourage a higher quality of post in users who care what others think of them, but it can also be used by less mature and rather fickle members to attack people they don't agree with.

I recall collecting a nasty vote from a user just for asking him politely to pop a spoiler warning on his Ep II post. It earned me a 1, which I thought was rather childish, but oh well.

In the end the value of the voting just comes down to what it means to you individually I suppose. I think it's very important to be well thought of by your peers, but you can't please everyone all the time, and if some folks will rate you down for having a different point of view, well you roll with it. I generally only vote low if someone is inconsiderate or rude. Just because someone dissagrees with me is no reason to vote them down. Diversity breeds discussion right?

Fortunately I've almost never had to cast a bad vote on these forums and I've given away more 5s that I can remember. There are a lot of people here who post insightful, well thought out and frequently very useful material. These are the guys who should be encouraged, and if seeing their vote bar pop up another .1 will inspire them to keep it up, then I'd advocate being generous with those 5s.

darth maim
15 March 2002, 08:44 PM
I like seeing my vote bar pop up .1 :D

Armage Bedar
17 March 2002, 02:52 PM
Hmmmm ... when I click on Moridin, an administrator, it seems he's voted for himself ...

Whats up with that?!? I smell something fishy here! I wonder how many other administrators have high ratings ... :)

Heh, sorry about that - like Moridin said, that's a remnant from when we were beta-testing. I took out both of our self-ratings so we don't look so self-serving :-D

As for revealing how people voted, <b>revstrone</b> is right - it would open up the potential for retaliation by less mature members. I would like to have openness, giving everyone the ability to see how everyone else has been voted, but I just don't think it can happen yet.

Oh, and <b>revstrone</b> also raises a valid point about so-called "rogue ratings"--where someone might rate you a one or a five when you really might deserve a three (or no rating at all). The law of averages tends to cancel these ratings out, especially when people notice that your score is lower than what they think it should be and rate you higher to compensate. (I frown on compensation like that in most other circumstances - you should give the rating you think appropriate, not try to skew the public rating to what you think is appropriate by rating someone artificially high or low.)

Hope that clears things up. The current crunch time has ended at school, so I should have more time to devote to the site and the HoloNet.

Reverend Strone
17 March 2002, 04:07 PM
Thanks for the insights Armage. It makes sense to me.

reliant
18 March 2002, 04:59 AM
Ouch... I think you guys misunderstood what I meant. I never meant to suggest that the holonet should change so we would be able to see what people voted, just that it would be nice in a utopian sort of way. I am fully aware that not very many people are mature enough to have access to what people voted without having them immediately run out and vote against everyone who voted them low.