PDA

View Full Version : Heat?

Moose
30 January 2002, 10:19 PM
Ok I just finished watching Heat, which by the way is an incrediable movie if you did not know. Anyways heres my question.

I have now been inspired to run a Heat like D20 campaign in which the player characters would be criminals and the NPC Villian would be a cop(like Pachino). Now I want to set this on Coruscant, but if anyone has a better suggestions for planets I am all ears. Now my main question is on Coruscant I know there are Stormtroopers and Coruscant guardsmen, but are there Police who would do investigations or is that handled by the Stormtroopers and Coruscant Guardsmen?

I am planning on running this during the Shadows of the Empire time frame if that helps with my earlier question.

Any comments, idea's, or gripes are welcome.

Thanks

P.S. If you have not seen Heat I reccomend it, it is an older movie, but was awsome. It has Al Pacino, Robert De Niro, Val Kilmer, and many other good actors.

Chris Curtis
31 January 2002, 07:00 AM
Well, I'm not all that sure as to who's jurisdiction the investigation(s) would fall. It might well depend on what crime had been committed. The Shadows of the Empire supplements by WEG might shed some light on this. At the least, they ought to better define what are the responsibilities of the Coruscant Guards. Anyone with that book want to check?

I don't think it would be unreasonable to think that there would be some sort of more "normal" police force present on Coruscant. If the crime being investigated weren't too severe, then maybe stick some more normal people onto it.

Another possibility would be to set it on Corellia, or within the Corellia system. In that case, the antagonist would almost certainly be from CorSec (Corellia Security). You can think of them sort of like a federal marshall (if you're from the states). They should have the authority to pursue the criminals/PCs all over the planet or around the system and probably even beyond the system if need be. They'd also likely be able to get the cooperation of local law enforcement.

PS: You consider a 1995 movie (Heat) to be "older"? Man, I'm showing my age... :D It is, however, an excellent movie as you said. In fact, it has what is probably one of the best gunfight scenes of all time in it. 3 guys vs. the LAPD...

Jak Knife
31 January 2002, 07:24 AM
If you you move it to Corellia you would use CorSec, if you keep it on Coruscant then you should use sometime similar to CorSec (even keep the same name but that might be confusing because CorSec in all the EU novels refers to Corellia). But strormtroopers and Coruscant Guard are military units and don't normally deal with common criminals, they deal with planet security and emergence situations.
So to answer your question directly, yes there should be a police force. I would base it off of the CorSec or even directly off the movie Heat since that is your inspiration.

The Admiral
31 January 2002, 10:14 AM
Ah, Police, this bugbear again. OK;

1: There is the IOCI (Imperial Office of Criminal Investigations) who act somthing like Special Branch, or the FBI. They are poly jurisdictional, and mostly make sure that peace keeping forces are doing their jobs correctly, and in line with Imperial Law.

2: Sector Rangers. These guys have policing jurisdiction anywhere within their given Sector. There certainly would be Sector Rangers operating within the Core.

3: The Coruscant Guard. These guys may be Stormtroopers, but they operate as the police force in the core regions.

So, if you're running Heat as a game, Pacino would probably be a Sector Ranger hunting down De Niro. Pacino keeps reporting to IOCI, and the final gun battle is against the Coruscant Guard,,,

Moose
31 January 2002, 10:41 AM
Thanks guys for all the info. I think I will run it on Coruscant with the Sector Ranger being the Pacino character. Oh and that was one of the greatest shoot out scene's ever.

Dr_Worm
31 January 2002, 11:33 AM
Sector Rangers are a great idea.

When I have run city based capaigns in the past, I have used the William Gibson novels (Neuromancer, Mona Lisa Overdrive...) as inspiration. They are tech heavy and dark, and the corporate security is seriously bad. If you haven't read them pick up Neuromancer. It is a serously quick read (1-4 days max) and paints a thrilling picture.

The Admiral
31 January 2002, 01:05 PM
Well, I'm not sure I'd be wanting to use Neuromancer (or Billy Gib in general) as source material on police forces, I can only recall the police actually turning up in Idoru (In the Love Hotel and during the Bridge Fire) BUT, I do love Billy Gib, and certainly his evocative style has made it's way into some of my games,,,

DirkGreystoke
31 January 2002, 03:27 PM
Are there still Sector Rangers in the Rebellion Era? If your criminals are real high profile, then I would use an agent from COMPNOR or the ISB.

The Admiral
31 January 2002, 04:16 PM
Quick answer, yes, Sector Rangers are still about during the rebellion. As for using ComPNOr or the ISB (or indeed the Ubitorate) it would seem most unlikely to me that such a thing as a Heat style adventure would come into their purview. It'd be rather like having the NSA investigate car thefts.

ComPNOr's Justice wing might concievably get involved following apprehension, as they oversee judicial matters. But even tat is as a watchdog; they aren't responsible for dealing out Justice, just making sure that the justice which is meted out is in line with Imperial policy.

Different agencies deal with different things, and as is always the case, most agencies dislike other agencies.