PDA

View Full Version : Help with Mekton Zeta

Malkarris
1 February 2002, 10:28 PM
While looking through a used bookstore the other day, I stumbled upon some Mekton Zeta books. Some of the mecha designs looked interesting, but unfortunately, I have almost no clue what the statistics mean. Until I manage to find a core rulebook for the game, I was hoping someone on the boards would e-mail or PM me just the rules for the mecha, so I could understand what I'm looking at, and perhapse figure out some conversions. Thanks.

Donovan Morningfire
2 February 2002, 01:37 PM
You need some ideas on what the stuff means for Mekton Zeta, here's a couple of solid links.

www.mektonzeta.com (http://www.mektonzeta.com/)
Get the basic rundown, and there's a file called Mekton Alpha which gives you the bare bones of how the system works and what the numbers mean.

R.Talsorian's Homepage (http://www.talsorian.com)
The folks who make the game. Check under links for some other good sites to check out.

Not too long ago, they reprinted the core rule book for Mekton Zeta, so if you're interested, your local game shop might be able to order you a copy. Or check R.Tal's on-line catalog, they may still have copies for sale.

Malkarris
3 February 2002, 02:30 AM
Thanks. This should help me get started. Out of curiosity, have you played the game, and is it any good? Would you recommend it?

Donovan Morningfire
3 February 2002, 07:12 AM
I'll freely admit to being more than a little biased in this regard. I feel it does the best job of allowing you to play a mecha-based anime game. The core system is fairly quick and intuitive (the only real snag comes in raising skills and such, but that's an easy fix), and the combat system is largely well-done and doesn't bog down once you get the swing of it. That and it uses the same combat system throughout the game, regardless if you're using people, mecha, starships or whatever.

Character creation is largely painless, and there's a good flowchart for determining background if you don't have anything in particular in mind. It can largely handle most any concept, and even has special rules for "rookies," those angst-ridden heroes that start off not-so-good and become the hottest thing since melted cheese at series end :D

The Mekton Zeta corebook has a basic mecha construction system for the classic 50+ foot robots, smaller vehicle-scale "Roadstrikers" and larger spacecraft. There's a supplemental book called Mekton Zeta Plus that has a far more in-depth construction system, but both are pretty similar, just MZ+ has a lot more detail and options (and definitely requires a calculator).

The rules are simple, and not too different from Star Wars d20, just uses a single d10 for skill check results as opposed to a d20. There are options for setting the overall "tech level" of the game, so things like man-sized rayguns may not exist while there are giant mecha that can fire mountain-leveling beams :D

On a scale of 1 to 10, I'd have to give Mekton Zeta an 8. There's a lot of good things, and a few things that could be done better, but all in all I think it's a great game.

(Side Note: my Mobile Suit rules for Star Wars D20 drew more than a few concepts and ideas from Mekton Zeta.)