PDA

View Full Version : but what about naboo?

blitzkreig
3 February 2002, 04:47 PM
i have a game-related question that i have yet to find an answer for on any of the numerous sites that i have been scouring as of recently.

the first is expressed in the subject line..what becomes of Naboo in the rebellion era (the setting that my game takes place in). i would think that the admittedly obscure planet would slip back into obscurity by the time the Empire rears its ugly (or misunderstood) head. though i cannot be for certain on this matter i would like to hear other opinions.

also is there any source that would make for an interesting plot twist as a 'filler scenario' for some of my regular gaming group, as two members have gone off on holiday leaving me with three of five ravenous gamers eager to play.

hrm nothing more i can think of, but certainly more to come at a later date. thanks in advance, blitz

Nova Spice
3 February 2002, 06:45 PM
I would have to say that Naboo slips away into the backgroud during the Rebellion Era. I am GMing a Rebellion Era game currently and I have yet to mention Naboo. Although that may change, but some of my PCs believe it is desroyed by the Empire in the coming films. I personally don't know what happens. However, I have read every NJO novel thus far and the galactic map shows that Naboo is on the star chart. I imagine it will be written in once GL gives the okay or clarifies that Naboo is still around.
We will have to wait and see what happens in the next two films to know for sure. But that is my best educated guess as to what happens to the planet. I doubt it is desroyed, for that would certainly make headlines and it would bring up questions of another superweapon before the Death Star.

Hope that helps. :D B)

Moose
3 February 2002, 07:11 PM
I think Naboo is still around because its going to be one of the worlds in Star Wars Galaxies which is set during the Rebelion Era. The game is approved by Lucas I think, which would mean that Naboo certainly was not destroyed. Or I could be horribly wrong:D

Wade Trenor
3 February 2002, 07:20 PM
Well, I'm sure that Naboo isn't destroyed, as no one was aware of the power of the Death Star until Alderaan was blown away. One of my theories is thatNaboo will have a special place in the Empire as it is Palpatine's homeworld (as far as I know), and the place where his rise to power begun.

The planet may have become a mining colony during the Rebellion era, since it looks like the natives have not mined extensively for resources. Alternatively, there may not have been resources to mine, so the planet was ignored. Looking at the glaxy map, it doesn't appear to be situated near the major trade routes, so a military presence would probably be minimal as well.

Iris
3 February 2002, 11:04 PM
I'm inclined to agree that Naboo is still around during the Rebellion because it's Palpatine's homeworld. We don't know the offical status (meaning inhabitable, mined to destruction, etc.) of it however.

IMO, until something offical comes out there's no reason you can't make up your own stories surrounding Naboo. If it turns out later that your guess was wrong, consider it an interesting twist in your version of the SW Universe. We have more than a few of those in our game. ;)

BrianDavion
4 February 2002, 07:51 AM
I'd avoid mentioning Naboo and going with a Naboo Like world.. perhaps a world settled by the Gungans and the Naboo following the events in TPM?

FlipDog 2000
7 February 2002, 07:04 AM
Mining what is the question? I know there are natural resources, but with a water core??? As far as I have heard, Naboo just becomes one of those lost planets during the Rebellion. From certain history reports, the Gungans are killed off during the clone wars, perhaps the planet became uninhabitable and the rest of the Naboo left.

BrianDavion
7 February 2002, 07:49 AM
where'd you hear about the Gungans? just an anti- Jar Jar inspired rumor or one from a reliable source?

Jedi_Staailis
7 February 2002, 12:40 PM
A few details from what's going on in the Galaxies game, it's the closest thing we have to hard information at this point.

1) Naboo is in the game. Therefore, it isn't destroyed.

2) Theed is there in all its glory. So, Theed hasn't been destroyed either.

3) From what the developers tell us, there are a variety of races in Theed, so something must have happened after TPM to diversify things.

4) There are stormtroopers in Theed. Apparently, the Empire has taken some interest in the planet.

Of course, Galaxies is just a computer game, but it has been approved.

hotten2
9 February 2002, 03:08 PM
i think naboo is a fake.... made up by the empire to glorify the past of darth vader... :)

reliant
13 February 2002, 07:41 AM
I am inclined to agree with those who say that it would probably hold some special place for palpatine since he was from there. I was thinking of having my PC's go there, only to find that it is some secret imperial stronghold full of freaky experiments and stuff like that. It was mentioned that naboo wouldn't be a military target since it is so far off the beaten path, and I agree with this as well. I was thinking it would be a cool place to stick something like the hand of thrawn (except it would be palpatines). Of course, in MY campaign the gungans would all be DEAD. :)

BrianDavion
16 February 2002, 09:22 AM
nah just all have the gungans going to s peach therapest to remove their speach impediment :)

darkvet
17 February 2002, 11:55 AM
I just finished an adventure that saw my players on Naboo during the early days of the Rebellion. In my adventure Naboo had been the location of the Jedi council after the Emperor took over Coruscant. But once the players got there they found it to be a charred miserable world that had been blockaded and then invaded by an Imperial battlegroup. The Naboo navy, (which I played as being highly upgraded in the 30 years since Phantom Menace) was holding the Imperial Blockade in a stalemate, causing great problems with the fighters on the ground who could not receive supplies or reinforcements.
It is a pretty dismal future for the beautiful world seen in Phantom Menace, but war is hell afterall.

FlipDog 2000
21 February 2002, 07:33 AM
WAIT: Where are stormtroopers in Theed???

And, I came up with an interesting idea...what if it got pulled to the Corellia system??? Huh???huh???

Grand Admiral Jason
1 March 2002, 11:16 AM
Why would Palpatine attack Naboo? He was a senator repersenating Naboo, wasn't he? So, I think that Naboo became a secret Imperial stronghold, like Wayland. The Emperor made Naboo his second captital. He storde sick expirements their, started sick expirements, and secret weapons (like a cloning machine, cloaking device, maybe plans to the Galaxy Gun or maybe a third Superlaser for a third Death Star!!!)

:D 8o

reliant
1 March 2002, 11:42 AM
I like darkvet's idea for Naboo... I am thinking about using the same thing in my campaign. Then again, I like the idea of the empire using it for secret experiments too... Hmm.... Maybe a combination of the two? The jedi council is there so the empire employs all types of secret experimental nasties to wipe them out? My campaign already has force sensitive Aliens (Aliens like from the movie Aliens) being bred by the empire to hunt jedi (and other force sensitive people). Gives me some ideas...

Do they say anything about eras in the "Secrets of Naboo" book? I don't have that book yet, so I was wondering...

blitzkreig
1 March 2002, 07:37 PM
sorry reliant. the powers that be at WoTC decided that the Naboo Sourcebook would be era specific to the Phantom Menace and even icluded an adventure that focused on the events of the movie that was mostly a "lead-your-players-by-the-nose-but-make-it-look-like-they-have-options" sort of game.

very thin on anything regarding the "classic" era or the NJO era. something i wish i had known before buying it (though i have used it a few times). i think that WoTC just got carried away in their excitement to release products that followed the NEW movie and forgot that the movie was just a drop in the bucket.

though this thread has been most useful for me, it is still conjecture based on what we have to go on...

darkvet
4 March 2002, 12:57 PM
In my adventure Palpatine ordered Naboo invaded because there was a very large and vocal population opposed to his rule. Who would be more opposed to Tyranny than the very people who helped him to power?

darkvet
4 March 2002, 01:00 PM
P.S. Thanx Reliant.
I also like your idea of the force sensitive aliens. Who knows what secrets Naboo could harbour?

Grand Admiral Jason
4 March 2002, 03:51 PM
I really like reliant's idea of force sensitive aliens. :)

Oh. Thanks for telling me why Palpetine invaded Naboo. I just though Naboo was invaded, well, "for the fun and joy of the suffering of people," (that's what Palpetine might have said).:D

Tony J Case, Super Genius
5 March 2002, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by Jedi_Staailis
Of course, Galaxies is just a computer game, but it has been approved.

The problem is that video games often are wildly inconsistant with what we see in the movies. Who blew up the Death Star? Luke? Perhaps. Rookie One? According to Rebel Assault he did. Perhaps it was Keyan Farlander, since he did it too in X-Wing.

Anyway you see what I mean. Just because Naboo is around duing the reign of the Empire in Galaxies (an approved and authorized LFL source) does not nessassarly mean that it is so.

My take on Naboo? Just because we dont see something, doesnt mean that it's not there. Are there Sandpeople in the time of Return of the Jedi? Of course, but we dont see them because they arent important to the story. Same thing here - there is no reason not to assume that Gungans, Dugs, Nimodians and Podracing circuts are still around.

reliant
19 March 2002, 07:46 AM
Just an update to an earlier post on this thread:

Rebellion Era Naboo (after the destruction of Alderaan, but before the destruction of DS1)...

In my campaign the PC's arrive at Naboo in search of some jedi rumored to be hiding out there. They find that Naboo is under imperial blockade (due to heavy resistance from the planet itself). They run the blockade (with much difficulty) and arrive on a war torn planet that is rapidly losing territory to the empire. After finding that the governer of the planet is in fact an insane jedi (bordering on the darkside), they start getting reports of something big in system. They haul ass back to their ships and start to head out as allies in space stop reporting... They clear atmosphere just as the sky starts to get dark (an eclipse?). Their sensors tell them that most of the imperial ships are leaving system (they get confused/scared by this), then BOOM the death star blows naboo into space dust. The PC's ships are caught in the shockwave and blow halfway across the system before they manage to repair/control their ships enough to see what happened. They look out the viewports just in time to see the death star jump to hyperspace...