PDA

View Full Version : New Look for the 'Network

Rigil Kent
4 February 2002, 09:46 AM
Looks great, Armage! I was a little surprised when I clicked on the site and it looked NOTHING like I remembered it. Looking forward to whatever else you're going to spring on us...:)

Nazgul
4 February 2002, 10:24 AM
I like the new look (Not that the old one was bad, but I like this one better, :))

Donovan Morningfire
4 February 2002, 12:06 PM
The new look is different, and might take some getting used to, but all in all not bad.

Hey Armage and Moridin, how about next time you guys plan on doing something like this, maybe a bit of warning. Myself, Wileama and Lokar though the Network had up'd and died. Not sure how many others were in the midst of checking stuff out whent they suddenly found themselves getting a page full of lots and lots of error messages :D

Moose
4 February 2002, 12:41 PM
I think the new setup is awsome...although it was quite a suprise. Also if we were to make donations what exactly would that do for the site?

Reverend Strone
4 February 2002, 12:54 PM
Okay, I gotta be honest. I liked the old look better. I think the consistency between the site and the Wizards books layout appealled to me. But hey, it's just an opinion.

Armage Bedar
4 February 2002, 02:35 PM
Sorry for the jolt, Donovan - I anticipated that the changeover would be smooth, so the number of errors was unexpected to me, as well. Also, I had no idea when exactly we'd be doing the switchover, so I apologize for the lack of warning.

As for donations, Moose, they currently go to pay for server costs. That's it. We're running in the red right now, though we think that what we've collected so far will pay for about half of that total. Essentially, what you donate helps keep the site up. That cost will only increase as we get more popular.

And revstrone, we're sorry you don't like the new design, but we think that this design ties us less to Wizards and makes us more of a general SW-RPG news and content site. Also, I happen to like the colors :-)

Thanks for the comments!

Reverend Strone
4 February 2002, 03:47 PM
Ooh. I hope I didn't come across too harsh.

You folks have done a good job, and it certainly isn't easy designing a website. Please don't take my reaction to heart. I'm just an old purest at heart. It's the same sentiment that holds me back from ever getting into the New Jedi Order stuff aswell. There's always gonna be some hold-outs like me.

I also take your point about being tied to Wizards. As independents I appreciate it is important to be distinguishable, and the new look does help clarify that point. I'm a designer and illustrator by profession, so now having heard your reasoning, I can fully understand how your design choices have been made. With that in mind, I reckon you've done a fine job.

Keep up the good work folks. This is still the best place to come for cool, well-considered, nicely laid out, clean Star Wars RPG fixes. New look or not, I'll be here.

Moose
4 February 2002, 04:06 PM
This is a bit unrelated but I would just like to say that I think revstrone has quite a bit of class as displayed by his last post. I am glad he has joined the Holonets.

Reverend Strone
4 February 2002, 04:55 PM
Thanks Moose!

I'll slip you that $10 later.

Moose
4 February 2002, 05:14 PM
Moose Steeples his fingers "Excellent":D

Nazgul
5 February 2002, 03:15 AM
Isn't it cute the way he always tents his fingers like that.

And isn't it cute they way you always say "Excellent"

frozenjedi
5 February 2002, 02:46 PM
I have to say i do enjoy the new look , though my favorite feature has to be the search.

it is fabulous that i can search the forums, conversions , and the network sites quickly and efficiently for anything i need .

keep up the good work guys ,

Armage Bedar
5 February 2002, 03:47 PM
No offense taken, revstrone - your comments were valuable even if I disagreed with them :-) Thanks for the kind words, though, and I'm glad you understand why we did what we did.

Welcome to the HoloNet!

Jake Sunspot
5 February 2002, 09:10 PM
I think the new look is absolutely incredible. I really liked the layout of the new holo net forums, and I like the colors too. The pictures at the top are also very actractive and a nice touch. Sometimes its easy to get bogged down in a page that is all text. Since most of the stats and whatnot posted here are without pictures, its nice to have them to look at.

Impressive...............Most Impressive.B)

barna284
9 February 2002, 06:41 PM
Congrats to the SWRPGN for this new look...cartainly makes the site less WOTC looking, and nicer to the eye...a real improvement for the site.

Reverend Strone
27 February 2002, 11:16 AM
You know, since my last post, I have to admit, it's growing on me.

And I do think this new design is incredibly easy to navigate around. It's also got so many cool little features I'm still discovering.

Form should after all, follow function.

Ash DuQuennes
12 March 2002, 09:42 AM
I wouldn't mind donating some money, if it werent for the problems i have getting onto the HoloNet. Just about every time I try to log on, I get "Server too busy" messages, and I have to spend endless minutes trying to get in.

Has anyone raised the possibility of use-based fees, or membership fees? I generally detest such things, but short of opening the HoloNet to advertisers (which I hate even more) to defray the server costs, member or use-based fees seem like a practical option. It would weed out some of the punters, and maybe relieve some of the strain on the server as some people will not want to pay for the use of the HoloNet.

The downside I see is that not everyone (ironically, myself included at the moment) can afford additional outlays of income, and the fact that a person's contribution to the HoloNet (their quality of posts/insight/commentary) is not based upon their RL income levels.

I would hate to exclude quality posters on that basis.

Gulmyros
12 March 2002, 02:19 PM
It's an unfortunate cycle.

A user gets the "server busy" message, so they're less likely to donate money to someting that's frustrating them. But without financial help, the HoloNet's not likely to find itself on a dedicated server so those messages can go away.

And yeah, membership fees would definitely thin the herd, which could be both good and bad.

It's kinda a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation.