PDA

View Full Version : Start a new campaign or wait ???

Cobra_Firefly
4 February 2002, 10:12 PM
I was on the original SW D20 playtest, and purchased the game when it was published.
My game group is pretty anal after playing various RPGs for the last 20 years. When we tried to start up a campaign with the published D20 rules, so many problems, inconsistancies, and quirky errors came up with various rules that my game group was bothered enough not to want to play.
So we moved on to D&D with the idea of revisiting Star Wars when it was 'fixed'. The sourcebooks that have come out have added to the problem, but the errata and Gamer issues have corrected some (But not all) of my player's complaints.
As Episode II approaches, I am getting more and more excited about running the campaign we have been putting off, even moreso now that I know a CORRECTED, REVISED, or WHATEVER YOU WANT TO CALL IT rulebook is coming.
My question to you guys is: Should I start a new campaign with the existing rules and the fixes spread throughout the errata and gamer magazines, or should I just wait until the new book comes out ?
I know I could convince them to give the game a shot with the corrections that have been introduced. I don't know how they would react to trying to convert their characters if the new book has some MAJOR changes in it.
Just looking for an outside perspective. Thanks in advance for your advice.
:?

Donovan Morningfire
5 February 2002, 04:34 AM
Considering the grumpiness of your group over having to change things, I'd say wait the couple of months before running a d20 game. From the sounds of things, it seems all of the classes were tweaked/overhauled.

Might be a bit of torture waiting, but at least you won't have to worry about character conversions when the new CR comes out :D

QWERTY
5 February 2002, 04:39 AM
Thank god my players arnt like yours. Theres not that many holes in the system + the more star wars the better

DirkGreystoke
5 February 2002, 02:15 PM
Yeah, if they are that picky I would wait because it looks like the conversions, although minor, are going to be another headache. Maybe play a few introduction adventures or something.

But, I have to ask, who are these guys? Every game has its faults, but can't they get beyond the rules and tell a good story? That is after all, the goal of roleplaying. It isn't just crunching numbers. You might want to consider adding some new players who are a bit less anal.

Matt Richard
5 February 2002, 03:48 PM
Not only will the new rulebook come with revisions (thank God), but it will also go more indepth. Supposedly, much more aliens, new space rules, everything.

So you might have anxiety over wanting to play your campaign. But think of it this way: at least you wont get a headache when you play with the new rules (instead of having to convert everything from old rules to new rules).

I must admitt, I had this same problem, so you are not alone. I decided to wait.

Cobra_Firefly
5 February 2002, 05:46 PM
I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one.

It's not that my players are all that bad, it's just that they have played games for SO long, they expect the game system to be done right - so that they don't have to spend time on rules fixes.
That way, they can concentrate on their characters and the story INSTEAD of messed up rules.

I kind of have to agree with them (Even though I would have been the one making the rules fixes).

I'm going to concentrate on the storyline and wait for the new book.

Talonne Hauk
6 February 2002, 09:39 PM
Actually, if you're ready to play, I'd get started now. I've found with d20 that the most time consuming aspect of getting started is rolling up new characters. Besides, from what I've heard and read, the new rules won't constitute a huge revision. There will be a change here and there, but nothing major. But I play pretty loosely with the rules, so my players aren't too nit-picky anyway. I kind of know where you're coming from, though. One of my players was hugely into D&D 2nd edition when he was in the Navy. (What else was there to do when you're stuck on a small boat with a bunch of guys?) Even though he agrees that he probably has a good grasp on 3rd edition rules through playing Star Wars, he refuses to play it, regardless that it's proven itself to be a superior system. It all depends on your players. If they have a genuine disgust of the current system, wait. But if you can come up with a few house rules to mollify their concerns, why deprive yourself of a good time?

Ian O'Rourke
10 February 2002, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by Cobra_Firefly
It's not that my players are all that bad, it's just that they have played games for SO long, they expect the game system to be done right - so that they don't have to spend time on rules fixes.

Yeah, I'd wait for the new book, though I'd put 10 on your players not being satisfied with that edition either :)

Anyway, that's what I'm doing, as we've started an Adventure! campaign (screw this George Lucas crap, just go to the source :rolleyes: ) and by the time that has finished the new rules should have been out for a while.