PDA

View Full Version : Major Projects

Moridin
5 February 2002, 08:06 PM
OK, kids, I want to test the waters and see what people would like to see out of me. I was looking at the requests, and most everything on there is either being touched on in some way by WotC (meaning I'll hold off on it until I see what's the deal) or something I am going to tackle soon. However, I'd like to do a couple of major projects each month, along the lines of the Net.Guides or Infinities stories and so on.

So, I need your help. Which of these sound appealing?

1) Hombrew Sector: Once a month, a new guide will be posted (a la the Secrets of... articles) for a planet in this homebrewed sector. The guide will be dual-system and covering the locale over the course of all 5 eras. A general sector guide would round out all the non-locale specific stuff at the end of the run.

2) New Infinities storylines: Another Infinities series, or several one/two-shots, but not in the Darth Gadrel universe.

3) Old Republic-era adventure: This 4-parter is meant for heroes from the time of the Sith Empire all the way until the Battle of Ruusan.

4) Rebellion Era adventure: Another multi-part adventure. Anyone who saw the Jaws of the Sarlacc adventure before will be familiar with the storyline. I'll be re-vamping that adventure, making it dual-system, and expanding and continuing the story.

5) Net.Guide to Cybernetics: Dual-system guide, with rules based on/including existing D6 rules (expanded of course).

In addition to those above, you WILL be getting the following:
Rejected articles from Star Wars Gamer
A continuation of the story in Darkness of the Past
Observations on upcoming NJO novels.
So, let me know what you want.

frozenjedi
5 February 2002, 09:21 PM
After seeing what a great job you guys did on the net.guide to slicers , i cant wait to see how well cybernetics turns out.

heres to another great project regardless of the poll's outcome.

Tem_Starrunner
6 February 2002, 12:30 PM
I thought the other Net.Guides were great so I'd really like to see a Net.guide to cybernetics. I can just imagine the fun I could have with that. I'd like to see the down side of getting faulty cybernetics so keep that in mind.

It would be nice to see some more Infinities storylines. As for a sector guide I don't really care for the idea (I find a single sector a bit limiting to players though that from my experience as GM). A secrets of (insert planet name here) would be cool and would give GM ideas.

Story ideas are all right especially if they are opened ended with no place in particular where they take place. Like something like the ideas that were in the first Gamemaster Screen for 2ed.

Kobayashi_Maru
6 February 2002, 01:13 PM
Eventough I voted cybernetics, I woulddn't mind any of those ideas being tackled.

Here's a list in order of what I like:
1-Cybernetics
2-Homebrew Sector (this is a close second)
3-Old Republic
4-Rebellion
5-Infinities

It was a hard choice since I liked all the ideas presented!!!!!!!!

Kas'ir Faywind
6 February 2002, 03:49 PM
Would really like the Homebrew Sector since I dont like every mission taking place on Tantoine (sp?) or Bespin. Getting basic knowledge of some planets would be nice so i dont have to BS most of it off the top of my head.

Although the cybernetics is a close second.

Jake Sunspot
6 February 2002, 05:32 PM
I'm with Kobayashi, I am currently working on Homebrew cybernetics bassed on the cybernetics rules from Shadowrun. I would love to see what you guys are comming up with. On the other hand I'd also like to see homebrew sectors, and rebellion era adventures. I enjoied the Darth Gardrel Saga and would like to see/contribute more of this type of material as well.

Keep up the good work
Jake

Rigil Kent
6 February 2002, 06:36 PM
How about all of it at once? :D

Seriously, I voted for Cybernetics as well, although I'd love to see another Infinities by Moridin. The first one absolutely rocked and I wish there were some way I could have worked that into my gaming continuity.

Adventures are always nice as well. See? All of it at once!

Kayle Skolaris
7 February 2002, 04:16 PM
Cybernetics guide, definitely... Not that I need it, since I've already got a rather well-developed system of my own... But still, if I see one more Sector Setting without a full scale sector fleet as outlined in The Imperial Sourcebook, I'mma gonna go postal on somebody...

Kobayashi_Maru
7 February 2002, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by Kayle Skolaris
I've already got a rather well-developed system of my own... if I see one more Sector Setting without a full scale sector fleet as outlined in The Imperial Sourcebook, I'mma gonna go postal on somebody...

I wouldn't mind seeing your cyber-systems, if you don't mind sharing them!

Why does it have to follow the Imp. Sourcebook (which I don't have so it may be excellent)? Maybe the Sect. Setting could just be an overview and each GM could fill in the particulars according to the Era of Play and bang you got it. But its not my project so I son't want to pressume. I was wondering why ImpSB if you aren't playing in the Rebellion Era?!?

fury
7 February 2002, 09:11 PM
There are seemingly thousands upon thousands of homebrew items and systems out there that can be improved on. I would imagine anything from the mind of Moridin would be near the top of the pile in that regard.

However....I voted for Infinities because that is what I have enjoyed most of late. Please don't leave those ideas to simmer on the back burner no matter where the concept places in this poll.

Lord Byss
8 February 2002, 07:21 AM
Im with Kas'ir Faywind on this one. As a previous d6 player, there was ample resurces for sectors, suppose I'm just getting a bit homesick but I would like a all new, all singing, all dancing d20 sector.

saucercrab
8 February 2002, 05:13 PM
I voted for cybernetics

Go cyborg!
- Stewie, from The Family Guy

That about sums it up.

Raiden
27 February 2002, 11:29 AM
I would really like to see a net guide To cybertechnology. Something else that comes to mind is a net guide to bio-organic technologies and enhancements. I was wondering if such a thing already exists or is being thought of.

dgswensen
27 February 2002, 11:52 AM
I personally voted for a homebrew sector setting. From the looks of it, this may be an unpopular opinion, but I'm not at all interested in cybernetics where Star Wars is concerned. It might be sort of fun to look at, but unless I were planning on making lots of cybernetic characters, I wouldn't get much utility out of it -- since if I were going to go that route, I'd just go play Cyberpunk or Shadowrun.

Sure, I might have need for some guy with a cybernetic arm or eye or what have you -- but that sort of thing, I could just spot-rule... I wouldn't need a whole guide for it.

A sector guide, on the other hand, would provide a lot more utilitiy in terms of story ideas, adventure seeds, cool settings, interesting NPCs, and even new races / equipment / ships, depending on how detailed one wanted to get. In other words, a lot more mileage.

So, since you asked, there's one man's opinion. :)

Kayle Skolaris
27 February 2002, 01:29 PM
Yeah, but there's a half dozen homebrew sector settings on the 'net already. They're so common it's hard to find a site that ISN'T one. Let's have something new and different for a change.

Jake Sunspot
27 February 2002, 02:59 PM
Yeah, but I can see that dgswensen has a point. I voted for a net guide to cybernetics, which apparently is far and away the most popular choice. However, I do see how that net guide would only be of intrest to those of us who have lots of cybernetics in "our" SW galaxies. A homebrew sector on the other hand would likely have something that every one of us could benifit from. We might not use all of what would be provided, but I'm sure there would be something. And personally, I have found very few "homebrew" sectors on other websites that had anything I could use. I'm pretty particular about what I do and don't use in my gameworld, I even ignore some of the "cannonical" material. I don't want to sound like a suck up here, but I think that considering the quality of the material that is posted on swrpgnetwork, it would be a great resource. I just finished reading the Moddell Sector article in gamer 9 and I would be just as pleased with a new sector (or a defining or an existing one). I'm sure that there are alot of us for which it was kind of a tough choice, I would've voted for both if I could.B)

dgswensen
27 February 2002, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by Jake Sunspot
And personally, I have found very few "homebrew" sectors on other websites that had anything I could use... considering the quality of the material that is posted on swrpgnetwork, it would be a great resource.

Actually, this is exactly why I would be interested in a sector guide from swrpgnetwork. Most everything archived here is of high quality, well thought out, and best of all, presented in a clean and orderly fashion. I hate to sound like a snob here... someone might have some of the most well-written content around, but if it's on a Geocities site with dark blue text on a black starfield surrounded by animated GIFs while the MIDI Star Wars theme plays in the background, I'm not sticking around to find out how good it is. I never have to worry about that on this site.

Anyway... the sector guide has less than half the votes that a cybernetics guide does, so this is obviously a minority view, but I wanted to put in my two cents anyway. And for the record, I don't think a cybernetics guide would be bad at all... I just wouldn't get much use out of it personally.

Kayle Skolaris
27 February 2002, 03:40 PM
but if it's on a Geocities site with dark blue text on a black starfield surrounded by animated GIFs while the MIDI Star Wars theme plays in the background, I'm not sticking around to find out how good it is.

AMEN, Brother DG! When I'm online, I ALWAYS have a CD playing in the background and there is quite literally nothing more annoying than having the Imperial March competing with Iron Maiden for airtime.

Nova Spice
13 March 2002, 06:15 PM
Moridin, mark me down for a Rebellion-era Adventure. Mainly because I'm GMing a campaign during that time and I need ideas from your creative abilities. I remember quite well your old adventures posted on the old SWRPGDatabase site, they were quite good and I wish I could access some posted adventures for quick use and reference.
Second, would be the Homebrew Sector, since I attempt that feat quite often in my own group. Usually dont do as good as I'd like :p
BTW,where did those adventures go?

Aaron B'Aviv
14 March 2002, 07:43 PM
I voted for Homebrew Sector. That would be the most generally useful thing- even if you don't take your players to the sector, there's sure to be something you can find that will be useful.

I'd also suggest that now that we have a Submissions area on the Network, you integrate that resource into a Homebrew Sector. Invite people to add new areas to the worlds you've created. Of course, you have final editorial control over this, but it'll allow a Homebrew Sector to be more thorough and comprehensive, and give it a unique feel.

Jake Sunspot
15 March 2002, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by Aaron B'Aviv
I'd also suggest that now that we have a Submissions area on the Network, you integrate that resource into a Homebrew Sector.... it'll allow a Homebrew Sector to be more thorough and comprehensive, and give it a unique feel.

THATS A GREAT IDEA. Not only would it be more comprehensive, but also it would be a group effort. Those that contribute to it could take pride in the way that their contribution added to the overall feel and color of the sector. It would also take some of the responsibility off of our very busy webmasters, which could leave them free to work on other projects. I think it would be great to see what would happen if several gamemasters and players from around the world all contributed to creating a sector or two. I'd contribute:)