PDA

View Full Version : STAT REQUEST: MK19 40mm Machine Gun

Arakyd
6 February 2002, 10:51 AM
Anybody want to take a stab at making stats for this?

http://www.hqmc.usmc.mil/factfile.nsf/7e931335d515626a8525628100676e0c/9867a7c6f72a0ad08525627c006cb4ef?OpenDocument

Grimace
6 February 2002, 08:26 PM
Do you want powerful or "realistic" stats for it?

Arakyd
7 February 2002, 02:54 AM
Originally posted by Grimace
Do you want powerful or "realistic" stats for it?

Well... I don't want stats that unbalance the game. While still making it as much like the real-world version as possible.

wolfe
7 February 2002, 04:28 AM
the info the link has left out( leave it to the marines (j/k),
it can fire individual 40mm grenades or the 50 belt linked 40mm hvhe or hvhedp( high velocity high explosive/high velocity high explosive dual purpose), this also has the capability to perform indirect fire out to 3+ km.
each round is .4 kg and each belt is 25 kg.
The rounds are impact detonation only and arm aftergoing about 15 or so meters.

I just use an espo mortar with increased range and ifr(inderect fire range) of 4km,can't find it at the moment or i'd give ya the range change.

Arakyd
7 February 2002, 04:45 AM
Thanks Wolfe, for the Info!

My biggest problem with making stats for this is how much damage would a 40 mm grenade do, and also what is its blast radius? What scale should it be? The web page says it can blast through 2 inches of armor.

wolfe
7 February 2002, 04:59 AM
well as for the 2 " of armor just call it metal plate as it would depend on the armor.( it's NOT going to penetrate the armor of an m1 trust me and could mess up a m2 ifv pretty good) the blast radi of 40mm grenades is actally qiute the same as hand grenades. the damage is also not too dissimilar. the sats i use for the dual purpose round is the same as for the antivehicle grenade found in AJ1 #3 pg185:
damage :7D
blast radius: 5m (not in book was personally added)
when used against speeder scale or smaller do not use the scale comparrison chart.

Arakyd
7 February 2002, 06:17 AM
40mm Machine Gun

Model: BlasTech 40mm Machine Gun
Type: Three-Man Automatic Grenade Launcher
Scale: Speeder
Skill: Missile Weapons: Grenade launcher
Ammo: 50 (belt fed)
Cost: 13,500
Availibility: 3, X
Fire Rate: 5
Range: 25-550/1600/2200
Damage: See below

Capsule: The BlasTech 40mm machine Gun was created to fill the Imperial need of mobile artillery. This three man gun can be moved swift enough to keep up, and provide covering fire for advancing forces. The weapon is also good for static defense. It can be used in both anti-armor and anti-infantry roles.

The crew includes, a gunner, an ammo feeder, and an ammo carrier. It breaks down into two part andis carried by the gunner & ammo feeder.

HEDP (High-Explosive, Dual-Purpose)

Model: Standard 40mm cartridge
Type: Explosive
Cost: 1500 per 50 round belt
Availability: 3, X
Blast Radius: 0-5/10/15
Damage: 7D/4D/2D

Capsule: This cartridge is used for both anti-armor and anti-personel.

HE (High-Explosive)

Model: Anti-personel 40mm cartridge
Scale: Character
Cost: 1000 per 50 round belt
Availibility: 2, X
Damage: 5D/3D/2D

Capsule: This cartridge is used in the anti-infantry role only. It has no armor penetration ability.

wolfe
7 February 2002, 11:36 AM
nice, for damage I would put as ammo type used and then list the different types of ammo and it's damage.
the "real" mk19 uses he and dp but for a "game" version I don't see why you couldn't use different types.
as stated before i just use standard grenade damage and blast radius for mine (just so I don't have to worry about creating my own and for game balance).

The reason I use the rof of 5 is because the cyclic rate of this beast is about 375 rpm, 6+ rounds a second, tell me how in this game system would you handle that? I prefer not too, as it would unbalance the game,and explains why every vehicle doesn't have one mounted on it.
but added this just incase you want to do it differently.

I also PM'd ya..

Arakyd
8 February 2002, 04:45 AM
I changed the stats above to the latest, and hopefully final version of the weapon.

I would like to give many thanks to Wolfe, for all the help he gave me. :D

Deck
8 February 2002, 12:56 PM
Pretty nice design here! :) It's cool to see some original pieces of equipment on the board. And I'll be glad hosting them on my site. :)

Cool job!

Kelzar
9 February 2002, 01:46 PM
Here is what I came up with a while back for the MK19 Grenade launcher. I called it something else just for the heck of it.

I have a picture of one, but I can't get it to work, so if you want to see it click here (http://www.my2by2.net/tljeep3/bfgl690.html)

The BFGL-690 is a belt fed automatic grenade launcher. Tripod mounted with an attached blast shield the 690 is capable of firing at a rate of two hundred grenades per minute and with a maximum range of eight hundred meters the launcher can rain death on approaching troops and vehicles. The grenade belts are fed into the launcher from the side and each belt holds fifty grenades and can be mixed and matched for the desired load. The most common mix is fragmentation, incendiary, concussion, alternated. Due to the weapons attached blast shield the weapon is to heavy to move, and as such is deployed as a stationary emplacement. The 690 can also be mounted to vehicles to provide direct fire support all over the battlefield.

Belt Fed Grenade Launcher
Model: Mil-Tech Industries BFGL-690
Type: Automatic Grenade Launcher
Skill: Blaster Artillery
Ammo: 50 per belt
Crew: 2
Cover: 1/4
Cost: 5,000
Availability: 2, X
Fire Rate: 5
Range: 100-200/400/800 meters
Fire Control: 1D
Body: 2D
Blast Radius: Depends on grenade type
Damage: Depends on grenade type
Game Notes:
Grenade belts can be mixed and matched for desired load out.

Grenade Types:

High Explosive Round
Model: Mil-Tech 40mm HE Grenade
Availibility: 2,R or X
Damage: 6D/4D/2D

Fragmentation Round
Model: Mil-Tech Fragmentation Grenade
Blast Radius: 0-10/20/30
Damage: 5D/3D/2D

Incendary Round
Model: Mil-Tech Incendary Grenade
Damage: 6D/5D/4D (for three rounds)

Concussion Round
Model: Mil-Tech Concussion Grenade
Damage: 4D/3D/2D (Stun Damage)

Grimace
9 February 2002, 05:52 PM
Sorry it took me so long to respond. Been having troubles getting on to the board.

Here's my rendition...perhaps a bit underpowered to others, but this is what I think would be appropriate, based on what I've seen for Stormtrooper armor and such.

Mk-19 Grenade Launcher
Cost: 50,000
Rate of Fire: 5
Direct Fire range: 200 / 400 / 800
Indirect Fire range: 3 km max

Rounds:
HVHE
Cost: 250 per case of 50
Blast Radius: 0-5 / 10 / 15
Damage: 5D / 4D / 3D

HVHEDP
Cost: 400 per case of 50
Blast Radius: 0-5 / 10 / 15
Damage: 5D / 4D / 3D

ltpeachy
10 February 2002, 08:01 AM
I think damage should be around the 5D range - more than that and it's unbalanced.
As for simulating the automatic capability, you could say provide a -1 penalty for multiple shots rather than -1D.

Ash DuQuennes
7 March 2002, 01:20 PM
A note of Rates-of-Fire: fully automatic weapons usually have their maximum cyclic rate of fire listed. That is, for example, a machinegun that is a 600 round-per-minute weapon will typically fire 600 rounds were one to depress the trigger for one full minute. Rates will vary depending upon several factors (gas operated, recoil operated, condition of weapon, maintenance status, etc) but these would only unecessarily complicate game mechanics to try to incorporate, unless the GM decides he needs to toss it in at dramatically appropriate moments.

However, machineguns operate at their sustained rate-of-fire. This is the rate-of-fire the weapon can sustain without tearing up the mechanism/action, typically from overheating. The sustained rate-of-fire varies greatly by individual weapon, but is usually about 20%, up to 40% for really well-built machineguns. This plays out as 10-20 second bursts for light machineguns (say, 7.62 NATO calibers) or 5-10 second bursts for heavier machineguns (like the venerable but effective Browning M2 "Ma Deuce" .50 cal.)

If you think that this might seriously unbalance your game, remember how the machineguns available to us in WW 1 turned the fixed/positional warfare being practiced at the time into a form a suicide for infantry, and spawned the invention of the Tank.

However, when things go south (like they are wont to do in combat), the poor schmucks getting hammered/overrun rarely concern themselves with wear-and-tear to the weapon, and instead concentrate on laying down as much lead as possible.

Machinegun designers (Stoner, Maxim, Browning, et.al.,) figured this out and incorporated quick-change barrel mechanisms into their designs.
While this feature slightly degrades accuracy, considering that the machinegun is actually an area-affect weapon, the loss is inconsequential, really.

Now: onto the Mk. 19 and explosive munitions.

The 375 rpm cyclic rof listed for the mk. 19 translates to about 30 rounds fired in a 5 second combat round. Going off of the BlasTech Riot Gun detailed in the Corporate Sector Authority Sourcebook, each pull of the trigger fires five individual blasts, and the gun capable of firing 6 such "bursts" per combat round, for 30 individual 5D+1 blaster bolts!

So, keeping the real 375 rpm rof for the mk. 19 isn't necessarily unrealistic, or even unbalanced. If it mows through Stormtroopers like a scythe, you as a GM aren't playing them correctly. The Empire isn't incompetent (no matter how much WEG tried to make them seem that way), and Stormtroopers aren't stupid. They (and their commanders) have equal access to firepower, and can use the same tactics, as your PCs.

And a thing to remember about munitions. High Explosive and Fragmentation are one-in-the-same. Concussion rounds have the same powder charge as HE/Frag, but have a cellulose or plastic non-fragmenting casing. The "blast" is meant to stun, but if one landed close enough to (or actually hit) a target...well, it would really suck to be that target. But not for very long. ;)

Armor Piercing rounds tend to utilize shaped-charge detonations to burn through armor; as such, they typically have a greatly reduced blast range (the explosive force is being focused into an extremely narrow "cone," therefore less is wasted in an omni-directional, area-affect "blast.") They are also typically weighted to fly and land "nose-down," similar to a mortar round.

All 40mm munitions are fired from rifled barrels, for spin stabilization to impart accuracy throughout its flight path. They are also "spin armed." That means that you can smack the detonator tip of an unarmed 40mm projectile without having to worry about it going off.

I've seen infantry guys messing around with excess 40mm munitions. They'll sometimes smack the tip of the projectile on the ground, and then put in into a M-203 grenade launcher and fire it. About 7-10 m away, it goes BOOM! Needless to say, they are behind cover when they fire it, as 7-10 m is "danger-close."

Note: you can use standard 40mm rounds in the mk. 19, but you cannot use the HV mk. 19 40mm rounds in an M-203 grenade launcher!!!

Now: who wants to know about Gatlin Laser Point-Defense Weapons Pods for anti-strafighter defense on their Capital-class ships?
B)