PDA

View Full Version : SWRPG site?

JediMasterMaya
9 February 2002, 07:46 AM
Hi!

I was just wondering.... As I was filing our 7th mission in a folder, I had a thought (yes, I did! :p ). If I ever had time, I could put these adventures on a webpage and start a site. Now, having never done this before, I wondered if one needed to get authorizations from SW people, WoTC people, anybody at all??? Nowadays, you never know... I know quite a few of you have site about their sector and gaming stuff, so I thought you might be able to, once again, enlighten me. :D

Now, another question... If I ever did this, I don't know which kind of page to use. I mean by that that I use AOL as a provider and frankly their webpage maker kinda sucks a bit. I've used Geocities, but wasn't too crazy about it for another kind of webpage I did a while back. Does anyone know of a free page place that would be good and not too confusing or limiting?

Thanks guys! :)

How many posts was it again that one needs to be able to change title?? 200 is what I think I remember, is that correct? Boy, I need to log on more! Well, I guess you haven't heard the last of me yet! :D

Matt Richard
9 February 2002, 08:34 AM
No, you do not need special authorazations to make a site like that. The only time you need special authorazation is when you post a copyrighted material (so basically, only post stuff you have created, then there is not a problem)

There are plenty of places that will host your page. For my page (THE CARTEL, Your ultimate SWRPG Resource), Im using Tripod (tripod.com). Im satisfied with it, it comes with scripts premade for people like me who couldn't tell the difference between a Java Script and chicken scratch.

Now, just because you make a site and post it on the web, doesnt mean anyones going to see it. When you publish your site, it doesnt automatically get on web browsers like Yahoo, Google, etc. unless you pay money. If you dont want to spend money, then what you can do is what I do. Tell the people on the HoloNet (via the Trader's InfoNet), submitt it to SWRPG Link Archive, and when your ready for three guys to totally blast your site, submitt it to SWRPG Reviewed Sites, but if you make a good site the guys at Reviewed Sites will say so, and sometimes give you an award for it.

Good Luck, and May the Force Be With You.

Chris Curtis
9 February 2002, 09:02 AM
Thanks for the mentions of Star Wars RPG Link Archive (http://starwars-rpg.net/linkarchive/) and Reviewed Sites (http://starwars-rpg.net/reviewedsites/) (I help run both). We're trying to make them good community resources both for those who have sites and for those trying to find them.

Now, as to creating a site...

Before you ever start worrying about how you're going to create the page, where you'll create it, etc., you need to think about what you want the site to be. Consider what types of content you want to offer. Do you want only logs of your group's missions, or do you want to put up a few stats as well? Maybe you also want to post information about locations or organizations. Once you have an idea of what you want to do, you can start worrying about how to do it.

For anyone who wants to create a site, I always suggest that they learn at least the basics of HTML. Even if you use an editor to create your pages, this knowledge will still be invaluable in finding problems or tweaking the results that the editor gives you. Here are a couple of sources with information on introductions to HTML:

HTML Writer's Guild (http://www.hwg.org/resources/?cid=14)
WebMonkey (http://hotwired.lycos.com/webmonkey/authoring/html_basics/)

If you don't want to use a page/site builder from your hosting service (i.e. ones like Tripod and Geocities have), then you'll need to find an editor that you can use on your own computer. If you don't know a lot of HTML, you'll need a WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get) editor. The one I use (Dreamweaver (http://www.macromedia.com/)) is very powerful, but it's also not free. Just do a simple search for "free WYSIWYG HTML editor" and spend some time looking at the various options.

If you don't have your own web space or don't want to shell out the cash for one, then you'll need a free webhosting service. Tripod and Geocities are certainly viable options, but there are others as well. Do a search for free hosting (http://www.hostsearch.com/freehost_zone.asp) or very cheap or free (http://hotwired.lycos.com/webmonkey/02/01/index4a.html?tw=design) hosts.

Whew, that was a lot to type. We'll be happy to help more if you have other questions. Don't be shy to ask! ;)

Matt Richard
9 February 2002, 09:54 AM
When I was starting out (I guess I cant say that, since I still am), I knew NOTHING about HTML, so I tried looking on the web. Ive noticed that they dont really help, unless you already have some HTML knowledge. So what I did is go to the library and checked out an HTML book.

Then again, if you can understand the web pages that are supposed to help newbies to HTML, then more power to you.

JediMasterMaya
9 February 2002, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by Chris Curtis
Before you ever start worrying about how you're going to create the page, where you'll create it, etc., you need to think about what you want the site to be. Consider what types of content you want to offer. Do you want only logs of your group's missions, or do you want to put up a few stats as well? Maybe you also want to post information about locations or organizations. Once you have an idea of what you want to do, you can start worrying about how to do it.

Well, I was thinking about putting up our group characters, plus NPCs I have, but also adventures I made up (I am debating if I want to make a log of what happened to the group, or if I just want to show adventure threads for others to use... Maybe I can do both... That's not yet very clear in my head). I was going to write down planets I made, plus species too. The main opponents for our group (the Phoenix is one, but I have prepared a group of rising Darksiders for our next campain too, whom they briefly met once during last mission), ans some funny stuff that might have gone on along the way.

For anyone who wants to create a site, I always suggest that they learn at least the basics of HTML. Even if you use an editor to create your pages, this knowledge will still be invaluable in finding problems or tweaking the results that the editor gives you.

Well, I do have some basics of HTML, but I always need the tags written down otherwise I forget which order they go in. I had gotten a library book (what am I saying, 10 or 12 would be more accurate! :D ) about it and tried my hand at a webpage just to see if I could do it right... I learned some stuff about HTML, the only thing I could not do right are the tags for "mailto" (I mean, I did the tag, but it never worked, but I think that was a problem with the yahoo site I was using, it kept sending my mailto tag to another address than the one I wanted. The one thing I had big problems with were tags for tables and polls. That one, I just found some Websites that gave ideas and samples and just copied the tags to arrange them the way I wanted them (changed the words inside, of course, plus the number of columns and lines...)

Thanks for the links, I'll check them out, and also for the tips. I can always use more brains. :D :D

JediMasterMaya
9 February 2002, 11:28 PM
Oops... hit the button and sent my message before I read it over, and of course I fogot things...

Anyway, I thought about putting links to other sites in my website... When I do start doing that, I'll first ask here for any links to any websites people here own and if they want me to link to their page.

But right now, I've got to right down on paper what I'll be doing (helps me get a clear idea), plus an outline of what my site will look like, the different interactions between pages, the order and organization... well, you know all the work that comes before the fun part. ;)

Oh, any idea where I can find some space looking gifs, jpeg, stuff like that while I'm thinking of it? (I'm storing all the links in a folder in my favorite places for safekeeping, so I might as well ask now).

Thanks a bunch.

:)

Strikerkc
10 February 2002, 07:25 AM
i have a few web sites out there that i play around with ocasionaly and have been toying with the idea of making a similar SWRPG site myself.

the best combonation for makeing websites when you don't know how to use html (like me), is to go to Angelfire.com for your free site because they don't have that anoying drop down menu like geocities and they let you use your own html editors. and use microsoft front page to edit your site.

if you have windows you should at least have a trial version of front page. and if you have a full version of any microsoft office versions you have a complete version of front page.

i hope i've helped in some way

Gulmyros
10 February 2002, 08:48 AM
I've got some simple, rather basic things that might help you get started. I'll PM you some things to take a look at to see if they help.

Gulmyros
13 February 2002, 02:49 PM
JMM,

Just a reminder that you have a Private Message waiting for you in your box. I noticed that you hadn't seen it yet and would have sent you email, but that function's turned off in your profile. So I thought I'd drop a line back here in the thread.

Wade Trenor
13 February 2002, 03:18 PM
Since it's impossible to write about Star Wars without mentioning Storm Troopers, the Vong, etc, I suggest you put in a disclaimer on your main page stating that they are property of lucasfilm/arts/licensing and you are borrowing them to tell your story. :)

Another thing you might try is to look out for webrings, and see if you can't join one. You'll need a good site to be accepted, but you know that your site will be visited (in which case, use a counter to see how many times the site is hit).

Moridin
13 February 2002, 03:51 PM
And (shameless plug) feel free to submit your adventures to SWRPGNetwork Submissions (http://submissions.swrpgnetwork.com) .

JediMasterMaya
13 February 2002, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by Wade Trenor
Since it's impossible to write about Star Wars without mentioning Storm Troopers, the Vong, etc, I suggest you put in a disclaimer on your main page stating that they are property of lucasfilm/arts/licensing and you are borrowing them to tell your story. :)

Another thing you might try is to look out for webrings, and see if you can't join one. You'll need a good site to be accepted, but you know that your site will be visited (in which case, use a counter to see how many times the site is hit).

Thanks, I was wondering what to do about that. Now, do you just write a line that mentions all those words that you used that are Lucas', or just the main stuff? By that, I mean, do I just write "Jedi, Corellia, Coruscant, Master Windu, etc...", or do I have to add all the tech terms like "hyperspace, podracer, etc..." as well?

Something else I've noticed... Some sites I've seen have real pix from SW... I thought you couldn't use things like that??? Unless maybe they have permission... :?

Anyway, thanks again. :)

JediMasterMaya
13 February 2002, 11:55 PM
Originally posted by Moridin
And (shameless plug) feel free to submit your adventures to SWRPGNetwork Submissions.

Hey, thanks! I didn't even know about the sbmission page! :o

Gotta check every link on the site one day... :D

JediMasterMaya
14 February 2002, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by Gulmyros
JMM,

Just a reminder that you have a Private Message waiting for you in your box. I noticed that you hadn't seen it yet and would have sent you email, but that function's turned off in your profile. So I thought I'd drop a line back here in the thread.

I did notice I had a new PM, thanks. Haven't had a chance to look at it yet, sorry about that. 3 of us use the Internet at home, so I don't get to sing on as often as I'd like...Oh well... Promise I'll get to is by the weekend. :D

Oh... yes, I turned off E-Mail feature in my profile is because, when I first signed up, I didn't know anyone here, and I didn't want my e-mail to be known by the whole world... :D

Wade Trenor
14 February 2002, 01:42 AM
I got this from a story at FanFiction.Net:

I own nothing. All that I have belongs to my Master George: my money, my action figures, my dreams and fantasies. In return he gives me wisdom, many lessons in patience and humility, and the best galaxy in the universe to play in. All hail Master George!
or,
I do not own any characters in this fic. They are property of Mr. Lucas.

In regards to the pics, a lot of them will have "C Lucasfilm ltd", or similar on the bottom of the image. This should mean it's OK to put up on the site. :)

Corsair
14 February 2002, 04:47 PM
Well,

You could always decide to use scripts (PERL/CGI) on your site, they help a whole lot when making additions or modifications to content. These scripts are usually freely available at places such as The CGI Resource Index (http://www.cgi-resources.com/) .

My site (shameless plug time) Nashidar Raiders (http://nashidar.netfirms.com) is totally run by scripts. I have News script (so I can post/delete/etc news) , a stories script (for Mission summaries, Character Histories, and timeline data) and a Forum script going at the moment. I have yet to implement scripts for a Table/Database for character stats, links or the albums sections yet, but they are comming up.

My site is hosted at using the free service provided by www.netfirms.com ... all they do is put one banner at the top of the site .. nothing annoying like Yahoo.

Obviously you have to know some HTML but really you can learn HTML overnight. You dont really have to know PERL (though I do) as the scripts come with pretty good instructions on how to implement them and all.

Hope this helps a little.

Sherman Shipyards
17 February 2002, 09:42 PM
During the year that I have been running my site, ShermanShipyards.com (http://www.shermanshipyards.com), I have had to take what was, at best, a clunky site and made it into something that has an average of 16 visits a day . Here are some tips that most of you may find basic, but are important.

1. Choose you main focus. What does your site have that makes it stand out? SWRPGnetwork (http://www.swrpgnetwork.com) is know for it pure volume of quality stats, StarWars-RPG.net (http://starwars-rpg.net) is know for hosting some of the best Star Wars RPG sites around, and mine is getting one for it's Star Wars vs. Star Trek section (I hope; New update mid-late March). What makes your's worth looking at?

2. Choose colors pleasing to the eye. Bright green or dark blue on a black background are hard read. So is yellow on white. (Believe it or not some SWRPG's have used this combo.)

3. Midi music is hard on the ears, and is a 100 times worse when it is on every page.

4. Respond to feed back. People are telling me that they like my SW vs. ST area so I'm making it bigger.

5. With images, Bigger is not always better. Some of us still have 56k modems and don't want to wait while your graphics load. The whole page, images and all should be under 70k.

6. State on the main page when you last updated it. I don't know if anything is new if you don't tell me.

7. Say how often you will update your page. Then I, the viewer, know when to come back and you, the webmaster, have a deadline to meet. This keeps you page leaving it alone for months on end and having it turn into web clutter.

8. Put your site on BanthaTracks.com (http://www.banthatracks.com). It is the largest Star Wars search engine I have found.

9. Remember KISS (Keep it simple stupid). I donít care if you page has more gadgets than a Swiss Army Knife. I canít find how to get to where the stats are in less than 20 seconds and there are 10 animated gifs taking up half the screen, Iím moving on!

Sherman Shipyards

P.S. JediMasterMaya: you may already have a web hosting space through AOL. They just tend to be quit about so do some digging. (Most people I know only use AOL to IM and e-mail.)