PDA

View Full Version : Info on Jedi Temple

Ash
10 February 2002, 10:19 AM
Hey everyone, I am in desperate need of maps/pictures/blue-prints of the Jedi Temple on Coruscant. Other than what little I've seen in Episode 1 I am clueless as to how the building is actually designed and layed out. If anyone has any information I would greatly appreciate it! Thank you!

Deck
10 February 2002, 01:03 PM
Well, besides the movie iteself, there exist some pictures on the net. Here is a small selection. Just use the links, they will guide you to some images.

<a href="http://cgi.theforce.net/theforce/imageFolio/prequels/imageFolio.cgi?action=view&link=Locations/Coruscant&image=3_bg.jpg&img=" target=_blank>Jedi Temple - Exterior View #1</a>

<a href="http://cgi.theforce.net/theforce/imageFolio/prequels/imageFolio.cgi?action=view&link=Locations/Coruscant&image=swig062.jpg&img=" target=_blank>Jedi Temple - Exterior View #2</a>

<a href="http://cgi.theforce.net/theforce/imageFolio/prequels/imageFolio.cgi?action=view&link=Locations/Coruscant&image=sanctum.jpg&img=" target=_blank>Jedi Temple - Interior View #1</a>

I'll let you know if I should find more adequate images. :)

frozenjedi
10 February 2002, 06:41 PM
well , while its not a map or blueprint i can give you a description of some of the locales inside that i have made and used in my game.

1: the library , a large column of space in the temple that extends under the ground several stories , data cards line the cylindrical area , which is approximatly 20 meters across . a set of repulsor platforms with library indexes onboard will guide you to your desired section. several young padawans are here , both guarding and at study.

at the bottom of the library's many floors is a secured section , this is where very old tomes , and relics are stored that would be appropriate to the library section of the temple. I often have the Jedi Master Yaddle found here .

2: the aboretum , a large single floor of the temple that houses thousands of species of flora from around the galaxy. there is an actual water fall here , that flows into a small stream that traverses the floor. the water is clean , and drinkable. a jedi resides here by the name of Ood Bnar ( found in the dark empire 2 book) . at times the jedi exploring the temple can see a group of young padawans here sitting cross-legged on the ground , meditating in front of the large Jedi - Tree.

my players liked these the best out of all the locales i had made up , so perhaps you'll find them of use

DirkGreystoke
10 February 2002, 08:17 PM
The Jedi Apprentice series has some great insight as to what the inside of the Temple might look like.

Durian Keldrona
10 February 2002, 08:37 PM
According to the jedi apprentice books

there is a vault off the council chamber

there is a room of a thousand fountains which is a garden

there are rooms for the jedi

if you read the places of the phantom menace it has a cross section of the temple

Corsair
10 February 2002, 09:20 PM
Each of the columns/spires has room at the top of them that also serves as different coucil chambers. There are a few councils other than the High Council (which is shown in TPM). There is a Reconciliation Council (i think) which has different sitting members at each meeting.

There are rooms for healers and such as well. Plus there is a sort of Arena where Masters would watch potential padawans spar off against each other and have their knowledge tested.

These testing rooms exist all over the place.

I wonder when, or if, they will release a full map of the interior of the Temple. It is pretty expansive.

Faraer
12 February 2002, 03:27 AM
It wouldn't be practical to map the whole thing, but I would love to find a one-page cross-section in Power of the Jedi.

Start with the starwars.com Databank entry (http://www.starwars.com/databank/location/jeditemple/index.html). Inside the Worlds of Star Wars Episode I (the book Durian Keldrona mentioned) has a cutaway illustration of the High Council tower, which includes a holomap room used to monitor the galaxy and the actions of Jedi Knights (also mentioned in Cloak of Deception and Jedi Apprentice). It indicates that the other towers house the Council of First Knowledge, Council of Reconciliation (handles resolutions to interworld disputes), and Reassignment Council (organizes work for students not chosen as Padawans) but I'm sceptical because the second of these is the main activity of the High Council and I suspect that all students become Padawans. 'The highest, central tower is the Temple Spire, the Jedi's most sacred place of contemplation.'

Other locations in the pyramidal Temple include, according to EU sources (mostly Jedi Apprentice), quarters for all, med center, training rooms, food hall(s), the Room of a Thousand Fountains, meditation rooms, a lake (takes up five levels, with artificial sky), conference rooms, tech center (controls Temple systems), landing platform (with space and air transports for Jedi use), with a network of turbolifts.

The Temple is glimpsed in a lot of books and comics, but no level-by-level layout has been established (though JA7 has hints). Episode II will reveal more (though it's summarized in the Databank), including I hope a good look at the library/archive (note that the Star Wars galaxy has no books). The Art of Episode I has concept art and a plan view (p. 191). Has anyone estimated the Temple's dimensions?

Corsair
12 February 2002, 02:49 PM
Wow. Thanks for that Farer. I had no idea about the lake.

Dimensionally, I would suspect pretty darn big considering what you listed. I want to know if the Temple is used from top to bottom .. like .. where the building joins the ground of Coruscant that is now totally immersed in darkness. Or was the Temple built on top of something that was already there and is now no longer used but just serves as the support structure for the Temple ?

Does the Temple extend up as high as the other buidings of Coruscant ?

Ash
12 February 2002, 03:45 PM
Thanks to everyone who provided info! Well... I am contemplating firing up Photoshop and seeing if maybe I can make some generic blueprints and ideas. Not sure how far I want to take this but it would be a great use to my campaign so keep your eyes open and maybe I'll post it here. Thanks again!

Rigil Kent
12 February 2002, 03:49 PM
Frelling double posts.

Rigil Kent
12 February 2002, 03:54 PM
There exists a cutaway view in the book "Inside the Worlds of Star Wars Episode I: The Complete Guide to the Incredible Locations from The Phantom Menace." They have it for like $11 on Amazon.

Faraer
13 February 2002, 06:42 AM
The Temple rises high above the low-rise sector it's in (1 km high according to Inside the Worlds of Episode I), but the newest and most extravagant buildings are much higher. We don't know how far down it goes because the one establishing shot in Episode I only shows the top of it, and the concept art isn't conclusive; it could have been built on something else. I'd guess all the way because the Jedi wouldn't have a subconscious underworld directly below them, though the lowest levels may be mysterious and rarely entered. If the base is 1 km in diameter that's a big building (about 300 million cubic meters, tall enough for a few hundred levels).

I assume that it's possible to generate a sensical overhead view of the various digital matte paintings of Coruscant, which would be nice to see.

I seem to remember that Dave Wolverton mentioned Obi-Wan swimming at the Jedi Temple in Jedi Apprentice #1 which was written from the screenplay before he saw the movie, and then Jude Watson rationalized it by saying there was an internal lake. '...landscaped with trees and shrubs. Narrow paths wound around the greenery. One had the illusion of being on the planet's surface instead of suspended high above.' This makes sense: otherwise Coruscant would be too barren for a good Jedi upbringing.

Inside the Worlds of Star Wars: Episode II is scheduled for 2003.