PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to Submissions!

Rigil Kent
11 February 2002, 07:55 PM
Before I say anything, I want to thank Armage and Moridin for giving me the chance to join the team. Thanks guys.

On to the business of Submissions. The floodgates are open and I'm standing by to accept your submissions. I will be fair in my decisions and since I like both D6 and D20, you don't have to worry about that.

Read the guidelines carefully before you make your submission.

Bring on the submissions! :D

Donovan Morningfire
11 February 2002, 08:29 PM
Well let me be among the first to say congratulations Rigil!

We will be watching your career with great interest :D

Frobi-Wan Kenobi
11 February 2002, 09:02 PM
Excellent. I just have to ask the question about the time it takes for the submission to get get approved and posted.

Armage Bedar
12 February 2002, 04:17 AM
The time will vary depending on a variety of factors. For example, FrobiWanKenobi, your submissions were well-written and only needed minor editing. They were also stats, so they could go up immediately. However, things like adventures, supplements, or poorly-written material takes time to go through and edit. They can take a few days, sometimes. Also, we may defer a decision on an entry until we can discuss it with the submittor.

So there are a variety of things we have to consider before we can accept or reject a submissions. Since we have a full-time staff member working on it, though, response times should be low.

Keep them coming!

Ash
12 February 2002, 05:05 AM
Hey everyone! I am looking forward to being able to really show some of my ideas in a central place but I had a couple questions.

1.) Unfortunately I never had a chance to play the West End d6 game and am only familiar with WOTC's d20. Will you still accept submissions if they are only d20? Will you convert or is it our responsibility.

2.) I've submitted a few weapon,armor, item ideas on the message boards and have a ton of others sitting in the background I'd like to share. The format I've had for my ideas is similar to the Shadowrun sourcebooks in that I've tried to make it look like a magazine article. Would it be possible to have my own "Ash's Better Guns & Armor" and from there add new pages to the "magazine"? How are the Submissions going to be organized? Any particular format?

And finally, I'm very excited about this and hope I can contribute! Should be a great addition to one of my favorite websites. Thanks!

Moridin
12 February 2002, 07:28 AM
1) I would reccommend that you find someone on these boards who is familiar with D6 to help you with the conversions.

2) I'm not entirely sure what you mean. If you mean adding another Source heading, then you should just submit it under the Original heading.

Jedi_Staailis
12 February 2002, 02:02 PM
I'm really happy to see this development. It's a great way to expand the site without killing the overworked webmasters. :D

I only hope that the submissions are carefully reviewed (like the article says, up to SWRPGNetwork standards) so that section of the site can still be useful. It's great to be able to trust the content to be balanced and usable in a game. On occasion, some of my players have gone web surfing and found stuff they wanted their characters to buy. Unfortunately, I've had to say no a lot because of game balance issues. I haven't had that problem with SWRPGNetwork, and I hope it stays that way.

Keep up the good work!

Rigil Kent
12 February 2002, 02:34 PM
Your fears are noted, Jedi_Staalis, but I think we're on the same page. There is nothing I hate more than a player showing up and asking to have a suit of armor that gives him a +15 to his Defense, with a -0 armor check penalty, a max Dex bonus of +5, AND enhances his strength by 6. Price? Oh, a couple hundred credits. :)

I will probably honk a couple people off when I reject something, but I assure you, nothing personal is intended. I will make it a point to state in no uncertain terms WHY I've rejected something and, if we can't reach an argreement, I'll pass it on to the Big Two. :D

As long as everyone knows the standards and follows them, everyone will be happy. And you don't want to see a mad Rigil. He turns green and runs around shouting "Rigil Smash!" :)

Dutcha, The Dark Jedi Jawa
14 February 2002, 11:49 AM
I'm not positive, but is the submissions area for new submissions of things already substantiated in the Star Wars universe in some way? Examples would be comics, expanded universe novels, movies, or other such things. And from those, just made up stats for something you have already seen, but has failed to be vital enough to make up actual stats for in one of the books. Or is this also for own personal made up things, that one has made up and put in their own universe from their own ideas. Such as introducing new alien species when a character of their own had crashed down on a planet, that obviously no one else has come up with, because it's based purely on things they just thought up themselves. Sorry if it's an obvious question, just wondering. So to reiterate,

Is the submissions area for completely new things? Or just from things that have not been written up for stats yet, but do live somewhere in the written Star Wars Universe?

Aaron B'Aviv
14 February 2002, 11:52 AM
Both

wow, i feel really bad using a post for that one word. so I'll stretch this out for a while.
blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah

blah blah blah blah blah blah blah

Aaron

Rigil Kent
14 February 2002, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by Dutcha, The Dark Jedi Jawa
Is the submissions area for completely new things? Or just from things that have not been written up for stats yet, but do live somewhere in the written Star Wars Universe?

Yes. :D

Although I was tempted to simply answer the question in that Kosh-like manner (B5 fans know what I mean), I suppose I can expand a bit. We are accepting homebrew stuff in addition to your own conversions from comics or WEG stuff.

Does that help?

Tossk
14 February 2002, 06:11 PM
:( I dislike the fact that you have to sumbit everyting except conversions in dual system, why can't you post an entry in one system, and when someone comments that they would like it converted, the poster could add stats at a later time, instead of having to wait for long ammounts of time before being able to submit, when no one in a certian system wants stats on an entry. After all, you webmasters do that in the first place, no offense meant.

Moridin
14 February 2002, 06:52 PM
No, we don't. We have yet to convert a large portion of our backlog, it's true. However, EVERY new piece of content posted that can be dual system has been since the launch of the Core Rulebook last November.

I'm sorry you dislike that, but we are a dual-system site. We support both D6 and D20 stats, and we expect any submissions to live up to our same standards. There are plenty of people on the Holonet who are willing to help you with conversions, and all you need to do is ask.

Tossk
15 February 2002, 01:15 PM
I'm sorry, but i've got the backlog confused with intent, but like I mentioned before, no insult or injury was intended:(

Moridin
15 February 2002, 03:51 PM
It's cool. We just want to make the site useful to players of either system.

Talonne Hauk
16 February 2002, 12:07 AM
I don't mind submitting stuff for voth systems, but there's a problem if I'm submitting a class entry, isn't there? Because d6, although it had templates, really didn't have out and out classes like d20 does. So what do you recommend in that instance?

Armage Bedar
16 February 2002, 05:57 AM
System-specific items like classes, Prestige classes, feats, and templates do NOT require a corresponding conversion. For everything else, though, we do insist upon stats for both systems (or a reference to where D6/d20 stats can be found in published material).

Tossk
23 February 2002, 05:36 PM
I was wondering, could you have a place where the submiter could upload pictures to go along with their stats and capsule since i'm getting 3D CAD for my computer and could do this easily.

Armage Bedar
26 February 2002, 05:09 AM
Right now it would be best if you email us -- or you can post it in a comment to your accepted submission. Either way works, and we'll see the picture and include it.