PDA

View Full Version : Starfighter Design Campaign

FallenAngel
13 February 2002, 09:22 AM
I'm about to begin running a campaign where the players are part of a four-person team assigned to design a new starfighter for the New Republic. They will fly many of the old favorites(y-wings, x-wings, a-wings, etc) and will have to aquire the parts for their new fighters all on their own, starting with the aquistion of a base. They have very little backup for their missions, as this is a very black black op. Does this sound like a decent storyline, and where would they go to aquire some of the materials?? (oh, and the era is about the time of the Black Fleet crisis).

BrianDavion
13 February 2002, 10:40 AM
sounds cool some suggestions

1) get star ships of the galaxy (hopefully you should already have it but better for me to take nothing for granted

2) DO NOT! let your PCs design the ship themselves, rather sort of do the actual designing with the stuff yourself, based on their imput, the parts the perqure etc, this alloows you SOME control :)

Aaron B'Aviv
13 February 2002, 11:54 AM
Just adding to what Brian said...

It's not that they can't design the fighter. They can design it, sure, but the GM MUST be the one who creates the stats based on the design. I have a lot of experience with this. If gamers create the stats as well as the design, very quickly you'll have invincible ships and the effect snowballs.

i.e. The players decide they want megaproton blasters on their fighter. You the GM decide that the megaproton blasters do 5d10 damage and won't fire one in every 10 times, or whatever. Then maybe you decide that megaproton blasters use so much power that when the players are using them, they can't go faster than attack speed.

or something along those lines. you can let them design the ship, but then decide what their ship design means as far as stats. that way you have ultimate oversight over balancing the ship, but players still feel like they're in control.

QWERTY
18 February 2002, 07:45 AM
i can tell you how bad it can get. I just bought the star ships of the galaxy booklet (its floppy) a while back so i decided to make some ships i also let my brother make one. with in a few gaming sesions 6 ish i think overa year had past and they had finished the design on the ship (my brother made)
well safe to say i regretted it. he'd designed a ship based on the uss defiant out of star trek and give it every thing it had. thats the last time send a vicstar to die in the first combat round (no sheilds it was cloaked)

I think i have found a way of getting it out of the game with out being rash (six or seven death stars should do it)

FallenAngel
18 February 2002, 01:05 PM
lol. duly noted, qwerty.

Aaron B'Aviv
18 February 2002, 06:33 PM
If you want another example, I play in an online rpg called the Galactic Embassy. We had fairly free ship creation rules. You were allowed to submit one ship design every three months. These designs were voted on by the players. Once you had gotten a minimum of ten votes, if you had a plurality the ship was passed and you were allowed to start production.

Through a combination of newly designed technology and poring the books for the most powerful munchkin technololgy available, some players had built for themselves organic ships twice the size of a Super Star Destroyer, with weapons that could destroy an Imperial Star Destroyer in one shot. The ships could also phase out to avoid being hit, among other insanely powerful technologies. We finally had to reset technology back to base Star Wars level before anything got further.

BrianDavion
18 February 2002, 06:48 PM
as an age old battletech I can tell ya right now any design a player comes up will be inevitsably munchy, ESPECIALLY since they seldom look at the bottem line.. if you wanna let players design a ship give em a "it cannot cost more then so much money" line:)

FallenAngel
19 February 2002, 11:58 AM
sounds like a good idea...
my idea was that they're basically a deep-cover op for the NR, they have to finance the fighters through funds they... 'allocate'... thats gonna take alotta cheese, but it will also keep the ships within reason.... I hope 8o

QWERTY
20 February 2002, 03:29 AM
My group are deep cover but what happens when they hit an enmey convoy of ships carrying 300 hyperdrives (radomly rolled) when acting as pirates. and then procide to sell them to the huts for 4500 credits eack (their noble officce is brick hard at diplomacy). they bought a small base beefed it up then became the scurge of Naboo shipping lanes

Donovan Morningfire
20 February 2002, 04:59 AM
This is sorta system specific (d20) but in Gamer 9, which should hit retail shelves in a couple weeks, there's an article called "On the Wings of Rogues" which talks about running a starfighter campaign. Some good suggestions on how each character class can fit into such a group, as well as optional rules for squadron Reputation and how it affects the type and quality of the PC's ships, as well as bits on random determination of their base and quality of said base. With a few mods, it could be adapted for d6 use as well.