PDA

View Full Version : Best Era To Play In

Matt Richard
14 February 2002, 06:17 PM
What is the best era to play in. Answer the poll and explain why here.:D

In my opinion, it would have to be the Rebellion time era, because you cant beat a classic.:D :D :D

OK, I hit the add a poll button, and it didnt work. Sooooo, your options are:
1.) The Pre-Old Republic Era
2.) The Old Republic/Rise of the Empire Era
3.) The Rebellion Era
4.) The New Republic Era
5.) The New Jedi Order Era
6.) The post-New Jedi Order Era
7.) The Infinities Era

BrianDavion
14 February 2002, 08:12 PM
rebellion or rise of the empire era...

why? because they are fun to play in, and well documented, and have no vong (the NJO period has little appeal with the Vong in it:)

Grimace
14 February 2002, 09:19 PM
Moving to RPG Discussion

Fab
15 February 2002, 03:29 AM
Originally posted by BrianDavion
rebellion or rise of the empire era...

why? because they are fun to play in, and well documented, and have no vong (the NJO period has little appeal with the Vong in it:)

I would say the Old Republic (before Rise of Empire) for the opposite of Brian's reason: because it's not so well documented. An innovative GM can create his own world without fear of worrying about what happens in the cannon (future). And of course, no Vong either, and no Empire to boot!

QWERTY
15 February 2002, 04:05 AM
The NJOdefinatly, 3 or 4 of my pcs are starwars fans and an era with less infomation is perfect

reliant
15 February 2002, 04:14 AM
I'd say rebellion because you don't have to spend as much time aclimating the players to the universe, just to your game.

Master_thorin
15 February 2002, 05:04 AM
I play NJO with infinities if the line goes that way you always have to have the capability for the PCs to play outside the storyline of books and movies.:D

Lord Diggori
15 February 2002, 05:15 AM
I prefer Pre-Episode I Republic cause I like the freedom. Nothing but virgin territory. :D

BrianDavion
15 February 2002, 11:35 AM
sounds like an even split between people who like new totatly undocumented territory and people who like a fleshed out world...

seriously though I think rebellion suites my needs. since it allows me to centre on a small area without having to worry too much about politics.. I mean I know whats going to happen in politics for the next 25 years or so:)

Jaster
15 February 2002, 12:25 PM
The Rebellion is the best era because of the Empire, an omnipresent evil that isn't invincible, unlike the Vong seem to be. Plus, it takes less time to get new players used to the era because its' the best known.

Deck
15 February 2002, 12:51 PM
Well, I think that this decision depends on what type of game you prefer and what the gamemaster is like. I mean, if you like campaigns on "well-known" terrain, and want to have background knowledge about you era, I would recommend the Rebellion and New Republic Eras. There are lots of good novels in these eras which give quite some good stuff for adventures. Most of the WEG adventures also take place in the Rebellion Era, and come with great material for gaming.

On the other hand, if you prefer moving on unknown territories and love the mystery, I would choose an era for which there does not already exist a large variety of "fixed" information. Of course the Galaxy is huge, and you could just send the characters to the Unknown Regions during the time of the Rebellion, but I think that a gamemaster could develop great campaigns when there's more "freedom". Rise of the Empire and later New Republic Eras could be popular then.

Okay, enough philosophying for now. ;) My favourite is Rebellion Era, of course. :)

Moose
15 February 2002, 12:55 PM
I am going to have to go with the Rebellion era. Everythig is laid out for you and the Empire is a terrific villan.

Matt Richard
15 February 2002, 02:53 PM
In an earlier thread, the question was proposed: Do you want an Episode VII? Well, I think if you like laid out foundations, but dont like the way the New Republic and New Jedi Order eras went out, then you should consider infinities.

I honestly dont want an Episode VII, VIII or IX because I think that should be left to the Roleplaying game (making your own universe); I think D6 did the best job of getting that accross (it could have been D20, only the NJO wasnt around during D6). I really believe that (Im sure Ill go into a three page debate with this statement like I did with the Non-Force Sensitive thread) that the original SWRPG was meant to be an infinities game: what happened BEYOND Star Wars. ANyone else feel that way?

Gulmyros
15 February 2002, 03:01 PM
I honestly dont want an Episode VII, VIII or IX because I think that should be left to the Roleplaying game (making your own universe)Well I, for one, will never tell Lucas not to make a movie so that I can preserve my RPG campaign setting. :)

Seriously, if you want to play PAST the movies in the timeline, you could just as easily set a game PAST whatever happens in episode IX. And you know that authors won't stop cranking out books to read, either.

Pretty soon we'll start having books about Luke's grandchildren...

Reverend Strone
15 February 2002, 03:07 PM
"Go the Rebellion Era!"

Or atleast, very close to it (a decade or so before works well too in my mind) for the simple reason of the Empire. For me, games set against the backdrop of this oppressive regime just seem to have an edge.

It's also an Era that my Players are familiar and comfortable with to the point at which anyone who lived in the time would be. There's still plenty of details and unknowns to give me as a GM plenty of scope for my own creativity, but the Players can feel they're as intimate with their world as their characters would be, and aren't intimidated by tons of new material they have to swat up on just to find their feet.

There's also the very important point that none of my Players have any great fondness fo Ep 1 or interest in the NJO books, so really, going with the classic makes for more enjoyable gameplay for them.

I'm more of a blasters kind-a-guy too, never really warmed to the idea of all these Jedi running around. If you have too many wildly potent force-using heroes and NPCs you end up having to keep coming up with similarly powerful dark force-users to challenge them (okay, an over simplification, but true to a degree) and i think that stretches the believability of the setting.

Matt Richard
15 February 2002, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by Gulmyros
Pretty soon we'll start having books about Luke's grandchildren...

Cant hardly wait, I mean honestly, there is a such thing as too much of a good thing. For instance, seing a lot of Jar Jar was too much of a good thing.

The first hint that SW was getting to be too much of a good thing was when they killed Chewie:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Really, there needs to be a time when the authors and George say: STOP, the rest is up to the people's imagination.

Sabre
15 February 2002, 03:20 PM
I think I like the Rebellion era best, too. If you want uncharted territory, there's wildspace. In the Empire there's a villain that can be both related to and yet despised. The mechanics of war are the same on both sides, even if technology favors the Empire. The only superweapons in play are the size of small moons and are only capable of destroying planets, not entire solar systems. The Jedi are scattered, hunted, and at the low point of their power, and you can legitimately make it difficult for your Force using players to have slow progress, and difficulty finding a teacher. The rebellion era is also what we see in the first movies, of which we can see all three. So everyone has (or easily can) get an idea of what life is like in the galaxy by watching these movies. The Empire as an enemy responds to more than just brute force. They can be bargained with, infiltrated and spied on, conned, bribed, and this opens up the type of characters that will be effective and interesting to play. The icons of the Empire are memmorable. Star Destroyers. Stormtroopers. TIE fighters. The universe in this era is complete and detailed, but there remains room for your own additions.

BrianDavion
15 February 2002, 03:21 PM
I dunno, killing chewie was proably a good thing in my book, how many books have really managed him right? not very many thats for sure.

I hate to say this but if a main char hadda be killed off... Chewie was proably the best choice

Talonne Hauk
15 February 2002, 10:41 PM
My current campaign is set 5 years previous to A New Hope, pretty much giving my crew a clear idea of what's going on and also giving us the freedom of not stepping on any movie plotlines. (That we know of.) A few of my players wanted to play in the era of the current movies, but it would have been too hard for me as a GM because there's not enough source material. Besides, all they really wanted was to start off as Jedi right away. Now that they've progressed far enough to multiclass, I don't hear any complainin'. Although I picked up the NJO sourcebook today, so I think they'll slip into the future at some point. (Nefarious chuckling) ;)

Dan Stack
16 February 2002, 04:23 AM
As others have mentioned, best is dependent on the type of game you want...

Tales of the Jedi seems like a good choice for that Dungeons and Dragons style game. I'm not certain why mind you, it could just be the "look" of everything.

The prequel trilogy, to me at least, seems well-suited if you are trying to get that old-style space opera feel, like the Lensman series. Just swap the Jedi and the Galactic Patrol. Or you could tone down the optimism a few levels and focus on the decay of the Republic. A few centuries earlier and the optimism seems more wll-founded.

The classic trilogy works the best for me - a pure source of evil, limited resources for characters (unless they are Imperials). It also gives a gamemaster the easiest time justifying why these characters all hang out with each other. This allows a wide variety of campaigns - save the galaxy, smuggle goods, etc.

The New Republic era does open up a lot of options. For a politically-minded group of characters, you could have the group running one of the many splinter goverments that would be around in this period, much like the old D&D Companion Set rules. There's also the menace of the Empire still around, though I would focus on a shard or warlord threatening a single region as opposed to the common "Imperial superweapon or tactic threatens to destroy the Republic" - it can get overdone very quickly. It is also an excellent era for the con-man or smuggler, with many goverments ruling the galaxy.

Personally I don't know a heck of a lot about the New Jedi Order, having only read some of the books so I'll abstain from commenting on that.

heivilinj
21 February 2002, 09:54 AM
We set our campaign in the Old Republic/Tales of the Jedi period for a few reasons.

First there are plenty of Jedi and I was curious how force powers would compare to magic in the d20 system.

Second there are *lots* of Sith so you have an abundance of bad guys to face. The Great Sith War is every bit as epic as the struggle between the Rebellion and the Empire.

It's proving to be a bit of a challenge for supplemental material (ships, equipment, etc) but as long as the players haven't heard of it just use something you know and change the name. And when you really come down to it every thing is basically the same, I mean a blaster takes a power pack and shoots bolts of energy that do damage.

dragonseye
21 February 2002, 03:25 PM
At the least out of the Eras I've played in, I personally prefer the Rebellion through New Republic time periods the most followed closely by the Ep 1 time period. For me, these time periods seem much more versatile- you can play any type of character without GM being stuck in the rutt that the NJO time period presents (to me, there's really not much that you can do other than the Vong and their stoogies. Of course my opinion on that is probably a bit bias since I have not found the NJO books at all interesting)

Tramp
27 February 2002, 08:56 AM
Personally, I prefer the late New Republic into the NJO era. I haven't had the opportunity to play TOTJ era yet as my character isn't set up for it, though that era would be a close second. Personally, I love the Vong, or should I say love to hate. They're one of the nastiest villains imaginable and give Jedi a real run for the money. The fact that they seem invincible, even though they're not, adds even more to their appeal. I also love Jedi. They're my favorate to play and read about. I've read just about every SW book out there so I know quite alot about the SW universe.

BillyBeanbag
27 February 2002, 12:08 PM
I think I prefer the 2nd choice. In the campaign I just started, The heroes are jedi, (for now) and there's a wide range of adventure paths I can choose from, plus as the hoopla begins to build towards the next movie, I can weave it into my plots...

Tony J Case, Super Genius
2 March 2002, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by Matt Richard
What is the best era to play in. Answer the poll and explain why here.

Its all about the E1 era, baby. Its fresh new and exciting. It hasnt been done to death a thousand times like the Rebeliion era (at least for my group - it's tough to come up with new angles after 10 years of playing).

And - it's way cool to have the Sword of Doom hanging over my players head. I just cant wait to bust out with Vader and his hit squad on my Padawans when the Purges roll around. They'll have to be DAMN clever to survive.

Now THAT is some quality fun. . . .

madpoet
3 March 2002, 09:21 AM
I've gotta go with the NJO era.

You really get the best of everything. Jedi are on the rise again, you can discover lost secrets of the Jedi, and you just can't beat the Yuuzhan Vong as an unpredictable enemy.

I've been a Star Wars fan since 1977 and I love the direction that the new books have taken. Being able to run a game in this new and exciting era has really challenged my players to push themselves beyond what they know from the movies.

Dark Knight
16 March 2002, 12:18 AM
Myself personally i"ll take any era i can actually play in with a group (that's a rant for another time). Myself personally i like NJO simply for the fact that you have established carachters to play with and you dont have to worry about messing up movie continuity in any way at all. It's freedom plus establishment at the same time.

Jastor
16 March 2002, 04:31 AM
1,3 and 4 :)

Uncle Fuzz
17 March 2002, 12:08 PM
Personally, I like the New Republic era, there are so many unwritten battles for so many sectors, that the possibilities are endless.