PDA

View Full Version : Comments on Masquerade (SWRPGNetwork)

TC-3
15 February 2002, 03:31 PM
This thread is for comments on the entry entitled "<a href="http://www.swrpgnetwork.com/entry.php?s=&id=1378" target="_blank" title="This link will open in a new window.">Masquerade</a>" located on SWRPGNetwork. Please post your comment on this entry below using the "Post Thread" button; you may also post a comment via a link from the entry itself.

BrianDavion
15 February 2002, 03:31 PM
Luke Skywalker was aware of this power before the Fallanassi.

in the Crystal star he used the force to disguise himself. (so I gather it was this power in use)
one intresting thing is it seemed he could "turn it off" for particular individuals.

just thought I'd make the imput

Peeper
15 February 2002, 03:40 PM
This effect of disguising yourself can be accomplished by the Illusion skill in DSSB. I fail to see why a new skill is necessary. Perhaps the creator could enlighten me?

Moridin
16 February 2002, 09:01 AM
I simply felt that the Illusion skill was too costly and too imperfect to mimic what was seen in the books. Plus, I wanted to make it more accessible to lower-level Jedi, as it seems to be a relatively simple thing. It's an application of the Illusion skill, of course, but the VP cost is fixed and there are no penalties for range. It's just a simple application of a complex skill; of course, you can choose to ignore it, but I wanted to have this option out there for those who agreed with me.

Peeper
16 February 2002, 11:14 PM
Using the Illusion skill as a disguise would be of the shortest range - 10m or less - and thus cost only 3 VP per minute. While your skill increases the save DCs by 5, it also increases the VP cost. Thus, Illusion is infact less costly than Masquerade.

As for Illusion being too imperfect, well that's quite open to interpretation. I have not read any books where a Force-user disguises themself with an illusion, but I have read through the free WotC adventure, The Crypt of Saalo Morn. Throughout the adventure, the dark side spirit of Morn uses the Illusion skill to trick the heroes, and the descriptions of what illusions he creates seem pretty detailed to me.

Finally, your issue of greater accessability for low-level Jedi. How is it more accessable? I'm assuming that, like Illusion, Masquerade requires the Alter feat to use, so it's accessability to Jedi is the same as Illusion.'

Not to say you are wrong in any way for creating this skill, but I am a fan of the KISS principle and wanted to have a constructive discussion.

Unregistered
19 February 2002, 02:44 PM
You mentioned that Luke discovered this after his encounter with the Fallanassi. But I thought he used this in the Crystal Star and showed this to Akanah Norand Pell, which happened before Luke met the Fallanassi on J't'pan or wherever that planet was in the Koornacht Cluster.

QuiGonJon
22 February 2002, 09:00 AM
Why the +5 on will saving throw?

I don't have the Dark Side Book in front of me, but I'm pretty sure you don't get an imediate saving throw against an illusion unless something happens during the conversation to make the target suspect it's an illusion. I dunno, a +5 seems kind of high.