PDA

View Full Version : Language Suggestions

GreaseWookiee
17 February 2002, 06:12 AM
May I ask for suggestions on which languages to take? My character is a merchant/smuggler who travels around quite often. I already got Bocce, which my GM said was the de facto trading language. I'm looking for other languages that could help me with buying/selling goods as well as for the technical stuff like Engineering and Starship Design (I loaned a small space transport from the Hutts and regularly tinker with it). Suggestions, anyone?

---------------
GreaseWookiee

Dragon Fox 3
17 February 2002, 06:37 AM
Hey, I'd suggest taking Jawa Trade Language for talking to the pesky little guys. Maybe learning Binary (understand only) and Read/Write Binary will come in handy for learning what droids mean when they "Beep, chirp and whirrl". Depending on the era the campaign takes place, I would suggest staying away from langauges not yet learned by the galaxy at whole, i.e. Ewokese (ewok language). I'm sure there are others, just can't think of any that would be all imporant outside of speaking Basic.

Hope this helps. B)

blitzkreig
17 February 2002, 06:59 AM
Hrm...a good language to take would most likely be Huttese (you borrowed from them, you may as well know what the translator doesn't want to tell you), but i wouldn't let on that you know how to speak it. for the technical aspect, i am inclined to agree with dragon fox 3 about binary, if for sheer roleplaying humor (imagine arguing with your R2...), and the jawa trade language. if your character travels around as much as you say, you might want to find out what is the next most conversed language and learn that as well

Strikerkc
17 February 2002, 08:32 AM
i definitly agree with learning huttese if you are doing business with them (the barowed ship), and depending on how many more languages you can speak (aka: you intelegince mod) i would go with the Jawa, then maby Twe'lik (the guys with the head tails) cause they do a lot of trading and stuff like that with hutts. so the fact that you do buisness with hutts probably ups your chance of running into a few of these rather distastfull twe'liks. other than that i would go with binary, cause whats the use of having a droid along when ya can't understand him when he's trying to tell you theres a squad of imps around the next corner?

the only other good languages to know as a ceretain class that i can think of is to know somthing like Rodian or Transdoshian (:raised:sp?) when your a bounty hunter and so forth

loudanddeep
17 February 2002, 11:10 AM
This brings up a really good question;

Is there a really good language list anywhere?

dp

Strikerkc
17 February 2002, 04:20 PM
Is there a really good language list anywhere?

what do you mean as by language list? do you mean just a list of every language in the star wars univers? If so theres no way to make a list.

but if you mean a list of languages that every good jedi, scoundral, soldier, or etc should know? then it is sorta just gona be common sence and on the individual circumstances............:(

Reverend Strone
17 February 2002, 05:46 PM
While we're on this topic, and someone raised the subject of Bocce earlier on, what exactly is Bocce?

Apart from Owen's reference in SW AHN to Threepio, I haven't heard or read anything else about it. Is there an official line on the language, or perhaps in the absence of that, an accepted EU consensus on what Bocce is and who speaks it?

My apologies to GreaseWookie if this hijacks the post, but I kind of figured it was directly related and didn't warrant a new thread. Perhaps some explanation on this topic from the more well-versed SW linguists might benefit us both. What's the scoop folks?

Fab
18 February 2002, 03:22 AM
According to Ben Burtt in his "Galactic Phrase Book and Survival Guide", Bocce is the "intersystem trade jargon developed by the Baobab merchants." It was created like Esperanto or Interlingua are today, in their case specifically to serve as a common tongue among the many specied that made up their pilots and crews. It's basically spoken by spacers.

Reverend Strone
18 February 2002, 12:07 PM
Much appreciated Fab!

FallenAngel
18 February 2002, 01:09 PM
im not sure, but i think tehre MAY be a list of example languages in the core rulebook. Two other languages might be useful... ryl or shriwook. Gotta know what those majordomos are telling you, and its always useful to be able to comprehend the curses wookies yell as they rip your arms off.

dragonseye
18 February 2002, 02:22 PM
I would also suggest Squibbian since according to the Alien Encounters book, they are for one, considered salvagers and traders. It's also not a bad idea to have this language just to have an unusual one. (Who knows, you just may come across a Squib during your game.)

Also, I would suggest haveing a language that another player character has (especially if that's the PC's native tongue.) For example, if a fellow player is a Quaren, I would suggest taking that language so that the two of you can discuss things between each other, and most likely not have other's understand you. This is deffinitely needed if one of your fellow PC's cannot truly speak basic as in the case of Wookies.

GreaseWookiee
22 February 2002, 07:56 AM
Thanks everyone for the suggestions! Now my problem is deciding which ones to get. Anyway, much appreciated everyone and may the Force be with you!