PDA

View Full Version : Rank Query

FallenAngel
17 February 2002, 08:53 PM
In the New Republic Starfleet, Fighter portion, which rank is directly below commander? My GM and i are in disagreement... one of us thinks Lt. Commander, the other Captain. If you could provide me with a reference to some hard material(to show my GM), i would be obliged.

Corsair
17 February 2002, 09:31 PM
Seeing as the New Republic Ranking System basically followed that of the Rebel Alliance, this link will tell you all you need to know really.

Rebel Alliance Insignia (http://www.theforce.net/swtc/domino.html#solution)

You will find that the order of ranks for the three you mentioned goes:

Lt. Commander .. then Commander .. then Captain (so Captain has the highest rank).

Wade Trenor
17 February 2002, 10:20 PM
That's pretty cool. Why haven't you showed it to me before? :raised:

QWERTY
18 February 2002, 07:33 AM
Thanks corsair i have been looking for something like that for ages

FallenAngel
18 February 2002, 07:47 AM
thank you, but that raises yet another query...
in the rogue squadron series, why does Commander Antilles outrank Captain Celchu, and later Captain Horn?
And would therefore Han outrank Luke at Hoth? (Commander Skywalker/Captain Solo)

QWERTY
18 February 2002, 08:03 AM
i think the reason Celchu out ranks horn is because he has been a cpt long + wedge says so. what wedge says goes in rouge squadron

Corsair
18 February 2002, 02:55 PM
To explain the whole Wedge, Tycho and Corran thing:

When it comes to squadrons, such as Rogue Squadron, the person in charge of Rogue Squadron has command over all in his squadron, regardless of the rank of the people in his squadron.

Tycho, though captain, was only re-instated to Rogue Squadron by Wedge because Tycho at the time was being held in prison because he was under suspicion. Wedge but his life on the line for him to get him flying again. Tycho is a captain because he has been in service longer than Wedge (he was the guy in the A-Wing who led the guys away from Lando and Wedge while they were flying in the asteroid).

Corran Horn came over from CorSec. He did not start off as a captain in rogue squadron, he had to earn that rank. But even when he did get it, he was still under the command of wedge when it came to rogue squadron.

Wedge's actual rank would've been something like Commodore or something ... but he passed over many promotionsl in order to stay as Commander of the squadron.

BrianDavion
18 February 2002, 06:41 PM
as much as I resspect Crutis Saxton and the Material on his website he is WRONG WRONG WRONG. on the subject of ranks...

fact of the matter is that the rank system seen in the X-wing flight simulator computer game has become the OFFICAL ranking system of the new republic star fighter corps. as EVIDANCED in the rogue squadron book series.

Saxton has made a COMMON mistake with people dealing with star wars (especially the ranking system) and that is taking a cultural centric view point with regard to the whole orginization.

fact is we have no reason to assume that commander is lower then captain other then the fact that in some navys of the world commander is lower then captain...

the OFFICAL new republic star fighter corps ranking scheme is as follows

Flight Cadet. Flight Officer, Lt. Captain, Commander, General

Corsair
18 February 2002, 08:41 PM
Well .. since you mentioned the X-Wing games .. if you scrolled down a bit on Saxton's page .. you will find that he gives the ranking system used in X-Wing Alliance as well.

This ranking system is:

Recruit
Flight Cadet
Flight Officer
Lieutenant JG
Lieutenant
Captain
Lt Commander
Commander
General

As he stated on his page, it shows inconsistencies etc.

Trying reading something fully before criticising Brian.

Rogue Janson
19 February 2002, 10:58 AM
Personally I like the ranking system from rogue squadron. Not so much for its consistency but for the fact you can get up to Supreme Allied Commander just by flying starfighters.

Dark Lord Drax
24 February 2002, 07:17 PM
Well Fallen Angel, I've looked over the ranks according to the link in a previous reply. These ranks seem to fit with mine, as well as Tony's, and even some of the ranks from the first Rouge Squadron game (N64).
So, you are still a Lt. Commander

(No, you still don't get a raise.)

Ash DuQuennes
14 March 2002, 08:04 PM
Well, here's the question you must ask: do you use the rank system in the published RPG Rules, or use extrapolated data from a second source (and I do respect the hard work Curtis Saxton has done, I really do; no one here should perceive this as a slam against him, his work, or his excellent website).

Page 98 of the Rebel Alliance Sourcebook list the ranks, and I'll post them here in ascending order:

Lieutenant
Captain
Major
Commander
Colonel
General

It shows blue "pips" for Navy and black for Army. I strongly suspect that the black "pips" are actually supposed to be red.

Of course, we're all free to either use or ignore any rules we want in our respective games; for continuity, and ease of communication, I think it behooves us to at least be familiar with the standard rules, and state when we are using variants/homebrews.

Just FYI: I've always used American military ranks in my SW games; Navy ranks for Alliance/NR Fleet, Army ranks for A/NR Ground Forces, and Marine for A/NR Fleet Troop Command (an admittedly made-up "branch" used specifically in my SW Universe). Starfighters and pilots can be assigned to any of these commands, but there is little tendency to change branches.

It's not unheard of, just unusual, because of the unique missions specific to each branch, and the training pilots in those branches undergo to be proficient in those branch-specific missions. There is, of course, cross-branch training. When there is time, and if a pilot qualifies.

bagman19
14 March 2002, 10:17 PM
Just happen to have SW Gamer #9 handy, and in their Starfighter Sqadron segment, they have a chart that shows that the ranks, based on Reputation score, are as follows:
Commander (16+)
Captain (11-15)
Lieutenant (6-10)
Flight Officer (1-5)

The plot thickens!

QWERTY
15 March 2002, 06:24 AM
that could help solve the rank argument in the party at the moment

thank you
bagman19

Kayle Skolaris
15 March 2002, 07:29 AM
WEG ignored the possibility that Starfighter Command and Naval Command are two different things.

Ash DuQuennes
15 March 2002, 08:22 AM
Or they didn't consider things like "Branch Insignia." Like the U.S. Army has Armor, Infantry, Artillery, etc., all with a unique insignia besides their insignia of rank. Infantry has crossed rifles, Armor has a tank superimposed over two crossed sabers (denoting Armor's history in Cavalry), and so forth.

Fleet Command and Starfighter Command could be "branches" of the same military organization, (like Armor and Infantry are separate, but complimentary branches of the Army).

Alternatively, they could be separate branches of service, like Navy and Air Force are separate branches of a nation's armed forces. I favor this interpretation more, myself.

Aaron B'Aviv
15 March 2002, 11:33 AM
Personally, I think Saxton has something with what he says. Of course, his ranks are based on the RAF... Stackpole uses ranks based on USAF.

That explains the controversy. in RAF it goes Flight Officer, Lieutenant, Squadron Leader, Wing Commander, Group Captain, etc... or something close to that. In USAF it's Flight Officer, Lieutenant, Captain, Major, , Lieutenant Colonel, Colonel, General.

In Star Wars, depending on what author it is you'll see conflicting rank progressions. I think the best solution is to say that the New Republic reformulated its rank system at some point in its history, and so you can use whichever you prefer and say that in your continuity, the changeover had/hadn't occurred yet resulting in the ranks you chose.

Kayle Skolaris
15 March 2002, 12:03 PM
It's little annoying details like this that are the biggest reason I run my campaigns predominantly in my own homebrew star nation with its own homebrew ranking system. Everything's nice and neat and completely up to ME!

Lokar
16 March 2002, 11:02 AM
Personally I like Saxon'x blending of the real world and ranks from Star Wars. Personally, I use RAF for the Empire and USAF for the Rebs/NR. Not sure how really developed the branches are for Navies in Star Wars, I know they have a gunnery and a ops and a tech branch but not much asde from that.

Jedi Master Antilles
16 March 2002, 12:59 PM
Quote:
thank you, but that raises yet another query...
in the rogue squadron series, why does Commander Antilles outrank Captain Celchu, and later Captain Horn?
And would therefore Han outrank Luke at Hoth? (Commander Skywalker/Captain Solo)

actually no han didnt outrank luke at hoth,han was addresed as captain because he was captain of his own ship,where as i think luke was in the rebellion and han was only a part timer..or sumthin .now once han became general solo,then he out ranked commander skywalker.