PDA

View Full Version : How long do you go?????

Kobayashi_Maru
18 February 2002, 07:09 PM
How long does your game in game time run???
Day, week, month?????
Whats the longest it has gone?

I mean in game as in your character starts on date 01/01/01 and the game session ends in game as of 02/25/01.

If you go for weeks than those abilities that you can only use once per game session do you change or leave alone? I was thinking of once per day or week if going that long!!
What does everyone else think???????????????

Sorry if this is a bit confusing.:rolleyes:

Corsair
18 February 2002, 08:49 PM
Well, I can answer that.

Game time wise, our games have ranged from one day to 3 weeks. However, with those abilities that you can only use once .. we make it per day (game time). It makes more sense to make it per game time day.

Reverend Strone
18 February 2002, 11:38 PM
With respect to Corsair's answer, Ditto from the Kiwi.

Ghost In The Holocron
19 February 2002, 06:44 AM
The games I've been running (just started with my campaign) have been covering periods of about 2-3 weeks per game session. Much of that is downtime though -- when the heroes travel here and there, do some research, repair the ship, cruise the underground for information, etc.

While it hasn't been an issue yet I've always thought "resetting" things like the scoundrel's "better lucky than good" might be a good idea whenever considerable downtime happens -- just not when the action is flowing fast from one scenario to another.

Sherman Shipyards
19 February 2002, 09:27 AM
one to three days with a week once in a while.

Sherman

QWERTY
19 February 2002, 09:53 AM
This depends sometimes it could be 4 hrs (actual time) like my residant evil campaighn. but because they are a miltary unit they do spend shed loads of time traveling and/or have spare time inbetween missons so up to 3 months in a session at the most)

i do it by the day in game time cause on the shorter missions if i was to do it by session 2 of my pcs would go through the window in hardness cause of Heroic surge

dragonseye
19 February 2002, 07:02 PM
It usually depends on how long a the time period lapses in game during one game session. We've gone everywhere from a couple of hours to several weeks. (I believe we've even had one that lasted about six months.) The reason for the flucuation for us is that our characters run a business while also doing errands/ missions for the New Republic, so hence there's a lot of travel time during the game. On average, about two to three days (or if travel is involved, then two to three weeks) usually pass over an adventure.

Gulmyros
19 February 2002, 11:07 PM
I've always used the 'once per game session' powers 'once per game session' and not had any problems.

Since my sessions are planned to take the characters through a few minor encounters, a few medium encounters and one major one (tho not in that order), the actual in-game time is mostly irrelevant. At least to us.

But I do know people who use them once per day, and that works for them. Just make sure that whatever you do is consistent, and write it down in a house rule somewhere so you're always fair to both the PCs and the NPCs.

(btw, my PCs HATE it when the NPC scoundrel botches a roll, then they cheer, then I pull out the NPC's 'better lucky than good' and reroll....)

Wade Trenor
20 February 2002, 02:35 AM
Just wondering, what 'powers' are 'once per game session'?

The only one I could see was Heroic Surge, which is once per day. Are they all Force Feats, or Force skills?

QWERTY
20 February 2002, 03:19 AM
i know better lucky than good is a one session only abilty

Kobayashi_Maru
20 February 2002, 03:19 PM
Actually I had thought of this when looking at the NJOSB. There is a Jedi PrC that has Trust in the Force and it is only 'once per game session' but better lucky than good is also another.

We've had games last months but not very often.
There was two games where like 3 years passed, something like 1.5 each. That never happens though.

Gulmyros
20 February 2002, 09:12 PM
Usually these things are class features.

Scoundrel - Better lucky than good.
Crimelord - Resource access.
Emperor's Hand - Resource access.
Imp. Inquisitor - Resource access (sensing a pattern yet?)
Sith Lord - Resource access :)

In addition, the Officer PrC in the core book has Resource Access, tho I don't think the "once per game session" is printed there. And while the Noble's "call in a favor" feature isn't a once per session thing, I find that creative players don't have to call in more than one favor per sitting. It's possible, and I'd probably allow it, but they'd have to be in REAL deep to have to pull that many strings at a time. :D

DirkGreystoke
22 February 2002, 09:46 PM
How long does your game in game time run??? Day, week, month?????
Whats the longest it has gone?

A lot of time can pass inbetween adventures, but the longest adventrue we ever had in game terms, encompassed a few weeks. It was the end of the campaign....a major battle. Took two days to play, and a lot of that had to do with the complexness of Star Warriors.

scourgicus
23 February 2002, 06:32 AM
Our average session last around 30 days (including travel time) with up to a year in between. In the future adventures will last maybe 20 days with a week or two between. We're speeding things up as we get to SOTP/VOTF.

The once a game bit hasn't been a problem, but I'd say use it once per gaming session. Otherwise leads to godmoding.

Darth Bile
23 February 2002, 10:15 AM
well, our games go for a few months time, and most of it is up time, sometimes down time, but we generally skip over that, that's the training time for the most part, and we used to play like 24/7 for 4 weeks straight once, at 12 hours a pop. and it goes for years in game time, as for once a day powers, we generally do it every 24 game time hours like it should be, not in real life hours.

Jan Tolbara
23 February 2002, 11:51 AM
Typically, the game sessions I run last anywhere from a few hours to a few days. I try to arrange for downtime to be between sessions, but that doesn't always happen (especially when hyperspace travel takes place). Of course, a lot of this also depends on how long the actual session is along with how much is actually accomplished.

Regarding the "once per session" powers and abilities, once per game day makes sense to me.