PDA

View Full Version : Comments on Blaster Shotgun (Submissions)

Lord Diggori
19 February 2002, 02:47 AM
Just wondering how you figured on the damage for the d20 version? Why not go 3d10/3d8/3d6 or 3d8/3d6/3d4?

So it fires to a max three range increments?

TC-3
19 February 2002, 02:47 AM
This thread is for comments on the entry entitled "<a href="http://submissions.swrpgnetwork.com/entry.php?s=&id=1377" target="_blank" title="This link will open in a new window.">Blaster Shotgun</a>" located on Submissions. Please post your comment on this entry below using the "Post Thread" button; you may also post a comment via a link from the entry itself.

Joe Jack
21 February 2002, 01:55 PM
This is just the blaster I have been looking for. I saved one of my friends characters in our campagin with it already. Thanks for the awsome gun!

Jodo-Cast
9 June 2002, 08:31 PM
this is a sweet weapon that has helped me in many close quarter situations where I am out numbered.

farr0095
10 May 2003, 05:37 AM
I'm gonna side with the main man, Lord Diggori.
I'd recommend the following changes to D6:

Ammo: 1 (per blaster pack) That makes it comply with the capsule
Range: 0-5/10/15/20
Damage: 6D/5D/4D/3D I realize that makes it "more powerful" than the d20 damage, but I think it works out okay due to other game mechanics.
Special: Requires a free action to pump the weapon and replace the spent blaster pack with a fresh one.

I'd recommend the following changes to d20:

Ammo: 1 (per blaster pack) That makes it comply with the capsule
Range Increment: 5
Critical: 18-20 Iif you hit, and you hit close, you're likely going to kill, just like a "real" combat shotgun.
Damage: 3d10/3d8/3d6/3d4
Special: Each range increment decreases damage by one level. Max of 4 range increments, instead of the usual ten. Requires a free action to pump the weapon and replace the spent blaster pack with a fresh one.

Tossk
10 May 2003, 08:16 AM
Why a free action, and notr move-equivalent action?

farr0095
10 May 2003, 12:30 PM
I say a free action because pumping a shotgun - unless you're completely unfamiliar with a shotgun, and I think that's covered by not having the WGP for it - is incredibly simple and happens without thinking about it.

You might also think about the ability to load more than two blaster packs at a time, if each shot wipes out the blaster pack. Maybe five or six blaster packs, but restrict the rate of fire to 1/round or 2/round?

Tossk
10 May 2003, 12:41 PM
I'm talking about loading the power pack and pumping it. a revolving magazine would help fix this problem.

farr0095
10 May 2003, 03:16 PM
I was under the impression that at least two can be loaded at once. So, one is "in the chamber" and the other is "in the magazine". Hence, you shoot once, drain Power Pack A, pump to put Power Pack B in the chamber. Sure, if you want to load more power packs, that's at least a move, but... yeah, I'd say make that a full-round action. Helps to limit the gun a bit more. Also makes for a better argument to allow for 5 power packs "in the magazine" and 1 "in the chamber". So you could get up to 6 shots before having to take a full round action to reload.

DJRWolf
28 May 2003, 12:51 AM
2nd Edition comes with a shotgun type blaster. The "Deck Clearing Blaster". If you are within 5m and it is pointed at you, you can't dodge and it is almost impossible to miss with it (providing the target is within 45 degrees of the front of the barrel).

Tossk
28 May 2003, 03:00 AM
DJRWolf, What are you talking about? A similar weapon?:?

DJRWolf
28 May 2003, 01:16 PM
Here it is, just as I found it:

DL-87 Deck Clearing Blaster

Model: BlasTech Firespray DL-87
Type: Wide field blaster
Skill: Blaster: deck clearer
Ammo: 10
Cost: 100
Availability: 2, X
Fire Rate: 1/2
Range: 1/5/10 meters
Damage: 5D
Game Notes:
This blaster is designed to hit as many targets as possible. Everyone within a 45 degree arc of the firer's front is hit with a successful use. Character's within fire meters of the blast cannot attempt to Dodge; characters six to ten meters away may attempt to Dodge, though all such attempts are at a -1D penalty.

Deck Clearing Blasters remain in regular use among raiders: pirates often kill their way to a ship's controls, and privateers must often meet lethal resistance with stronger weapons than stunners. Every blaster model in existence has found its way to the hands of raiders at some point. A few blasters are unique to boarders. Like the deck-sweeper stun weapon, the DL-87 was rejected by the Imperial Navy for its slow rate of fire and limited ammunition capacity.

The type says shotgun to me, if you think I wrong, please do say so. I'm just putting my 2 in.

Tossk
28 May 2003, 05:41 PM
Did you copy that out of the book? because doing so is very illegal, and we really don't want that.:( WEG still has copyrights on their stats, you know.

Jan Tolbara
28 May 2003, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by Tossk
Did you copy that out of the book? because doing so is very illegal, and we really don't want that.:( WEG still has copyrights on their stats, you know.

Agreed. The DL-87 was originally presented in Pirates & Privateers by WEG. If the original work is to be quoted, it should be cited and/or refer the reader to said work.

However, I noticed that the description as shown above appears exactly like the entry found on this website (http://rivendell.fortunecity.com/dark/791/blasters.htm#ef6). Since I don't have P&P with me, I cannot verify if it was copied from the book or not. I can assure you that the capsule for the d20 conversion of this blaster on my website is not copied.

DJRWolf
29 May 2003, 11:05 AM
I NEVER said I made it. I found it. The first place I saw it was at Commander Skywalker's Star Wars RPG Post (http://rivendell.fortunecity.com/dark/791/index.htm). I've also seen the D20 stats at Star Wars: The Forgotten Tales (http://www.swtft.com/). If it's on those web site's, I don't think it would be copyrighted by WEG becouse they would not be able to display them.

Tossk
29 May 2003, 02:07 PM
Sorry that I came across like that, but I'm kinda paranoid, and there probably some lawyers who can't wait to 'cease and desist' this site. I thought you were referring to a book when you said
2nd Edition comes with a shotgun type blaster. The "Deck Clearing Blaster". keep thsoe citations close though; I like to be safe about this stuff. Sorry for rubbing you the wrong way;)

Jan Tolbara
29 May 2003, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by DJRWolf
I NEVER said I made it. I found it. The first place I saw it was at Commander Skywalker's Star Wars RPG Post (http://rivendell.fortunecity.com/dark/791/index.htm). I've also seen the D20 stats at Star Wars: The Forgotten Tales (http://www.swtft.com/). If it's on those web site's, I don't think it would be copyrighted by WEG becouse they would not be able to display them.

Never said you made it. I wasn't trying to accuse you of anything, DJRWolf. I was just throwing out some facts. Sorry if I came across that way. That was never my intention.

To be perfectly honest, Comm. Skywalker's website is where I first saw the stats for the weapon myself, and I used that entry for the conversion to d20 on SWTFT. My capsule is not copied from the other site or the book. I can't speak for Lucas Meyers (webmaster for Comm. Skywalker's SWRPG Post), though.

On another point, I just noticed that WotC's Arms & Equipment Guide has the BlasTech Firespray DL-87, and its cousin the Merr-Sonn Deck Sweeper, as a stun rifle.

Could somebody do me a favor? If you have Pirates and Privateers, could you check and see how it has the BlasTech DL-87 classified? Is it a blaster rifle, or is it a blaster pistol? Comm. Skywalker's Post has it listed as a blaster pistol. If it's a rifle, I need to make some adjustments on my site.

Mithrandir
30 May 2003, 12:00 AM
On another point, I just noticed that WotC's Arms & Equipment Guide has the BlasTech Firespray DL-87, and its cousin the Merr-Sonn Deck Sweeper, as a stun rifle.

Both are listed as Blaster Rifles (pg16/17 for those that want to look it up). However, the DL87 does both normal damage and can be used to stun. It's pretty crappy though compared to the above suggestions - only does 1d8 damage. Close to nothing compared to heavier rifles.

Jan Tolbara
30 May 2003, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by Mithrandir
Both are listed as Blaster Rifles (pg16/17 for those that want to look it up).

Yeah, I saw that in WotC's A&EG. But, I am interested in seeing if WEG has it set up as either a pistol or a rifle. Thanks, though! :)

Armadious
30 May 2003, 06:36 PM
The Merr-Sonn Deck Sweeper is found on P&P pg 42 - it is listed as Type: Stunner, and Skill: Blaster

The BlasTech Firespray DL-87 is on pg 43, Type: Wide field blaster, Skill: Blaster: deck clearer

Jan Tolbara
30 May 2003, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by Armadious
The Merr-Sonn Deck Sweeper is found on P&P pg 42 - it is listed as Type: Stunner, and Skill: Blaster

The BlasTech Firespray DL-87 is on pg 43, Type: Wide field blaster, Skill: Blaster: deck clearer

That's a step in the right direction. Is there any indication of pistol or rifle in the capsule for the weapons? Or, are the game notes from page 1 of this thread identical to the one listed in the book? (Not going to make any accusations. Just curious.)

Armadious
30 May 2003, 09:03 PM
No, the capsule does not say one way or the other. The game notes on pg 1 is basicly the same text with a little re-arangement.

Jan Tolbara
4 June 2003, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by Armadious
No, the capsule does not say one way or the other. The game notes on pg 1 is basicly the same text with a little re-arangement.

Well, that doesn't help. Thanks, Armadious. :)

With this in mind, I am going to post a poll in the D6 forum about this to get an idea of whether people think it should be a pistol or a rifle.